Going into Year 11? - some advice from a 2014 HSC'er (1 Viewer)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Just curious - what are some of the EC you guys did in year 11? :)
Year 11:
Didn't do as much EC as I would hope to do, but I was part of a event planning committee and I was head of design. That consumed so much time!
Graphic design and web manager for friend's public speaking competition
(Tutoring lmao jfc)

Year 12:
SRC
Touch Football
Badminton
Formal Committee

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
is EC - Extra Curricular i honestly do not know lol. What's Formal Committee?

salshel

HSC
although there is a lot of bias against science and math in our school, i.e. execs are jumping for joy and shitting themselves when people choose to drop maths/science
Hahahah omgosh so true xD

I'm curious as to what scholarships people are referring to when they say: "Keep your eyes out for any scholarships in Year 11". Help? :D

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Hahahah omgosh so true xD

I'm curious as to what scholarships people are referring to when they say: "Keep your eyes out for any scholarships in Year 11". Help? :D
I think it's using year 11 to prepare yourself for scholarships at prospective uni's. I know I started taking school more seriously in year 11 and 12 for not only HSC, but for scholarship stuff as well (need those EC's lol)

is EC - Extra Curricular i honestly do not know lol. What's Formal Committee?
Formal Committee - a group of people who help plan the year's formal

enoilgam

HSC
SRC this year (year 12 2013-14) :) missed out on prefect (2013) and SRC for the previous years
This is another good thing to add to a CV for HSC students and recent school leavers as it demonstrates leadership experience (which is something employers look for).

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
if ur not src, can u lie for scholarship application or do they want evidence, lol

QZP

HSC
if ur not src, can u lie for scholarship application or do they want evidence, lol
Why do you keep asking this? Good luck getting a scholarship with that mindset.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
coz no one has answered my question yet!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
This thread is 120% amazeballs.

I think this is such an important point - it is really crucial to identify where you went wrong. Yes, year 11 is a "trial" run, but with all "trials", it's a good opportunity to see where you went wrong and figure out how to improve. (sounds like you're doing past papers for maths hahah!!)
On this point too, yr 11 is a trial run, you want to put a bit of effort in to know your strengths and limitations but not to burn out.

I often mention that yr 11 was my worst year academically, and yr 12 my best which is true. See part of was that I freaked a little about the rise in competition once people started working. There were also other new factors cropping up (RE: a very toxic friendship and a very sick relative) but I had to deal with these same factors to a point in yr 12 as well, but I'd developed a better outlook for it from the yr 11 experience.

So honestly, be constructive not critical to yourself. Focus on yourself rather than on others. Kindest thing you can do to yourself going into snr schooling imho. And stick to your gut on subjects. Basically everything RR has put so lovely and eloquently.

Just curious - what are some of the EC you guys did in year 11? :)
Thinking back a bit for me here, but in yr 11 stuff off the top of my head;

*Selected into NYSF
*Stuff with KLDYS
*Red Shield Appeal
*Legacy Appeal
*SMH Young Writer's
*Athletics Carnival
*Sports coaching at a disabilities school
*Debating
*14 hrs of dance, did my RAD Adv 1
*Eisteddfods/other dance comps
*Volunteering with younger students at dancing
*Went to Vietnam/Cambodia with school
*Simpson Essay contest (though that was tech at end of yr 10, but awards were in yr 11)
*Prefect from Tm4
*ICAS/UNSW comps

coz no one has answered my question yet!
I have told you not to do it.

Tbh, someone in my year at school lied about something for something once (not a schol but something else important) so then it would have looked awks as hell when I inadvertently killed their lying game :p

Last edited:

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
- Stay organised
- prioritize your work
- keep a diary with your HW, assessments, exams etc.
- start your assignments as soon as you get them
- don't leave things to the last minute or put them off
- set aside time to make study notes
- ask for help from peers, teachers
- don't work too many hours (+8 hrs)
- talk to someone if you're becoming overwhelmed
- keep a level head

Remember year 11 isn't 'is all, end all'... Work yourselves up for year 12

good luck!

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
because I'm 120% amazeballs

lying and cheating can only get you so far, i.e. nowhere. better to work hard for something that claim you do, it doesn't contribute to a personal integrity (it actually degrades it, making prospective uni's and employers less inclined to consider you for any placements or anything). and if you were exposed, hahaha damn that would suck.

Erinaceous

HSC
Year 11:
Didn't do as much EC as I would hope to do, but I was part of a event planning committee and I was head of design. That consumed so much time!
Graphic design and web manager for friend's public speaking competition
(Tutoring lmao jfc)

Year 12:
SRC
Touch Football
Badminton
Formal Committee
what's jfc? C:
lol I doubt my school has a event planning committee xD Last time for the src round, we didn't even need to have speeches at the year meeting, because there were so few people trying out for src a.k.a no one except the current src tried out

Were the graphic design and web manager roles for your friend's public speaking competition just something you volunteered or was it more a paid job? Come to think of it, does EC include jobs? as in paid jobs?

Touch footie and badminton wise - out of school or in school? :) Thanks<3

This is another good thing to add to a CV for HSC students and recent school leavers as it demonstrates leadership experience (which is something employers look for).
Are there any other forms of leadership roles that you can think of which will count in terms of EC? Thanks :D

On this point too, yr 11 is a trial run, you want to put a bit of effort in to know your strengths and limitations but not to burn out.

I often mention that yr 11 was my worst year academically, and yr 12 my best which is true. See part of was that I freaked a little about the rise in competition once people started working. There were also other new factors cropping up (RE: a very toxic friendship and a very sick relative) but I had to deal with these same factors to a point in yr 12 as well, but I'd developed a better outlook for it from the yr 11 experience.

So honestly, be constructive not critical to yourself. Focus on yourself rather than on others. Kindest thing you can do to yourself going into snr schooling imho. And stick to your gut on subjects. Basically everything RR has put so lovely and eloquently.

Thinking back a bit for me here, but in yr 11 stuff off the top of my head;

*Selected into NYSF
*Stuff with KLDYS
*Red Shield Appeal
*Legacy Appeal
*SMH Young Writer's
*Athletics Carnival
*Sports coaching at a disabilities school
*Debating
*14 hrs of dance, did my RAD Adv 1
*Eisteddfods/other dance comps
*Volunteering with younger students at dancing
*Went to Vietnam/Cambodia with school
*Simpson Essay contest (though that was tech at end of yr 10, but awards were in yr 11)
*Prefect from Tm4
*ICAS/UNSW comps

I have told you not to do it.

Tbh, someone in my year at school lied about something for something once (not a schol but something else important) so then it would have looked awks as hell when I inadvertently killed their lying game :p
Apparently in terms of ICAS and UNSW comps, you do it but you don't bother putting them down if you get credit or below..? Or is it a good idea to put all your credentials down just to show that you've participated? XD
what's
- SMH young writers?
- NYSE
- KLDYS?

Thank you~<3

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
what's jfc? C:
lol I doubt my school has a event planning committee xD Last time for the src round, we didn't even need to have speeches at the year meeting, because there were so few people trying out for src a.k.a no one except the current src tried out

Were the graphic design and web manager roles for your friend's public speaking competition just something you volunteered or was it more a paid job? Come to think of it, does EC include jobs? as in paid jobs?

Touch footie and badminton wise - out of school or in school? :) Thanks<3
urban dictionary jfc......hahaha...
nah, we didn't have speeches for src either. It's all self-nominated and I guess to a particular extent, its a popularity vote, but in past years, a majority of people who got SRC were fit for the position, so it's a conscious vote too :p (not just a popularity one!)

nah, all the leadership stuff and group projects are all volunteered roles haha :p and I don't think paid jobs are categorised the same as EC's, just list them separately, in conjunction with the activities you already participate in.

touch footy - in school
badminton - outside of school
:)

curiousteacup

HSC
Thanks so much for this - I've just started yr 11 and it's taking a while to realise the difference between yr 10 and yr 11.

kristru

HSC
I'm going into year 11 this year as well....Should I start making notes for year 12 sciences as well? My tutor says its not really necessary for physics but for chemistry it might be a good idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)