Good luck, everybody! (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hi all!

I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck for your HSC. Additionally, here are a few things I was told this time last year that you may find helpful (past HSC students feel free to add):

* The vast majority of HSC students will, at the very least, pass all their subjects. YAY! Don't stress yourselves silly thinking you'll fail, because chances are you won't. Focus all your energies on doing as well as you can - bearing in mind that your chances of passing are very high, it's just a matter of how much you can increase the pass mark --> your mark ratio.

* Stressing will not help you out! All you need is already in your head. The more stressed out you are, the harder it will be to access this information. Be calm, be happy, have faith in yourself, and do it. Remember: The HSC will be a lot easier than Trials!

* Try to keep studying regularly. Even if it's only a small amount per day, try and get yourself into a routine. When the HSC starts, you will soon discover that every day feels like a week, and every week feels like a year. If you have an extended break from study DURING the HSC, it may be difficult to pick it up again closer to the exam. Consistency, people! :) It's never too late to start!

* Take care of yourself! Eating well and sleeping well means you'll study well. No-one performs well after a half night's worth of cramming, particularly not when you won't remember half the stuff you cram anyway.

* Take each day a step at a time. Once an exam is over, it is OVER - don't waste time kicking yourself for screwing up question 43, because it is OVER. Unless you pick that subject up in University, YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO STUDY IT EVER AGAIN! YAY!!!! And even if you are picking it up in University, nothing you do or say can change what happened in the Exam room. For all intents and purposes, it is OVER! Yay! Give yourself a pat on the back, and turn your attention to the next exam.

* And finally, remember that BOS is always here for you. Last year, BOS became a massive study-fest the week before and during the HSC exams. BOS doesn't have to be procrastination provided you partake in intelligent, productive conversation. The forums are there - use them! :)

Best wishes!

HSC
awwwww thats real sweet:D thanks heaps. i dont think ilol be stessing about the exams, its more the pressure my families putting on me:(

but i hope all goes well:)

HSC
N/A
lil lelu said:
awwwww thats real sweet:D thanks heaps. i dont think ilol be stessing about the exams, its more the pressure my families putting on me:(

but i hope all goes well:)
:( Sorry to hear about the family pressure.

Try to ignore it, if you can. The best conditions for you to work in are calm, supportive ones - don't let that pressure get to you! Do study for *yourself*, get the results for *yourself*. This is your HSC, not theirs. :)

HSC
glitterfairy said:
:( Sorry to hear about the family pressure.

Try to ignore it, if you can. The best conditions for you to work in are calm, supportive ones - don't let that pressure get to you! Do study for *yourself*, get the results for *yourself*. This is your HSC, not theirs. :)
thankyou:D nice to know someone out there isnt whipping me to get out of bed at 6.30 to get up and study, lol

HSC
N/A
dynamic22 said:
hmm, for my legal studies exam i studied the night b4, well actually that morning, playing a memory game to help me memorise the legislation. i got the top mark at my school.

The key to studying, is not to know every little possible little thing, but rather, make sure u are fluent on all the possible ideas that they can test u on.

For me, legal studies and the ideas were so simple, its common sense, so i just spent my time remembering the legislation.

i think cramming does work - maybe not for some people, but i made it to uni cramming, and im still cramming and getting the marks.

and also, those who study 10 hours a day... my god, ur just wasting ur time, there is no need to study that much
I'll agree that sometimes cramming can help, but it requires a certain personality... I'll admit that I'm a crammer myself, but we're not supposed to let that become public knowledge *taps side of nose*

If you have a *solid* base of knowledge that you understand, it's easier to tack on bits and pieces (which you retain). However, if you know absolutely nothing, trying to cram x definitions into your head won't work, and as you've mentioned, it's better to try and get to a level of understanding of the core concepts.

Timewarp bug strikes again!

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Hi Glitterfairy!

thank u so much

"No-one performs well after a half night's worth of cramming"

so true... so, so trueeeee!

thanks for the advice and encouragment...

Id also like to wish the best of luck to all HSC students. Its almost over... (even though personally i wish it wasn't), but annnnnnnnnyways

Try to keep a postive attitude towards ur exams, if u ever think to urself "oh.. Im gonna fail...etc etc...".... give urself a kick, smash ur skull if need be (i dont really mean that), do whatever it takes to get the negative thoughts out of ur head... and think to urself, "Im gonna get my desired mark, and lets just see whos gonna try and stop me, no one shall stand in my way.... for I am ********* (insert name), I have survived a full year of assessments, a year of stress, a year of nagging - whether it be from teachers, freinds or whoever- why should i stop NOW, HAH?, WHY SHOULD I STOP NOW? I will go into the exam room, read the questions and demolish each answer with a band 6 response (of course making sure ur ANSWERING THE QUESTION)."... etc etc

something i do for motivation, If u have any of the success one books, look at the front cover and say

"Im gonna be on that cover next yr" (dont worry I won't be cause theres always someone ranked above me, but its the thought, get the inspirtaion u need to get the high mark not necesserily the HIGHEST mark in the state)

and after all that, I say this.... Don't worry about the mark ur gonna get, try ur best and let the boardofstudies do the maths...

hmm.. something tells me i should be doing something!

Oh yeah I SHOULD BE STUDYING..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...!

ok, well Good luck CLASS OF 05

Im done!!!

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
2 hours of good study is better than 10 hours of lame "study". However, 10 hours of actual study might be beneficial to those aiming for the *very* high marks. One of the girls who got 99.95 at my school last year achieved her UAI by studying her brains out all year. Of course, I personally wouldn't do that (as I have better things to do, heehee) but it's what she wanted to do, she did it, and got a fabulous UAI as a result. Whatever floats your boat :)

dynamic22

Future Dictator
HSC
hmm, for my legal studies exam i studied the night b4, well actually that morning, playing a memory game to help me memorise the legislation. i got the top mark at my school.

The key to studying, is not to know every little possible little thing, but rather, make sure u are fluent on all the possible ideas that they can test u on.

For me, legal studies and the ideas were so simple, its common sense, so i just spent my time remembering the legislation.

i think cramming does work - maybe not for some people, but i made it to uni cramming, and im still cramming and getting the marks.

and also, those who study 10 hours a day... my god, ur just wasting ur time, there is no need to study that much

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
dynamic22 said:
Some ppl prefer to do as many past papers as possible. Ur not wasting ur time by doing 10 hours, spending 5 hours doing nothing is wasting ur time.

Som ppl need to study 10 hours, for whatever reason, they may have been lazy throughout the year or on the contrary may want to be on the "success one front cover"... oh and some subjects need that much study, for english i know if i study 6 hours all up i'll be as ready as ever to do the exam, but 6 hours of physics will probably give me the ability to answer the multiple choice section and the first few questions of the exam...

some ppl need to do 10 hours to get their desired mark whether it be an 80 or a 90...

I really should be studying!... lol anywas im off!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!

Have fun with your last minute preparations. Remember in 1 weeks time we will never have to think about journeys again!

/random question: Will the HSC scavenger hunt be on again this year?

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
what the hell is a hsc scavenger hunt? anyway, thank alot glitterfairy. your advice was quite helpful and kinda calmed me down. i don't really feel much stress, but again, its always the stress that my parents make me feel beacuse they think i don't care or i don't feel any stress just coz i don't show it. oh well, its gonna all be over soon, and if i get a crap uai, like less than 85, whoever asks why not 90, im gonna fully tell them off, because im sick and tired of fulfilling the expectations of everyone in this society. im doing this damn hsc for myself, not for others to look and say, ooh look she got a good UAI.

mishka

HSC
N/A
good luck everyone!! :D my thoughts are with you all.

p.s: does anyone have a complete final HSC exam timetable? The one on Board of Studies is missing 2 pages and I've only found the advance copy on bos. Some punk I know doesn't know when his exams are :eek:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
mishka said:
good luck everyone!! :D my thoughts are with you all.

p.s: does anyone have a complete final HSC exam timetable? The one on Board of Studies is missing 2 pages and I've only found the advance copy on bos. Some punk I know doesn't know when his exams are :eek:
Mishka, just tell him to check Students Online, as that will have all of his exams and their locations listed.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Good luck everyone!
Yeah Scavenger Hunt sounds good :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)