Good raw mark for UAI (1 Viewer)

Husayn

Banned
HSC
What would a good raw mark be for the UAI??

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
IcyTommo said:
i think 90/120 would be band 5 ish....
I actually think a band 5 raw mark would be closer to 70/120 (in 2003, 73/120 was scaled to 82%). Now I know I have said this before, but what we should remember is that firstly, the raw mark band cut-offs were pre-determined by the Board of Studies, on the basis of what THEY thought a certain mark should be. Secondly, the mark itself will not be a reflection of whether it contributes well to our UAI or not, as UAI is a ranking in the state basically. So a HSC mark of 75 in Maths may still put you in the top 25% of the state. It is all very complicated, so all we can really do is have confidence that we did our best, and it wil all fall into place.

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
IcyTommo said:
i think 90/120 would be band 5 ish....
I think a 90/120 would go to about a 90 hsc mark- considering it was a difficult exam and in previous years its been around 94/120 for a band 6- but it all depends on how hard the board thought it was

Husayn

Banned
HSC
I'm not talking about aligned marks, I mean with regards to previous years, what has been a good raw mark for UAI purposes?

littlebinzy

I hate it to break it to you guys, but the Board of Studies have never released details about what raw marks got what bands. Teachers have complained (my mum is one of them) about the fact that this means they can't give their student a guide as to how well they'll go, but there's no real point in speculating. Just focus on your other subjects and do the best in them, you can't do anything about maths now...

volition

arr.
HSC
littlebinzy said:
I hate it to break it to you guys, but the Board of Studies have never released details about what raw marks got what bands. Teachers have complained (my mum is one of them) about the fact that this means they can't give their student a guide as to how well they'll go, but there's no real point in speculating. Just focus on your other subjects and do the best in them, you can't do anything about maths now...
As far as I'm aware, there have been some raw marks released to people who applied under the FOI act. Not many though, and I don't think they do it anymore.

mcbec

HSC
i think thats kinda dodge.... really annoying... we never ever get to know what we got in our exams, or what we got right or wrong, coz we never get to find out raw marks n by the time answers come out for it we'll have forgotten what we put as an answer! :( so really we dont get much of an indication of how we went at all, all we get are some moderated and scaled marks that they determine god knows how

dr3amy

i think you can get your raw marks not completely sure but you need to pay something like $50 per subject (something pretty stupid like that)

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
littlebinzy said:
I hate to break it to you, but the Board of Studies has released raw marks before, and hence there are statistics from previous years which show what raw mark got one band, so people are able to make speculations if they wish.

How about that...my mum is not even a teacher...

shiroangel

akaNiCoL3
HSC
just before the hsc, my teacher provided us with the raw marks from last year which received band 6s....so for last year....if you got 103/120, that's scaled to 90%....and this is the true stat from the Board of Studies....so for band 5...probably 90 something...

skyrockets1530

Member++
HSC
shiroangel said:
just before the hsc, my teacher provided us with the raw marks from last year which received band 6s....so for last year....if you got 103/120, that's scaled to 90%....and this is the true stat from the Board of Studies....so for band 5...probably 90 something...
Are you sure those are raw marks? more likely they are the aligned marks which are then scaled- although i dont think maths scales up that much, data obtained through the freedom of information act suggests that a 94-96/120 would recieve a 90 HSC mark.

Also, how did your teacher obtain all the raw marks?

shiroangel

akaNiCoL3
HSC
from the Board of Studies probably....they probably sent them the cut offs or something....teacher also gave us the cut offs for 3u and 4u.....lyk for 3u if u get 58/84, thats 90%

HSC
Don't know if anyone remembers, but a couple of years ago there was a similar uproar about the 2u paper, where people were saying how ridiculously hard it was, etc.. Anyway, was talking to a friend who was in that year, and he said that for that paper he would have answered less than half of it.. and i dont think his assessments were heaps high, and he got a mark of 84 back... so there is hope!

JAmescarr

Aligning

Despite what some of you on this forum believe you can discover what the cut-off marks are for band placements. Although (under normal circumstances) the Board does not realise raw marks, under the Freedom of Information Act 1989(which can be found at http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/foia1989222/) you may request any information regasrding government documents.

Though there are indeed restrictions to what you may request (very few) one of my friends, a fellow year 12 who completed the 4 unit course a year early (last year) has knowledge of the band cut-offs in documents. I believe that last year's cut-off for a band 6 was approximately 94. This firend posts under the name Captain Pi and is one of the best people to turn to for knowledge of the HSC system.

Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)