graduate med?? arts undergrad degree? (1 Viewer)

jojosiwa123

HSC
hey guys, if anyone has experience w graduate medicine could you please help me out... my ucat wasn't too great and my atar honestly I have no clue. I really want to do medicine but now I'm really concerned that I won't be able to get into graduate med even... my questions are all over the place sorry!
I know you have to maintain a high GPA, no matter what undergrad degree you do- realistically, how difficult is this?(for a science degree eg bachelor of science, medical science) How many hrs of study per day...is there any kind of study/life balance...? I do better in humanities courses so would I be better off doing a bachelor of arts at uni to maintain a high GPA? How difficult is GAMSAT and when should I start studying for it?

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
Not too sure about any of the specifics, but I know that some certain graduate medicine schools (Melbourne and a few others) have certain prerequisites you have to cover in your undergrad degree. In an Arts degree you get a lot of elective space where you can fulfil those units whereas more restrictive degrees like Law might not have the space to do those extra units.

Medicine is really hard to get into regardless if it's undergrad or postgrad so it's good to have a backup plan. Will you be satisfied with a BA? Are there any allied health professions that take your fancy? Since you like humanities maybe psychology interests you?

Regarding GPA it's different for everyone - people have different strengths. However, degrees with lots of practical/clinical assessment e.g. dentistry and oral health are harder to get a high GPA than other degrees which u can just memorise and rote learn for exams.

jojosiwa123

HSC
Not too sure about any of the specifics, but I know that some certain graduate medicine schools (Melbourne and a few others) have certain prerequisites you have to cover in your undergrad degree. In an Arts degree you get a lot of elective space where you can fulfil those units whereas more restrictive degrees like Law might not have the space to do those extra units.

Medicine is really hard to get into regardless if it's undergrad or postgrad so it's good to have a backup plan. Will you be satisfied with a BA? Are there any allied health professions that take your fancy? Since you like humanities maybe psychology interests you?

Regarding GPA it's different for everyone - people have different strengths. However, degrees with lots of practical/clinical assessment e.g. dentistry and oral health are harder to get a high GPA than other degrees which u can just memorise and rote learn for exams.
do you know if medical science has a lot of practical/clinical assessments?

quickoats

HSC
do you know if medical science has a lot of practical/clinical assessments?
There’s zero haha... it’s not a clinical/vocational degree. Tbh I wouldn’t do medsci unless you were really interested in becoming a researcher, as there’s not much you can do with the degree if you don’t make it into postgrad med.

Mazar97

HSC
I’m in the same situation as you. From what I’ve understood, don’t do medical science if you aren’t interested in it as the job prospect isn’t high and it leads to research which you may not be interested in. Instead, do a course that you wouldn’t mind having a career in if post grad medicine doesn’t work out.
For example, I’m going to do nursing cause I can see myself enjoying a career in it if I don’t get into medicine. Nursing also opens door to career such as Nurse practitioner which is kind of similar to a doctor.

Mazar97

HSC

Medicine is really hard to get into regardless if it's undergrad or postgrad so it's good to have a backup plan. Will you be satisfied with a BA? Are there any allied health professions that take your fancy? Since you like humanities maybe psychology interests you?Regarding GPA it's different for everyone - people have different strengths. However, degrees with lots of practical/clinical assessment e.g. dentistry and oral health are harder to get a high GPA than other degrees which u can just memorise and rote learn for exams.
I’m pretty sure Melbourne doesn’t require prerequisites as from 2022

dasfas

HSC
I’m in the same situation as you. From what I’ve understood, don’t do medical science if you aren’t interested in it as the job prospect isn’t high and it leads to research which you may not be interested in. Instead, do a course that you wouldn’t mind having a career in if post grad medicine doesn’t work out.
For example, I’m going to do nursing cause I can see myself enjoying a career in it if I don’t get into medicine. Nursing also opens door to career such as Nurse practitioner which is kind of similar to a doctor.
Nursing is a good op

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)