Group of 8 Unis..what happens if one ranks below 8? (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
So..what would happen if Adelaide ranked 9th for one year? Would Go8 banish them and let in whoever was 8th for that year :S?

runnable

HSC
There is no official Australian ranking of universities. And no GO8 does not change.

dolbinau

HSC
Well the ranking (which Go8 is based off I thought), is based on the relative international rankings of Aus unis.

So what determines what unis are in "Go8" then?

runnable

HSC
Which international ranking? THES? Shanghai Jiaotong? It just happens that the GO8 are the leading universities in Australia and they rank in the top 8 of Aus unis internationally.

Ayatollah

HSC
N/A
It is almost comical how 99% of the people talking about uni selection on here are high school students wishing to do an undergraduate degrees like commerce, econ, law etc which has no impact on whether the school is tier 1 or not so research intensive. These rankings only carry any kind of meaningful distinction if you're planning on doing a phd or academic career, but most of you are too immature to realise that undergrad has nothing to do with research or research reputation.

So for example, just because your university has some kind of research reputation for law and is cited in many peer reviewed journals does not mean that your undergraduate law degree carries with it that kind of cachet by association (unless you're somehow doing llm or Phd
dont listen to this person, only go to group-of-8 uni's, non-research uni's are pretty much TAFE's, they're not academic and dont have proper professors

Ayatollah

HSC
N/A
yea but they dont publish it in good journals you lowly bogan

Ayatollah

HSC
N/A
No. At the risk of name dropping i have evidence to the contrary. Stop misleading others.

I'm smarter than you'll ever be.

yet you go to 'murdoch' university..(not even group of eight) and study politics and criminology....repulsive stuff
basically 'low' thinkers such as yourself get told when/what/how to think by us highers

Ayatollah

HSC
N/A
it's a sad little applied humanity, no intellegence required, not one nobel laureate has a degree in it, basically for weirdos who want to get easy uni credit
make the inference.

HSC
N/A
What's wrong with criminology? Murdoch has the best criminology program in my state. I am doing an internship at the department of the attorney general and i have found i have been able to engage the policy officers there by talking about relevant issues like mandatory sentencing and secondary crime prevention in relation to what our new attorney general is doing.
isnt criminology for those eugenics nostaligcs, IMO there's something strange about spending your life trying to 'punish' and 'clense' those who act up.

Ayatollah

HSC
N/A
Criminology is the scientific study of the nature, extent, causes, and control of criminal behavior in both the individual and in society. Criminology is an interdisciplinary field in the behavioral sciences, drawing especially upon the research of sociologists and psychologists, as well as on writings in law. Areas of research in criminology include the incidence, forms, causes and consequences of crime, as well as social and governmental regulations and reaction to crime.

It's a social science.

I wouldn't call the foundation of our modern justice system (principles of sentencing) - Utilitarianism and retributivism - "a sad little applied humanity with no intelligence required"
how patheitc..you spend years studying this rubbish and you need to cut and paste its definiton of wikipedia..
you strike me as someone who doesnt actually understand concepts such as 'utilitarianism' (I doubt this silly and old fashioned doctrine has much do with crimonology, most likely you just saw the word at the bottom of the first paragraph of the 'criminology' wiki).

Not sure what my studies have to with your sad little syllabus, but I'm at one of the top research uni's in australia doing a proper academic (math's, science, economics) course (something like 96+ high school score entry cut-off)

Ayatollah

HSC
N/A
I'm not even going to bother with you.

However, I have applied to do postgrad at ANU. Which is the most prestigious and highest ranking in all of the GO8. If i get accepted, you'll be the first person i'll be telling since these things mean so much to you.

In the mean time, you can sit back, relax and watch those red squares multiply.
too bad postgrad is shit in australia...U.S.A is where its at.
how embarrasing

hotdimsim

HSC
dont listen to this person, only go to group-of-8 uni's, non-research uni's are pretty much TAFE's, they're not academic and dont have proper professors
pls ban this troll.

and if you aren't a troll, then i hope you fail in your uni studies.

HSC
N/A
pls ban this troll.

and if you aren't a troll, then i hope you fail in your uni studies.
i agree he's being rude but he does have a point..lowly, none-research uni's (Australian Catholic Uni, etc) dont attract good professors and dont produce high level research. But there's a demand for them because lots of people get scores below 80 and for some reason still want to go to university.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Go8, so what? If they export graduates who are rude, poor-mannered, who cannot get over their ego. They at most produce university graduates who hold a degree/or degrees, but not true upper class nobles.
You are thinking of Bond University

hotdimsim

HSC
i agree he's being rude but he does have a point..lowly, none-research uni's (Australian Catholic Uni, etc) dont attract good professors and dont produce high level research. But there's a demand for them because lots of people get scores below 80 and for some reason still want to go to university.
i can concede that some uni's are pretty poor in both teaching and research output (acu, vic uni to name some) but to pigeon hole all uni's that arent part of a back slapping lobby group like the go8 as shitehouse then that is just plain ignorance.

its even worse when he/she acts all high and mighty because he/she is apparently in a course 'that actually means something' in a uni that measures up to their standards because of rankings that mean jack shit.

and the final line of your post is just as bad as what ayatollah is saying. so you think that, if your not in the top 20% of your state, you shouldnt be allowed to go to uni?

HSC
N/A
the Go8 are pretty obviously 'the best' unis in australia..
now you may have a different criteria as to what makes a uni 'good', I value research output, quality of proffesors, academic rigor, facilities etc, while you might value 'hands on' experience, low contact hours, 'easy' to pass, cheapness, etc
now if you get an enter score of less than 80 due to sheer bad luck (illness during year 12, family issues, some kind of panic attack in the exams), and you want to go to uni to gain knowledge, go ahead you probably belong there. But if you're a true '70' or whatever, no, you should not be going to proper universities, TAFE/'practical work' is your destiny, you may be a great success, just not academically.

hotdimsim

HSC
How are the go8 pretty obviously 'the best' in australia? Because they say so? You really are the ultimate product of a uni's ability to self promote.

I do value the things you state, such as being academically challenging, quality of facilities, high level of teaching staff ability. However, these qualities are not resigned to the go8. Many uni's display them, and ultimately it is up to you to research which one suits your needs best (course, job prospects, facilities, location etc.)

In reference to research output, this has absolutely no bearing on the quality of undergraduate course made avaliable, and in many cases the postgraduate qualifications on offer (ie a masters by coursework as opposed to a phd, which is heavily research based and the former is not) Many uni's do not conduct their 'own' research at all, yet provide facilities for others to do so. A perfect example is Monash Uni, which has a TAC road accident test centre, a paper research centre and the elephant in the room, 'their own' government controlled particle accelerator. These are used by both the private and public sector, yet have no affiliation with Monash's students. Yet, when research is commissioned, Monash gets a mention. Not to mention their wind tunnel, which costs so much to run that it rarely is used, and when it is, is used by the private sector who are willing to pay for the privelage.
Yes some uni's conduct research better than others, however, you cannot use this as a basis for your decision to study there unless your actually going to be engaging in research in the first place!
Finally, how can you argue that your TER or ATAR dictates how well you will succeed at uni. Many students who ace year 12 struggle with uni studies, and its a 2 way street. It all depends on the person, and a persons strengths and weaknesses (as well as their suitability for future study) cannot be reduced to a single number, on a ranking scale from 1 to 100.
Furthermore, a 'true 70' would dictate that, in a room of 50 people, that person would be in the top 15 students. In society, that is a pretty good ranking (when you consider the idiots that seem to exist in the world) and by your theory, they still shouldnt be allowed in the 'upper class' which seems to be your utopia of uni alumni only.

Realistically, you should try and get that pole that is stuck up your ass out. I pity the people that have to deal with you on a daily basis. You really remind me of the person who brags to everyone about the fact they got their 1st preference, or what uni they attend, or what their plans for the future are, or what their enter was. We just dont give a flying fuck about it. So, please, piss off and take your misguided opinions with you.

HSC
N/A
How are the go8 pretty obviously 'the best' in australia? Because they say so? You really are the ultimate product of a uni's ability to self promote.

I do value the things you state, such as being academically challenging, quality of facilities, high level of teaching staff ability. However, these qualities are not resigned to the go8. Many uni's display them, and ultimately it is up to you to research which one suits your needs best (course, job prospects, facilities, location etc.)

In reference to research output, this has absolutely no bearing on the quality of undergraduate course made avaliable, and in many cases the postgraduate qualifications on offer (ie a masters by coursework as opposed to a phd, which is heavily research based and the former is not) Many uni's do not conduct their 'own' research at all, yet provide facilities for others to do so. A perfect example is Monash Uni, which has a TAC road accident test centre, a paper research centre and the elephant in the room, 'their own' government controlled particle accelerator. These are used by both the private and public sector, yet have no affiliation with Monash's students. Yet, when research is commissioned, Monash gets a mention. Not to mention their wind tunnel, which costs so much to run that it rarely is used, and when it is, is used by the private sector who are willing to pay for the privelage.
Yes some uni's conduct research better than others, however, you cannot use this as a basis for your decision to study there unless your actually going to be engaging in research in the first place!
Finally, how can you argue that your TER or ATAR dictates how well you will succeed at uni. Many students who ace year 12 struggle with uni studies, and its a 2 way street. It all depends on the person, and a persons strengths and weaknesses (as well as their suitability for future study) cannot be reduced to a single number, on a ranking scale from 1 to 100.
Furthermore, a 'true 70' would dictate that, in a room of 50 people, that person would be in the top 15 students. In society, that is a pretty good ranking (when you consider the idiots that seem to exist in the world) and by your theory, they still shouldnt be allowed in the 'upper class' which seems to be your utopia of uni alumni only.

Realistically, you should try and get that pole that is stuck up your ass out. I pity the people that have to deal with you on a daily basis. You really remind me of the person who brags to everyone about the fact they got their 1st preference, or what uni they attend, or what their plans for the future are, or what their enter was. We just dont give a flying fuck about it. So, please, piss off and take your misguided opinions with you.
wow long post, too bad most of it is emotional rubbish..
The reason why I 'rate' research output, is because in correlates with good professors, (and in your 3rd and 4th years you can work closely with them, get them to be your 'supervisor' etc), when you realise why there are no nobel prize winners down at East Bundaberg TAFE (..i.e. non go8), you'll understand my point.
Of course other uni's offer a degree of of 'academic rigor', 'facilities', etc..my only point is the go8 uni's will likely offer the highest level.
Stop projecting your inferiority complex onto others.
I think the most disturbing aspect of of post is when you bring up how you hate others 'bragging', this is how I suspect it really plays out.

You: 'hey, how'd you go?'

them: 'yea good, got into UNSW, what about you'

You: ' I am, uh (starting to sweat)...got into the best uni for my particular i
interest, UNSW is actual shit you know, it's all marketing, you score doesnt mean shit anyway, I mean (you start raising your voice) truely smart people actually get low scores all the time, MY UNI HAS GUD RANKINGS FOR STUDENT SATISFACTION, STOP BRAGGING YOU AROGANT-'

Them: *walks away*

hotdimsim

HSC
i actually got into a go8 uni......seriously....their not that spesh.

and considering you only reiterated a previously stated point, and then latched onto my own opinion of you to argue against rather than a valid argument, shows that you having nothing more to argue, as you know your wrong.

And YOUR primary reason for arguing is that you probably hold your go8 uni on such a pedestal that when someone comes along and argues against it, your sense of accomplishment diminishes. And you dont want it to, as your the one with the inferiority complex.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)