Guide for year 10 students (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coroneos

DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING:

Select Chemistry/Physics for year 11 subjects. These subjects are not great value for effort vs results.

Business Studies/Economics/Legal Studies - I highly recommend all of these. They are simple, easy to attain a band 6 result if you study and practice essays.

do NOT choose subjects based on

A) your friends choices
B) scaling

Choose subjects based on

- interests
- skills

This is why I chose Economics + Legal Studies

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
how about add :

do not choose subjects based on EFFORT / do not listen to coroneos by sayin u shudn choose chem + phys

what if ur actually interested in chem + phys

idiot.

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
My guide to the SC was much better...

This guide i give 2 points....

Kulazzi

HSC
I chose chem then it clashed wid two other subject so I chose Physics instead and I did choose Bus. Stud.

Does n e one know if SDD scales the same as 4 unit maths?

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
how about add :

do not choose subjects based on EFFORT / do not listen to coroneos by sayin u shudn choose chem + phys

what if ur actually interested in chem + phys

idiot.
i agree... not everyone has the same taste as you coroneos...maybe theres poeple out there who want a challenge...and who happen to be interested..pfttt.....

Rahul

Dead Member
all subjects have their pros and cons....depends on the person like it has been mentioned.

for eg- i hate sdd. it will probably be my worst subject.....but for others its gunna be better for another

very generalised coroneos....

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
i emphasise Rahul's state. I hate sdd

Seriously, if you think you will be able to get your chance to learn programming then think again. you do do a programming task as part of your HSC course but teachers don't really teach you the program. (Well my teacher didn't)

SDD is all about learning the theory and then applying it to scenarios. A pain in the ass.

Rahul

Dead Member
the biggest pain in the ass is that i loved the programming/assignment bit. i wasnt the best, but i enjoyed it very much, which is quintessential(;)) and the skills you learn in that are not examined in the hsc. like ragerunner said, its all about applying theiry to scenarios.

Jeo

SDD & IPT ARE COOL! ME2 is cool too, ME1 sucks, eng sucks

hey theres this year 10 guy in my school that studies more than me.. :(

i already do 6hrs min / day

is a roflcopter
HSC
economics is a lot of work.....

Jeo

thats why i dropped it after two weeks of year 11 :D

stargaze

HSC
how do u ppls find economics?
atm i am starting yr11 (im in yr10 currently) with 14 units - and will toss up between economics and legal early on.. so ill be down to a reasonable 12 units.. juss wondering how economics is - ive heard a lot about it: very hard, boring and hard to get high marks.. but ppl who have done it: ur opinions?

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
A few of my friends do it and say its very dry and boring, but i personally don't do it so yeah. I do legal and love it, cause i find it easy and enjoy so i don't mind doing it to much, but parts of legal can get really boring and tedious (is that how you spell it lol ahh well). but it can also be really intresting.

what are your other subects, it can be really good if your subjects 'mesh' together..

KarmaKitten

HSC
for those who want to do modern history cause they liked it in yearr 10, the work is a lot harder and more stressful and what is expected of you is a hell of a lot more
but if you enjoy it and can think and write clearly
do it

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
i agree with KarmaKitten but its still really good, especially if you get good depth studies...

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by coroneos
DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING:

Select Chemistry/Physics for year 11 subjects. These subjects are not great value for effort vs results.

Business Studies/Economics/Legal Studies - I highly recommend all of these. They are simple, easy to attain a band 6 result if you study and practice essays.

do NOT choose subjects based on

A) your friends choices
B) scaling

Choose subjects based on

- interests
- skills

This is why I chose Economics + Legal Studies
vehemently opposed to ur anti-phys anti-chem shit. imo that science combo is so easy in terms of work > result ratio. in fact, all sciences are like all u gotta do is understand. no practise essays or any tedious crap like that, just know ur stuff and ur guaranteed with a good mark.

also opposed to ur not choosing subjects on scaling
if youre an adaptive person, go for the scaling ones. the ones that scale good are the extension 2s so start with 3u math and 3u eng so u get access to them in yr 12. make ur choice then. other high scaled ones r languages, hist ext, chem etc. again, if ur adaptive and want the scaling go for it. if u realise u suck at it and its not worth the effort, u can transfer within the first 2 weeks of the year to anything basically.

coroneos

If any of you are thinking of doing this combination:

4unit maths
3unit english
2unit physics
2unit chemistry

I will highly recommend you reconsider. The amount of work you put in is disproportionate to the value of your UAI.

If you choose easy subjects, you will be able to get better marks for less study, which would let you diversify more.

Again-- Chem and/or Physics is a NO GO. Trust me.. I did both.. i wish i hadn't I have to know pick up an extra unit of Maths and English so I can get rid of both.

The amount of content in the Physics syllabus is just about 5x more than that of the legal studies syllabus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)