Guide to choosing subjects for Year 9 & 10 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolliese

Hopeless at giving directions so I won't even both
HSC
re: Guide to choosing subjects for Year 9 & 10

I chose photography, French and IST (In my school you get three electives)
If you knew me you'd realise what weirdo very different choices my electives were. I chose what sounded interesting as its yr 9 and 10!
But that's the thing, I chose the boring stuff I'm good at. So my advice to picking electives for year 9 and 10: be adventurous and go on a limb. For HSC maybe consider talent and duh your future, but year 9 and 10 is trying what you never would have otherwise and see if its as amazing as you imagined.

Me personally:
French: BLEURK! and yet was amazing in yr 8
IST: I chose it coz I sucked at computer stuff and wanted to get better, and by the end it was one of my fav subjects
Photography: Meh half half. Worked my buttocks off and didn't get the recognition for it. Plus realised I suck at the practical ;)
Wow, I chose French, IST, commerce for my electives. French in year 8 was amazing, year 9- not so much, became so hard and the conjugations really test my crap memory. Also back then I thought it would be interesting learning a new language, lol no. Can't French. Dropping it next year defs.
IST- did it because animation and photoshopped interested me. Those units were fun, got 27/28 in my assessment. Then we had robotics- mucked around and didn't listen because it was boring- totally failed (but it won't go in my S1 report yay)
Commerce- did it because of the shopping center excursion and 'commerce day' where we sell stuff. The whole subjects pretty fun, just that the teacher has a grudge on me and keeps directing glares at me. Not my imagination- 100% truth.

Next year I'm thinking of doing
Elec history (dropping French) - normal history classes seem fun, I loved it.. But then we moved to geo -.-
Food tech/Drama (maybe dropping IST) - cannot remember all the technical coding and programming that will be tested next year. Again, bad memory. Food tech people cook food. Me like food. Unfortunately there's food tech theory -.- Or I would do drama - seems so fun, and I like acting in front of a mirror ;) besides I'm not shy to express myself in front of an audience, so I regret not choosing drama.. But I only had 3 choices though :p
Commerce - what can I say. Hopefully I won't get the same darned teacher.

If only I read this thread earlier :/ my parents wanted me to do commerce. I was neutral. Then I was tricked by the French teacher in year 8 D; IST has gone downhill because my favorite units had passed. Damn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FancyPenguin

HSC

I chose commerce and IST(only 2 choices sadly). Be careful with IST as there a quite a few topics which are optional(I got the crap ones like databases and animation) . Commerce is great if you like that sort of stuff and from what I hear is a great basis for business if you're going that route but I find it very boring at times. Also you have do like no homework/revision for these subjects until 2days before the test/assessment (I'm 1st in both subjects), But IST assignments got really annoying due to their size and the portfolio style things which I had to complete. Both are great though if you like that stuff.

For year 9 and 10 i'll say just choose subjects you enjoy or want to try, i really wish i could do elective history but it clashed with commerce. As for languages if you want to do them in year 11-12 then you have to do them in 9-10. Thankfully I chose IST over french, the teacher was terrible and can go sac a dos.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Asian 2: commerce/ist

tofusenpai

HSC

I'm currently in year 9 and I chose Commerce, IST and Photography.

Commerce: Quite boring, a lot of information to absorb but it's very useful and will help you in the future. I took Commerce because it'd branch out to Legal Studies but Year 9 is more business and in year 10 it's more legal studies so yea.

IST: It was a quite laid back subject and I found the majority fun and interesting except for database

Photography: It was very laidback but fun. We spent most of the time in the darkroom and we made our own box camera and developed the pictures (camera obscura) which I found fun although patience is needed especially when you develop your own photos.

I kinda regret some subjects and I really wanted to take Visual Arts as well but it overlapped with IST

-billiris

HSC

I'm currently in year 9 and I chose Commerce, IST and Photography.

Commerce: Quite boring, a lot of information to absorb but it's very useful and will help you in the future. I took Commerce because it'd branch out to Legal Studies but Year 9 is more business and in year 10 it's more legal studies so yea.

IST: It was a quite laid back subject and I found the majority fun and interesting except for database

Photography: It was very laidback but fun. We spent most of the time in the darkroom and we made our own box camera and developed the pictures (camera obscura) which I found fun although patience is needed especially when you develop your own photos.

I kinda regret some subjects and I really wanted to take Visual Arts as well but it overlapped with IST
Commerce is a very easy subject. Just a bit of memorising but most you already know/it's common sense. In Year 9 and 10 I found the content quite interesting, but it also depends on the teacher you get.

tofusenpai

HSC

Commerce is a very easy subject. Just a bit of memorising but most you already know/it's common sense. In Year 9 and 10 I found the content quite interesting, but it also depends on the teacher you get.
Yeh we also had market day which I kinda enjoyed and got a good mark in. The teacher we have is kinda scary if you're on her bad side but she's alright and she teaches well. One time my friend's brother was listening to music in class and she cut his earphones off in front of him -.-

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Thread has been readded and tidyied up but as a closed thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)