Has any one had depression talks? (1 Viewer)

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
My school forced year 12 aka my year to go to a depression talk the other week. Some people, presumably counsellors (at least I hope they were, don't want to go taking adivce from people who arn't experts in it...) came to my school and showed us videos of a depressed guy who had a leaf.... I'm not quite sure what they meant by that. They also gave out pamphlets and made us fill out some survey's and such.

Didn't really help us that much. It actually made most people think they had depression because most of us had the symptoms.

So I'm just curious if any other school has had to go to one yet, and if it actually helped anyone or not.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ nah we have a program thing where we get talks on alcohol and drugs and sex but i dont think we learn about depression. i wish we would though it would be more interesting than the normal sex n drugs spill

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ actually fully reading ur post i think it sounds good, coz then if ppl are depressed they can go see a docter. it must be confusing though coz i guess during year 12 heaps of ppl arent depressed, just stressed thus have sytoms e.g. tired and moody and stuff

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
Yeah one of the most common symptoms is not wanting to get out of bed, being lazy, nothing makes you excited anymore, etc. Most people are like that now becuase it seems like the end of the world that we know is coming too close for comfort... if that makes any sense.

Lol, my friends and I make jokes about our friends new born baby and how it's "depressed" because it's pretty much always sleeping.

I think it was allright, but pretty useless in my case. I allready knew most of what they said, but other schools hould have a talk like that I think, it could help out alot of students in the long run.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ yeah true. im in year 11 but sometimes i get seriously depressed. im not interested in things i love, and the littlest thing smakes me get all moody and upset and sometimes i just dont care about anything. everyone fully asks me if im depressed; there has seriously not been a day in the last 2 weeeks when someone hasnt asked me whats wrong with me, but itz just school work and stuff getting me down, i think, i hope. anyways i think one of the depression talks would be good for me, just so i can be compltelty sure i dont have it and move on

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
yeah. its usually a discussion with me myself and i.

we are all depressed

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
If you don't have a mentor program at your school you could try going to talk to a teacher that you feel comfortable with any way. I know that it would probably kinda awkard or something, but it can't hurt to try. Or maybe you should suggest it to you're year advisor that way other ppl can get help too, and it won't be so obvious.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^^ funny u should say this. i had this full on talk with this teacher and she was really nice about stuff, anyway the talk started coz i was dropping the subject i had her for! anyways so now im like damn ive just dropped the subject with a really good teacher i can talk to. oh well. nah there is other teachers i like though but seriously we arent close ( ie my past science teacher last year was really friendly, but if i went and talked with her she would be like wtf, coz i was really quiet when i had her last year)
maybe i should just seek out a teacher when they r on playground duty ie like just walk casually past hi how r u so anyway ... lolz

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
we've had 3 motivational speakers come in and talk to us.

i was forced to go to the counsellor because i'm new and i was forced to go at my old school because we had "group" problems :eek: but i find it a good way of getting things out of your mind :)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^^ hmm yeah maybe counsellor would help if i was "forced" coz a couple of teachers have asked me if i wanted to go see the conusllour but its like um no okay thats like admiting i have issues but if they said plz go see the counellour alisa i think it would help ya, i would be like yeah okay.

hmmm "group probs" nah they dont send us to counsellour 4 that, they just figure that the "tension" will reslove itself in our skool

funrun

stressed is difrent from depressed. depressed means get help like u dont wanna do nothing like even go on a holiday.

KarmaKitten

HSC
i think its a load of crap. the symptons of depression can be linked to anything!
people nowadays easily say they are depressed. oh please give me a break. i agree there are some people who get depressed, but most people think they are depressed because they are constantly told to be depressed
its crap

santaslayer

HSC
we had stress talks and depression talks when i was in yr 12......
good for those willing to listen...
useless for the majority

alby

cool duckie
HSC
havent had any talks, but i was pretty depressed in yr 9...didnt go see a doc/councillor, just a diary & talked to my friends heaps (only really my best m8...didnt wanna talk 2 anyone else/have anyone else 2 talk 2)...my skool councillor isnt that good, feels weird talking 2 her, but when 1 of the girls in my yr died i went with my m8s to see one of the other ones (they put more on caus there were lotsa ppl who needed 2 talk) she was heaps nice..felt better talkin 2 her than the normal 1

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
they told us that we have to watch our friends and make sure that they are eating properly and stuff and not stressing too much

Shiloh

HSC
My school forced year 12 aka my year to go to a depression talk the other week. Some people, presumably counsellors (at least I hope they were, don't want to go taking adivce from people who arn't experts in it...) came to my school and showed us videos of a depressed guy who had a leaf.... I'm not quite sure what they meant by that. They also gave out pamphlets and made us fill out some survey's and such.

Our school has had big talks on depression etc. Our school councellor is going practically full time cos our year 12 teacher leader is that freaked out that one of us is going to crack or something... the teachers on our backs about whether we are ok is probably more stressful than the actual work and exams we have to deal with.

Last edited:

Marie-Paule

yer we havent had any either.....but 2 girls broke down n started cryin after maths results were given..we diffinately need one of these talks

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmeh
we've had 3 motivational speakers come in and talk to us.

i was forced to go to the counsellor because i'm new and i was forced to go at my old school because we had "group" problems :eek: but i find it a good way of getting things out of your mind :)
shh kimmeh

you got to a "speshal" school thats why ^^

hehe group problems haha, my old school had a hierachy of our group drawn up as they busted 26/30 of us for drugs in year nine.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AsyLum
shh kimmeh

you got to a "speshal" school thats why ^^

hehe group problems haha, my old school had a hierachy of our group drawn up as they busted 26/30 of us for drugs in year nine.
LMAO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)