Has anyone here gotten a band 6 in English Standard? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
So I made the big, big mistake of taking English Standard and I've heard that less than 1(!?) percent of all English Standard students get a band 6??? This is insane?
1) Why is this percentage so low?
2) How do you get a band 6 in this subject?
3) What kind of things should you be doing for english standard?

We just recently got an assessment back and no one got the top mark in any of the three parts. My teacher said she'd been marking the HSC some time ago and very rarely do they ever give the full marks to a response.
This is worrying for me since I just want to do well in all my subjects and maybe get a band 6 in some. Don't know if it's in the realm of possiblity for english though :/ (wish I took advanced..)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
1) the cohort of english standard well lets just say most aren't dedicated to their studies. Out of 180 people in our english standard cohort, I was the only one serious about my study. Secondly you have to realize all selective schools and a lot of the top private schools make advanced their lowest english course so basically all the hard working students are going to be in advanced and so the band 6 rate of advanced english goes higer

Even though I didn't get a band 6 in it all I can say is even if I worked harder I probably still couldn't because I hated english and I just didn't have a great ability to write on the spot, but if you are good at english and work hard for it then you can definitely get a band 6!

Your aim should be to get first in your cohort or at least top 3 for a band 6, however this will vary for different schools IIRC some school gets like 5 state ranks in standard :c

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
1) the cohort of english standard well lets just say most aren't dedicated to their studies. Out of 180 people in our english standard cohort, I was the only one serious about my study. Secondly you have to realize all selective schools and a lot of the top private schools make advanced their lowest english course so basically all the hard working students are going to be in advanced and so the band 6 rate of advanced english goes higer

Even though I didn't get a band 6 in it all I can say is even if I worked harder I probably still couldn't because I hated english and I just didn't have a great ability to write on the spot, but if you are good at english and work hard for it then you can definitely get a band 6!

Your aim should be to get first in your cohort or at least top 3 for a band 6, however this will vary for different schools IIRC some school gets like 5 state ranks in standard :c
That makes,, sense. I only know a few people in my class who are really taking it seriously.
Okay, I'll just have to really study hard for this subject. Thanks for the info! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)