HAST- Selective Application Year 8-12 (1 Viewer)

hstb_

HSC
Hello guys, I(year 9 currently) will be sitting the HAST exam for Girraween High and Penrith High this year (they changed to exam) and I would like to know if there is any tips and past experiences.

For the supporting documents part of the application, I don't have the year 7 Naplan results because I couldn't sit the exams due to an injury that required surgery and the year 9 Naplan was canceled due to COVID. Is the Naplan results a very big part of the selection process? I don't have much extracurricular activities. At my current school Im a junior leader(SRC) and a part of a program called Enviro-club. I was dux of year 8 with all A's except 1B. In competitions, I got distinction in AMC, top 10% in Math Olympiad, history mastermind semi-finalist, commendable in REACH English, regional finals for Tournament of Minds.. For sport, cross country zone team. Is my application alright?

B1andB2

HSC
Hello guys, I(year 9 currently) will be sitting the HAST exam for Girraween High and Penrith High this year (they changed to exam) and I would like to know if there is any tips and past experiences.

For the supporting documents part of the application, I don't have the year 7 Naplan results because I couldn't sit the exams due to an injury that required surgery and the year 9 Naplan was canceled due to COVID. Is the Naplan results a very big part of the selection process? I don't have much extracurricular activities. At my current school Im a junior leader(SRC) and a part of a program called Enviro-club. I was dux of year 8 with all A's except 1B. In competitions, I got distinction in AMC, top 10% in Math Olympiad, history mastermind semi-finalist, commendable in REACH English, regional finals for Tournament of Minds.. For sport, cross country zone team. Is my application alright?
sounds good, don't think naplan is heavily significant since you've got so many other amazing things!

Minari243

HSC
holy crap I think they'd accept you just because you were dux alone. You application looks amazing, but keep in mind, I don't think that Girra or Penrith are opening new classes for yr 10 so how many openings they have depends on how many people leave. Goodluck!

hstb_

HSC
sounds good, don't think naplan is heavily significant since you've got so many other amazing things!
Oh okay thanks , but I have heard from my friend that made it into Penrith last yr that they value extra curricular a lot , and at my current school (Not a good school) doesn’t offer much clubs etc

hstb_

HSC
holy crap I think they'd accept you just because you were dux alone. You application looks amazing, but keep in mind, I don't think that Girra or Penrith are opening new classes for yr 10 so how many openings they have depends on how many people leave. Goodluck!
Yeah, there is only like a few places. I don’t think they will go “wow” with dux because I at a non-selective high school. Oh yeah I have seen your threads before, are you able to give me tips and advices for the HAST exam ? Thank youu!

hstb_

HSC
me too! year 11 entry tho

do we sit the same test?
No I don't think we will. Im pretty sure I will be sitting the middle secondary HAST and you will be sitting the senior secondary HAST. Goodluck I hope you get accepted!

Logical()

HSC
No I don't think we will. Im pretty sure I will be sitting the middle secondary HAST and you will be sitting the senior secondary HAST. Goodluck I hope you get accepted!
thank you you too !!

DrDawn

HSC
N/A
Could someone provide an estimate on how many spots are available for year 11?

hstb_

HSC
Could someone provide an estimate on how many spots are available for year 11?
I think Girraween and Penrith both add an extra class (not certain) of around 20 people for entry into year 11

hstb_

HSC
If anyone has made it into a selective school that required the HAST exam, what percentile did you get because I want to know roughly what percentile gets accepted, thank you!

tito981

HSC
If anyone has made it into a selective school that required the HAST exam, what percentile did you get because I want to know roughly what percentile gets accepted, thank you!
90th percentile your guaranteed to get in.

DrDawn

HSC
N/A
Quick question, see how they are asking for proof for the extracurricular activities you do? How are you going to show proof for stuff like volunteering, etc

Last edited:

c8

HSC
Quick question, see how they are asking for proof for the extracurricular activities you do? How are you going to show proof for stuff like volunteering, etc
For extracurriculars where you have no proof, you can just write a letter briefly outlining what you did and what your role was. I would check with the school as to whether that's valid or not though, wouldn't want to risk it

hstb_

HSC
Would Baulkham Hills accept students that doesn't go to a selective high school?

DrDawn

HSC
N/A
How important is your school if you want to apply but go to a non-selective school?

pyre

HSC
Got into girra this year (Year 11 so there were 20 extra spots but I was never put in the reserve list), honestly, the HAST wasn't too bad its basically just the selective test 2.0. I found it pretty easy, hit 90+ percentile on all 4 parts of the test, the only thing you might need work on is with Abstract Reasoning (General Ability) which is the only tricky part of the test imo. Your application looks crazy good bro with all those achievements, personally I never handed in any apart from a few distinctions on subjects I bothered to do with ICAS and my NAPLAN results were pretty lackluster so as long as you do semi-well in the test I'd think you will get in.

SplashJuice

HSC
Got into girra this year (Year 11 so there were 20 extra spots but I was never put in the reserve list), honestly, the HAST wasn't too bad its basically just the selective test 2.0. I found it pretty easy, hit 90+ percentile on all 4 parts of the test, the only thing you might need work on is with Abstract Reasoning (General Ability) which is the only tricky part of the test imo. Your application looks crazy good bro with all those achievements, personally I never handed in any apart from a few distinctions on subjects I bothered to do with ICAS and my NAPLAN results were pretty lackluster so as long as you do semi-well in the test I'd think you will get in.
How you finding girra lmao

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)