HAST- Selective Application Year 8-12 (1 Viewer)

hstb_

HSC
How important is your school if you want to apply but go to a non-selective school?
I have seen other threads saying that if you go to a selective school already, you have a higher chance of getting in, but my friend from my school got into Penrith last year and I beat her when it came to academic achievements, but she did have lots of extracurricular

hstb_

HSC
Got into girra this year (Year 11 so there were 20 extra spots but I was never put in the reserve list), honestly, the HAST wasn't too bad its basically just the selective test 2.0. I found it pretty easy, hit 90+ percentile on all 4 parts of the test, the only thing you might need work on is with Abstract Reasoning (General Ability) which is the only tricky part of the test imo. Your application looks crazy good bro with all those achievements, personally I never handed in any apart from a few distinctions on subjects I bothered to do with ICAS and my NAPLAN results were pretty lackluster so as long as you do semi-well in the test I'd think you will get in.
I done the test last year and got on the 85th percentile, I found abstract reasoning the easiest and reading the hardest. Thank you but honestly I feel like it isn't that good of an application. But yeah I will try my best for the test. Do you still remember the writing prompt for your HAST and if you did, did you write it in a discursive way? Congrats on making it into Girra too!

SplashJuice

HSC
Really? I though distinction wasn't that good
It is good but you should have done way more competitions , like all the ICAS ones and got Distinction in all, 1 is a bit less but still don't worry I reckon the rest of your application is solid.

hstb_

HSC
It is good but you should have done way more competitions , like all the ICAS ones and got Distinction in all, 1 is a bit less but still don't worry I reckon the rest of your application is solid.
Yeah I definitely wanted to do more, but my school did not offer ICAS in other subjects for some reason

tito981

HSC
I bet all the penrith,girra,nsg etc people will be trying for Baulko though, so I probably have no chance against them
You’d be surprised how many students from these schools actually never try out for any other school after initially getting into a selective school. I would say most students who try out for these schools aren’t already in a selective school.

hstb_

HSC
You’d be surprised how many students from these schools actually never try out for any other school after initially getting into a selective school. I would say most students who try out for these schools aren’t already in a selective school.
I’ve read past threads about Baulko, and the person that got in said most of the other applicants were from good selective schools. Well I hope it will be mostly non-selective schools applying

tito981

HSC
I’ve read past threads about Baulko, and the person that got in said most of the other applicants were from good selective schools. Well I hope it will be mostly non-selective schools applying
I was referring to the other schools you listed.

hstb_

HSC
Hey guys, I was offered an opportunity to tutor Primary kids math (volunteer) but it wouldn't start until like start of term 3 which is when the selective application closes. Am I still able to mention it? I have never had experience with volunteering, if someone has done volunteering before, can you tell me how it is like? Thank you

hstb_

HSC
Hey guys, I was offered an opportunity to tutor Primary kids math (volunteer) but it wouldn't start until like start of term 3 which is when the selective application closes. Am I still able to mention it? I never had experience with volunteering, if someone has done volunteering before, can you tell me how it is like? Thank you

Isomer

HSC
Hey guys, I was offered an opportunity to tutor Primary kids math (volunteer) but it wouldn't start until like start of term 3 which is when the selective application closes. Am I still able to mention it? Thank you
I recommend you mention the extracurricular activities you have done in retrospect rather than prospected activities. I am saying this because if you do it after it will make it seem that you are only doing it for the sake of your application, not out of genuine interest/passion. Doing it before will make it seem that you have sustained an active approach to the activities you do which will enrich your application.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

hstb_

HSC
I recommend you mention the extracurricular activities you have done in retrospect rather than prospected activities. I am saying this because if you do it after it will make it seem that you are only doing it for the sake of your application, not out of genuine interest/passion. Doing it before will make it seem that you have sustained an active approach to the activities you do which will enrich your application.

Hope that helps!
Yep, thank you so much for the reply !

Wizjaro

HSC
Don’t be fooled by the baulko only accepting kids from selective schools. This year majority of the transfers for yr 11 did not go to selective schools, so try your best.

hstb_

HSC
Don’t be fooled by the baulko only accepting kids from selective schools. This year majority of the transfers for yr 11 did not go to selective schools, so try your best.
Yep I certainly will, thank you!

hstb_

HSC
Just wondering, is anyone else applying for Baulko that is in year 9 right now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)