• Want some good practice on harder HSC questions?
    Our BoS trial exams will be held on:
    ● 4th October (Maths Ext2)
    ● 4th October (Maths Ext1)
    ● 5th October (Chemistry)
    Click here for details on how to register
  • Happy 20 YEARS to us!

Help for either math advanced or math standard!! (1 Viewer)

lola_ruby

HSC
Hii
I'm in yr 10 and currently top of my class in maths 5.2 and finding it quite easy, I'm looking to get into an usyd course that has Maths advanced as a prerequisite.
My teacher prepared a booklet to help me catch up with topics 5.3 classes have learnt, is advanced math really that hard and would I struggle a lot? I've always grasped topics quite easily and gotten good grades. Should I do math standards instead and look at other universities?

VictorTango-9W

HSC
Hii
I'm in yr 10 and currently top of my class in maths 5.2 and finding it quite easy, I'm looking to get into an usyd course that has Maths advanced as a prerequisite.
My teacher prepared a booklet to help me catch up with topics 5.3 classes have learnt, is advanced math really that hard and would I struggle a lot? I've always grasped topics quite easily and gotten good grades. Should I do math standards instead and look at other universities?
Do adv it ain't hard

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Defs do advanced, you will not regret it. Anyways you will always have the option of dropping down to standard if you do find it hard

Hivaclibtibcharkwa

𝗕𝗶𝗼𝗹𝗼𝗴𝘆 𝗧𝘂𝘁𝗼𝗿
HSC
Hii
what course?

5uckerberg

HSC
Hii
Here are a few things I want you to do take it in steps, no rushing this okay.

1. Find some Stage 5.3 or Stage 5.3+ friends that you are keen to work with for mathematics. See if they are interested in sharing their knowledge.
2. Work on Stage 5.3 content in the meantime outside of your lessons. If you find it difficult request a maths tutor or your friends to help you out. I mean to attempt the booklet but more exposure leads to greater experience, thus leading to familiarisation and ending it with improvement.
3. When you finish Year 10 please, keep the same maths tutor to guide you into Year 11 or your group of friends. You're going to be doing Mathematics Advanced if you followed the first two steps (at least).
4. Maintain step 3 and push yourself into Maths Extension I when you still have that little window left at the start of Term 1.
5. Talk about step 4 in 2023. This is serious and discuss it with your teacher.

Okay, so you told me you are doing Advanced computing or Software Engineering welp, sorry to break your bubble @lola_ruby you have to do Mathematics Extension I to even survive the start of your degree because these two degrees are mathematics heavy.

Last edited:

5uckerberg

HSC
You need extension 1 for those - they are prereqs as far as I am sure
For Software Engineering you really have to be doing Extension I mathematics.

lola_ruby

HSC
Here are a few things I want you to do take it in steps, no rushing this okay.

1. Find some Stage 5.3 or Stage 5.3+ friends that you are keen to work with for mathematics. See if they are interested in sharing their knowledge.
2. Work on Stage 5.3 content in the meantime outside of your lessons. If you find it difficult request a maths tutor or your friends to help you out. I mean to attempt the booklet but more exposure leads to greater experience, thus leading to familiarisation and ending it with improvement.
3. When you finish Year 10 please, keep the same maths tutor to guide you into Year 11 or your group of friends. You're going to be doing Mathematics Advanced if you followed the first two steps (at least).
4. Maintain step 3 and push yourself into Maths Extension I when you still have that little window left at the start of Term 1.
5. Talk about step 4 in 2023. This is serious and discuss it with your teacher.

Okay, so you told me you are doing Advanced computing or Software Engineering welp, sorry to break your bubble @lola_ruby you have to do Mathematics Extension I to even survive the start of your degree because these two degrees are mathematics heavy.
rippp thanksss, I'm gonna study really hard then or look at other unis, Thank youuu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)