Help: HSC question (1 Viewer)

skool94

HSC
Outline two exaples of environmental factors affecting the expression of a gene in an individual?

I have no idea how to go about to answer this question, its 2 mark question. I thought it might be:
- Temperature and
- Light

get_back23

HSC
I think this is in blue print of life, something to do with effect of environment on expression of gene

The gene which produces dark pigments in Siamese cats are only expressed when exposed to cold temperatures over a period of time. Older Siamese cats, who have much darker tails and paw colours have these genes expressed, due to these extremities of body exposed to cold conditions for a long time already.

only remember this one

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
I think this is in blue print of life, something to do with effect of environment on expression of gene

The gene which produces dark pigments in Siamese cats are only expressed when exposed to cold temperatures over a period of time. Older Siamese cats, who have much darker tails and paw colours have these genes expressed, due to these extremities of body exposed to cold conditions for a long time already.

only remember this one
^ This as well as:
pH - In hydrangeas the pH of the soil which they are in affects their flower colour. in acidic soil the petals are blue, in alkaline petals are pink
identical twins are also another example. as they have identical genotypes, any difference in their phenotype are a result of the environment

hope i helped :) if you need anything else don't hesitate to ask

-edit- this should be in Blueprint, just a heads up

mariannebags

HSC
N/A
there are lots of example of this in everyday life too, eg tanning in people not expressed if not exposed to sunlight.., bonsia plants dont show true height is pruned repeatedly etc. but stick to the text book examples to be safe.. there's a scishow video in this topic too on you-tube

lemnok

HSC
Better quality nutrition can cause genes to be expressed to stimulate children to grow taller.
More sunlight can cause genes to be expressed that cause more melanin production in human skin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)