Help on HSC Scaling (1 Viewer)

bob II

HSC
Hi, I'm in yr 10 and we're about to choose subjects for next year.
These are the subjects I'm considering:
- Maths Ext 1
- Maths Adv
- English Ext 1
- Eng Adv
- Phys
- Chem
- Eco
- Bio
- Legal
- Geo
- Business
- Latin continuers
I really like all of them. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how they scale. Also, I know a couple of my classmates have started tutoring. Should I, and for which subjects?
Thank you so much!!

studiesofboard

HSC
Also,
  • All these subjects are good and scale well + Scaling does not matter too much as long as you like the subject and you believe you can perform well do it. :)
  • For tutoring it depends on you and what you are good at and what you're struggling with. If you're considering tutoring get it from the start so while you're learning the content you can see what you need improvement on and you can clarify it with a tutor. :)

_rakelt

HSC
your actual marks and how well you do in a subject is MORE important than scaling. For example, i know many kids who did maths ext 1/2 who didn't get over 90, whereas kids who did standard eng, business etc getting over 90..

So pick subjects that you will genuinely enjoy and do well in!

blyatman

HSC
N/A
your actual marks and how well you do in a subject is MORE important than scaling. For example, i know many kids who did maths ext 1/2 who didn't get over 90, whereas kids who did standard eng, business etc getting over 90..

So pick subjects that you will genuinely enjoy and do well in!
It doesn't work like that. When people refer to scaling, its usually implied that it's referring to ATAR scaling. Someone who gets 89 in Math Ext 2 will get a much higher ATAR than someone who gets 90 in Standard Math (with all other things being equal) because Math Ext 2 scales much better. That's because Ext 2 is harder, so getting an 89 in Ext 2 is significantly more difficult than getting a 90 in Standard.

quickoats

HSC
It doesn't work like that. When people refer to scaling, its usually implied that it's referring to ATAR scaling. Someone who gets 89 in Math Ext 2 will get a much higher ATAR than someone who gets 90 in Standard Math (with all other things being equal) because Math Ext 2 scales much better. That's because Ext 2 is harder, so getting an 89 in Ext 2 is significantly more difficult than getting a 90 in Standard.
I think he might be referring to their final ATARs i.e. some students doing MX2 may not get above a 90 ATAR, but other students doing standard english etc can definitely achieve a 90+.

bob II

HSC
Thank you all so much for your input!
I've decided on:
- Maths Ext 1
- Maths Adv
- English Ext 1
- Eng Adv
- Phys
- Chem
My school is suggesting that I do 14 units, in case I drop some extension units.
In that case, I need to pick 2 more subjects from:
- Eco
- Bio
- Legal
- Geo
- Business
- Latin continuers
Does anyone have any insight on these subjects - the scaling, the easiness, etc.? (I'm doing alright in these subjects at school, with marks >85%)
I don't really like content-heavy subjects that require regurgitation of info (like history).
I was wondering for Legal Studies (because it's taught by the history department in my school, but it's introduced by the social sciences department), are the essays more like a commerce/economics essay or a history essay (cos I really dislike writing history essays).

studiesofboard

HSC
I do both Legal and Business.

Legal Studies
  • Requires forming essays
  • Discusses society issues nothing like history essay
1589682043841.png
Business Studies
  • Requires essays
  • Discusses all about the operation of businesses
1589682000149.png

I would say both are easy subjects but you just have to study for them. I personally enjoy legal studies more than Business Studies simply because it is a bit more fun but that is my opinion :)

bob II

HSC
How do these scale?
- Bio
- Legal
- Geo
- Business
(I know Latin scales really well, but it's certainly not my best, and eco scales pretty well - might take it)

Accurate

clix
HSC
How do these scale?
- Bio
- Legal
- Geo
- Business
(I know Latin scales really well, but it's certainly not my best, and eco scales pretty well - might take it)
They scale decently except Business may scale a bit lower, don't let this make you not pick it, I have seen a 99.95 that didn't pick Phys/Chem and she picked Business too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)