Help re: IT at UNI (1 Viewer)

Stannis_The_Mannis

HSC
Hi all,

Am thinking of doing a B.IT at Uni (UTS is the plan), and then getting into Network Admin/Sys Admin.

I'm in Year 11 atm, and am doing these subjects:

Advanced English
Mathematics (2U)
Physics
Chemistry
Business Studies (possibly dropping for yr 12)
Software Design and Development

I tried to do VET IT, which my schools offers, but we were 1 person off the required amount for the course to run.

Basically, given that I want to study IT, not CS (seems like too much maths for me), I was thinking, could I drop down to general Maths and still do well in an IT course. Also, after HS, what would you recommend I do in relation to Uni/Certificates/Accreditation in order to work my way into a Network/Systems Admin role.

TIA

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Drop down to general and you should be fine OP

I am in the Bachelor of Information Technology program at UTS and am looking to end my first semester with a Distinction average despite doing General Math. If i recall the only time we did math in the past 13 weeks is a single tutorial for one of my 4 first year subjects.

Also, you won't have to worry too much about accreditation and whatnot if you get into the Bachelor of IT. BIT is the industry sponsored co-operative scholarship whereas BscIT is the non co-op version of our IT degree. If you get into the co-operative scholarship program and get placed at the right companies for your 2 x 6 month internships you're pretty set tbh

Also for the love of god don't drop Business, it has to be the only HSC subject that i still use on a day to day basis

Stannis_The_Mannis

HSC
How difficult is it to get into the sponsored BIT @ UTS? Also, it seems that the sponsored course is more geared towards the business side of IT, so would that suit my ambition to get into networking/sys-admin? And judging from astroman's reply, if I do drop down to general, would it be wise to drop physics for my HSC year?

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
How difficult is it to get into the sponsored BIT @ UTS? Also, it seems that the sponsored course is more geared towards the business side of IT, so would that suit my ambition to get into networking/sys-admin? And judging from astroman's reply, if I do drop down to general, would it be wise to drop physics for my HSC year?
BIT attempts to cater for all areas of Information Technology in the respect that you do all the IT fundamental subjects (meaning that you will be doing networking fundamentals) and can select 5 electives which can be based on your desired area (so i would assume that you can select electives associated with your ambition to become a Systems Administrator). As BIT's we don't major in anything meaning that the degree in general is quite broad, i suggest that you take a look at the course outline in the UTS handbook and see if what you will be doing suits your fancy. Whilst many of us are focused on the business side (including me), i have a fair few friends in the program that want to be Web Developers/Programmers/SysAdmins so i wouldn't quite say it's purely for Business Sided IT Professionals. As a bit of a fun fact, our sponsors have actually started to offer less BA/Consultancy roles and more Technical/Development roles as of lately.

As for how hard BIT is to get into, i wouldn't call it extremely difficult but it's far from easy, you need to be a well rounded individual that can demonstrate a high level of ambition and communication skills in an interview. You are also expected to get an ATAR above 90 excluding bonus points (~94 for a conditional offer). You still have quite a bit of time until applications open for your year so i suggest that you start researching up on the IT industry, practising your communication skills and studying hard to maximize your chances of getting into the program. Play your cards right for the next year and a half and you should have quite a decent chance to get in.

As for dropping subjects, i'd say that you should just play your strengths. The HSC is a game and you just need to play it right, which is a bit ironic from someone who got a 90.95 with some of the lowest scaling subjects in the HSC but i digress. If you think you can do well in Physics then keep it. If not then drop it.

I'd say that a co-op program is the biggest step in the right direction that you can take with University degrees, as the opportunities provided to you are above that of a standard university degree, so you may as well apply if you can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)