help! st marys senior hs/personal profile (1 Viewer)

mooni08

HSC
hii, does anyone know what should be added to a personal profile? (sorry I'm kinda clueless right now because I'm trying to prepare ahead by basing it off last year's application) does anyone have samples of personal profiles or where i could fine them? also if anyone has been to st marys senior could you please provide an insight into what the school is like?

thanks!

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
um may I ask u something, if u are gonna be in yr 10 this yr, why do u wanna go for a partial selective for yr 11? ur not gonna be in the selective stream bc they combine selective and community so I rlly don't see the point

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
um may I ask u something, if u are gonna be in yr 10 this yr, why do u wanna go for a partial selective for yr 11? ur not gonna be in the selective stream bc they combine selective and community so I rlly don't see the point
St Marys Senior High School is an academically comprehensive school. There seems to be a misconception that it is a partially selective school due to the fact that they consider applicants on a selective basis, as opposed to regular comprehensive schools, who generally accept any applicant, making entry into SMSHS slightly more difficult/demanding than regular comprehensive schools, i.e. applicants to SMSHS are not necessarily guaranteed an offer. Because of this, the concept of a selective stream does not apply here.

hii, does anyone know what should be added to a personal profile? (sorry I'm kinda clueless right now because I'm trying to prepare ahead by basing it off last year's application) does anyone have samples of personal profiles or where i could fine them? also if anyone has been to st marys senior could you please provide an insight into what the school is like?

thanks!
As suggested in the Expression of Interest form, you could focus on the following:
  • your previous schooling - for example, past academic and non-academic achievements
  • your goals for year 11 and year 12, for example, interest in participating in school life, including sports, arts and leadership.
  • your goals beyond year 12 - for example, your future career/tertiary study plans
Additionally, priority will be given to applicants who can show evidence of a positive attitude and commitment to learning.
It is not necessary to have achieved high marks in your previous schooling (although from a practical perspective, favourable results can supplement your application), but you should try to show that you have the commitment to learning and study habits required that will allow you to take advantage of the special opportunities that St Marys Senior High School offers.

I attended SMSHS in 2018-2019. Being a senior school that strictly caters to Stage 6 (year 11 and year 12) students, the school fosters a young adult independent learning environment (which is the reason that commitment to learning is an important SMSHS student characteristic). Based on the notion of young adult, students address teachers by their first name. Additionally, while there is a uniform, students are not required to wear it (except when instructed by the school). They can wear whatever they wish, as long as it matches the school's dress code, comprised of the following colours:
  • black
  • white
  • green
  • grey
  • yellow
From an academic perspective, while not to the extent of selective schools, several students have achieved favourable results (including 99+ ATARs). If you wish to achieve favourable results and provided you are willing to commit and persevere throughout this independent learner journey, you can definitely achieve favourable results at SMSHS.

I hope this helps! 😄

mooni08

HSC
i meann so the thing is i currently attend rooty hill hs so like i rather take my chances at st marys :') plus i don't really wanna transfer to a fully selective school so yh

mooni08

HSC
St Marys Senior High School is an academically comprehensive school. There seems to be a misconception that it is a partially selective school due to the fact that they consider applicants on a selective basis, as opposed to regular comprehensive schools, who generally accept any applicant, making entry into SMSHS slightly more difficult/demanding than regular comprehensive schools, i.e. applicants to SMSHS are not necessarily guaranteed an offer. Because of this, the concept of a selective stream does not apply here.

As suggested in the Expression of Interest form, you could focus on the following:
  • your previous schooling - for example, past academic and non-academic achievements
  • your goals for year 11 and year 12, for example, interest in participating in school life, including sports, arts and leadership.
  • your goals beyond year 12 - for example, your future career/tertiary study plans
Additionally, priority will be given to applicants who can show evidence of a positive attitude and commitment to learning.
It is not necessary to have achieved high marks in your previous schooling (although from a practical perspective, favourable results can supplement your application), but you should try to show that you have the commitment to learning and study habits required that will allow you to take advantage of the special opportunities that St Marys Senior High School offers.

I attended SMSHS in 2018-2019. Being a senior school that strictly caters to Stage 6 (year 11 and year 12) students, the school fosters a young adult independent learning environment (which is the reason that commitment to learning is an important SMSHS student characteristic). Based on the notion of young adult, students address teachers by their first name. Additionally, while there is a uniform, students are not required to wear it (except when instructed by the school). They can wear whatever they wish, as long as it matches the school's dress code, comprised of the following colours:
  • black
  • white
  • green
  • grey
  • yellow
From an academic perspective, while not to the extent of selective schools, several students have achieved favourable results (including 99+ ATARs). If you wish to achieve favourable results and provided you are willing to commit and persevere throughout this independent learner journey, you can definitely achieve favourable results at SMSHS.

I hope this helps! 😄
THANK YOU!!

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
i meann so the thing is i currently attend rooty hill hs so like i rather take my chances at st marys :') plus i don't really wanna transfer to a fully selective school so yh
alr fair enough

mooni08

HSC
first of all the chances of me actually getting in would be low so doesn't matter but there's much more pressure on students and my self-esteem would die in such an environment but then again smshs wouldn't be too different. i guess its just a personal thing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (also i'd do pretty bad a selective hs :'))

Last edited:

satvik_1008

HSC
but there's much more pressure on students
don't feel like this should dissuade you. yes coming from a selective school I can testify there is a competitive environment but its friendly competition, not dog eat dog I hate you kinda competition, and generally speaking the new kids I've seen coming into the school have adapted pretty well, I'm sure you would be fine

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC

• black
  • white
  • green
  • grey
  • yellow

I hope this helps! 😄
jimmy still going strong 💪💪

mooni08

HSC
don't feel like this should dissuade you. yes coming from a selective school I can testify there is a competitive environment but its friendly competition, not dog eat dog I hate you kinda competition, and generally speaking the new kids I've seen coming into the school have adapted pretty well, I'm sure you would be fine
ahh i see, i'll keep this in mind ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)