Help with legal studies assignment!!! (1 Viewer)

Flop55

HSC
I have a 3 part assignment due for Legal Studies on Friday and I have no clue what we're supposed to do. I've asked the teacher multiple times but all he gives are ambiguous answers in regards to what we include.

Here are the parts I don't understand:
1. Choose 3 media articles (done) and write 300 words on how this article relates to resolving disputes between the individual
and/or the state through legal and/or non-legal responses.
2.Students are to create an A3 poster on their chosen topic.
The poster should include:
 The issue between the individual and/or the state explored in this topic
 The legal and non-legal responses to this issue
 An evaluation of the effectiveness of these responses

How do we write on "resolving disputes between the individual and state through legal and non-legal responses"??? :/
Also my topic is young offenders but how do I address it in the poster? I've done loads of research and stuff but I'm still not sure what to do. Please help!!!

bujolover

HSC
I have a 3 part assignment due for Legal Studies on Friday and I have no clue what we're supposed to do. I've asked the teacher multiple times but all he gives are ambiguous answers in regards to what we include.

1. Choose 3 media articles (done) and write 300 words on how this article relates to resolving disputes between the individual

How do we write on "resolving disputes between the individual and state through legal and non-legal responses"??? :/
Also my topic is young offenders but how do I address it in the poster? I've done loads of research and stuff but I'm still not sure what to do. Please help!!!
Post this in the Legal Studies forum to have a higher chance of being answered. :)

Sp3ctre

HSC

I'm a bit rusty with my legal knowledge, but I think legal responses refer to internal and external reviews, whereas non-legal responses are referring to informal measures such as turning to the media, M.P. (members of parliament), trade unions and interest groups. You probably don't need to mention every one of these methods depending on how many marks your assessment is worth but I would probably 100 words for each media article and focus on around 2 methods for each.

EDIT: As for the poster, I'm not sure what your teachers really wants but maybe you could have some dialogue between a young offender and the other party with the dialogue indicating whether the response was effective or not.

Last edited:

polskicygan

HSC
Just to add on to what others have said, make sure you include also recent reform to the criminal justice system surrounding young offenders. HSC Legal Studies goes into more details on this issue, but it definitely doesn't hurt to get a head start on the crime unit for next year. Do some research on circle sentencing (I think that's covered in prelim), Youth Justice Conferencing (BOCSAR has some good reports on the effectiveness of this), mention if any court orders are applicable and which statute is most relatable to this topic. What legal punishments are available under NSW law to prevent young offending? (maybe control orders (imprisonment), other forms of dispute resolution, etc). Possibly factor in the 4 purposes of punishment.

Some non-legal methods would include NGOs including charities, the media, interest groups as mentioned above by Sp3ctre and lobbying. Now you just have to find some recent non-legal responses as examples, and research the appropriate legal avenues (what statute, what alternative punishments are available, etc.)

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)