• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help with UAI/HSC (2 Viewers)

imoO

HSC
Hey guys/gals,
I was just wondering about the HSC reeling in towards me so quickly, I mean....year 11 is really fast...we're in our last term already.

Anyways, I was just wondering,

If I did very well in my assessment tasks at school, say about 85%+ in all of them, and ranked pretty well, say about top 15 in my school, then I did the HSC, and everybody who was in that top 15 did well, but I didn't. So technically, would I get scaled down?

Another question was what types of rankings should I be getting to achieve a UAI of about 90+? I want to do Commerce at Uni, but have Civil Engineering as a backup in-case I can't get a high enough UAI. Here are my planned subjects for next year.

English (Advanced) 149 People
Mathematics 115 People
Maths Extension 1 50-60ish people. Some are dropping next year.
Physics 72 People
Economics 55 People (I assume so will drop because the teacher is raving mad at some of them at the moment)
Chemistry 84 People.

My current schools is SSC Blackwattle Bay if you need to know about rankings. I do believe it's top 200.

Thanks for any help in advanced.

imoO

-tal-

HSC
imoO said:
Hey guys/gals,
I was just wondering about the HSC reeling in towards me so quickly, I mean....year 11 is really fast...we're in our last term already.

Anyways, I was just wondering,

If I did very well in my assessment tasks at school, say about 85%+ in all of them, and ranked pretty well, say about top 15 in my school, then I did the HSC, and everybody who was in that top 15 did well, but I didn't. So technically, would I get scaled down?

Another question was what types of rankings should I be getting to achieve a UAI of about 90+? I want to do Commerce at Uni, but have Civil Engineering as a backup in-case I can't get a high enough UAI. Here are my planned subjects for next year.

English (Advanced) 149 People
Mathematics 115 People
Maths Extension 1 50-60ish people. Some are dropping next year.
Physics 72 People
Economics 55 People (I assume so will drop because the teacher is raving mad at some of them at the moment)
Chemistry 84 People.

My current schools is SSC Blackwattle Bay if you need to know about rankings. I do believe it's top 200.

Thanks for any help in advanced.

imoO
Yes, you would get "scaled down" but not in the way you think. Say you came 20th in the HSC exam, and 15th @ school. I think you would be getting the external mark of the person who came 15th in the exam, but you keep your internal mark. Either way, if you do badly in either component, it will drag you down, whether scaling affects it or not. Internals and externals are of almost equal weighting.

For a 90+ UAI, I think the rankings you'll need are:
English 10/149
Mathematics 7/115
Maths Extension 5/50-60i
Physics 6/72
Economics 5/55
Chemistry 8/84

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
-tal- said:
Yes, you would get "scaled down" but not in the way you think. Say you came 20th in the HSC exam, and 15th @ school. I think you would be getting the external mark of the person who came 15th in the exam, but you keep your external mark.

Corrected :)

-tal-

HSC
dux&src said:
-tal- said:
Yes, you would get "scaled down" but not in the way you think. Say you came 20th in the HSC exam, and 15th @ school. I think you would be getting the external mark of the person who came 15th in the exam, but you keep your external mark.

Corrected :)
uh?? The OP would be keeping the internal/school mark that they came 15th for. They would be swapping the exam/external mark that they hypothetically came 20th for, with the one that was 15th.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
-tal- said:
dux&src said:
uh?? The OP would be keeping the internal/school mark that they came 15th for. They would be swapping the exam/external mark that they hypothetically came 20th for, with the one that was 15th.
actually you mixed it up.
THe OP would actually get the 15th highest mark from the externals as his/her internal mark. And would keep his/her external mark. NO matter what happens you keep the external mark. And for internal marks, it determined by your ranking. That's why people say " ranks are more important then the actual mark".

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
-tal- said:
dux&src said:
yupyup, though i profess an ignorance to who is actually right here...

And if your getting in the top 15 in a rank 200+ school, and retain that rank, then you'll probably get at least 90+, if not 95+ (I don't actually know, so I'm being conservative here...)

-tal-

HSC
dux&src said:
-tal- said:
actually you mixed it up.
THe OP would actually get the 15th highest mark from the externals as his/her internal mark. And would keep his/her external mark. NO matter what happens you keep the external mark. And for internal marks, it determined by your ranking. That's why people say " ranks are more important then the actual mark".
Hang on a second there. So who the hell got it right? Me or him? (I'm pretty sure I did...)

dux&src said:
I think you would be getting the external mark of the person who came 15th in the exam, but you keep your external mark.
That really didn't make much sense to me. How do you keep your external mark when you have someone else's?

Last edited:

imoO

HSC
-tal- said:
dux&src said:
Hang on a second there. So who the hell got it right? Me or him? (I'm pretty sure I did...)

That really didn't make much sense to me. How do you keep your external mark when you have someone else's?
I think he means that I'll get the mark of 15th, and I'll keep that mark instead of what I got internally?

lolokay

HSC
well according to what everyone else says, you keep whatever external mark you get, and your internal mark is equal to the external mark of whoever got the same rank in externals that you got in internals - which is what dux&src is saying

imoO

HSC
confusing much? lol

anyway...I have go go start working my ass off if I want 90+.

My rankings are ranging from 7ths to 108th in all subjects rofl.....I need to jump alot and start working my butt off.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
imoO said:
confusing much? lol

anyway...I have go go start working my ass off if I want 90+.

My rankings are ranging from 7ths to 108th in all subjects rofl.....I need to jump alot and start working my butt off.
7th is good...
108 is... not soo good, but you should be able to improve if you work a bit harder.

imoO

HSC
My rankings of 7th in Chem have probably dropped, but I am going to study my ass off for preliminaries to make up, for ALL subjects. I have about 5 weeks to go, so I'm buckling down :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)