• Got a question on how to use our new website? Check out our user guide here!

Help! Year 11 Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

Veq

HSC
N/A
Hi all,
I am a student at a partially selective high school are we are required to start choosing our subjects very soon. I have given much thought into this decision as I want to study law or medicine at USYD and am generally ambitious about my future. I am a 'smart' student, always have been, and I don't want to waste my potential by making a stupid decision in Year 10. The following are the subjects I am thinking about doing in Year 11:

Maths Ext 1
English Ext 1
Physics
Chemistry
Modern History / Economics / Legal Studies

I am very anxious about the picking between the last three subjects as I don't want to be grouped in a class with people who don't care about school. I also am considering doing Ext 2 for English and Maths but I don't think it would be the right decision as I would have to drop all but one other subject. If any of you guys have any advice, don't hold back, it would be very appreciated.

Kangaaroo

HSC
N/A
Well, it really all comes down to what you prefer doing. Ask yourself if you're enjoying history in year 10, if you could see yourself sitting an economics exam in the HSC, that kind of thing. Also, legal studies is generally perceived as being an "easy" subject, at least compared to Ecos and Modern, so if you're concerned about being in a class with people who aren't engaged then take that into consideration. Also worth noting you don't need to do Legal to study law at uni.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
What are your schools “strength” in the HSC? Have a look at the Syllabus of each respective subject to determine how motivated you would be to study them.

In terms of scaling, Economics scales the highest followed by Modern history then Legal Studies.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I presume you are doing Advanced English?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, you have to do at least 4 different subject types so can't drop to all english, all maths, and one subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)