Help (1 Viewer)

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
I'm feeling a little in the dark right now, I was just made an offer to do B Commerce, which I have wanted to do for ages. I was always under the impression that everyone except for the co-ops who did B Commerce did the same subjects in the first year, and then chose majors and minors for their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years.

Judging by the posts around this site, it looks like first years have to choose electives as well. I can't attend the advisory sessions because I live 5 hours away from the university, so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I am planning on doing two majors, actuarial studies as a definite and perhaps accounting or finance as a second. How do I know what electives I should choose for doing these majors? I have seen people mention a handbook which contains essential information, but I do not have one of these handbooks. For those who have them, where did you get them?

So based on doing majors of actuarial studies and finance or accounting, can someone tell me what electives I should be choosing, and even better a site that would give information on this sort of thing?

miffytoki

HSC
BillyMak said:
I'm feeling a little in the dark right now, I was just made an offer to do B Commerce, which I have wanted to do for ages. I was always under the impression that everyone except for the co-ops who did B Commerce did the same subjects in the first year, and then chose majors and minors for their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years.

Judging by the posts around this site, it looks like first years have to choose electives as well. I can't attend the advisory sessions because I live 5 hours away from the university, so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I am planning on doing two majors, actuarial studies as a definite and perhaps accounting or finance as a second. How do I know what electives I should choose for doing these majors? I have seen people mention a handbook which contains essential information, but I do not have one of these handbooks. For those who have them, where did you get them?

So based on doing majors of actuarial studies and finance or accounting, can someone tell me what electives I should be choosing, and even better a site that would give information on this sort of thing?

yer the handbook will tell u everything...the online one is good cos u can look up what majors u're interested in and it tells u all the prerequisites u have to do....for first year u basically have to do all the core subjects tho (for non-co ops)....it took me all day to figure that out...(i'm first year undergrad too)

anyway..the handbooks....the online one is at http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/2005/home.html

and the whole printed one (although i recommend the online one) is at http://publish.web.unsw.edu.au/hand... handbook.pdf

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
ok... I'll take a few days to read through it all and decide properly what I want to do. Thanks for the help.

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
also, with a b com you are allowed 2 options within the course.
FOR EXAMPLE
this time last year i wanted to do marketing, so my first semester consisted of my 3 cores (Accoutning, Micro, QMA) and one elective (marketing)
after that session, i didnt want to do marketing anymore (wasnt how i thought it would be) and next semester i did my 3 cores plus what i wanted. now that marketing subject i did went to wards one of my options i need

if you are double major-ing in commerce, you need to do:
6 cores (3 in semester 1, 3 in semester 2)
7 subjects per major
2 options (subjects IN faculty of commerce&economics NOT related to your major)
2 general eds (totalling 12 credit points)(subjects OUTSIDE FCE)

total cred points:
(6x6) + (7x6x2) + (2x6) + (12) = 144

Dirt Poor

HSC
Okay, for Actuarial it is important to note that you don't take the two core maths subjects that the rest of the Commerce people do (which are Quantitative Methods A and B).

Instead, you take:
MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A OR
MATH1151 Maths for Actuarial Studies & Finance 1A

AND

MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B OR
MATH1251 Maths for Actuarial Studies & Finance 1B

So what you are looking at for a first-year timetable (with intent to double-major in both Actuarial and Finance) is:

Semester 1:
- ECON1101 Microeconomics 1
- ACCT1501 Accounting and Financial Management 1A
- MATH1141 Higher Mathematics (or MATH1151 Maths for Actuarial Studies & Finance 1A)
- FINS1612 Capital Markets and Institutions

Semester 2:
- ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1
- ACCT1511 Accounting and Financial Management 1A
- MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B (or MATH1251 Maths for Actuarial Studies & Finance 1B)
- ACTL1001 Actuarial Studies and Commerce

In Semester 1 of 2006 you would then take ACTL2001, ACTL2002, FINS1613 and another elective.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
To properlly "accept" your offer you need to have enrolled in at least 12UOC each session?

If i want to do a double major in accounting and finance, which PLAN, do i select ?

See attachment.

I just select the 1st year subs that appear, and i can change these later right ? Whens is the deadline for changing / adding / withdrawing subjects ?

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
So How should I know whether to take Mathematics for Actuarial Studies and Finance 1A - MATH1151 or Higher Mathematics 1A - MATH1141 ? Which would be better for Actuarial Studies, I meet the requirements for both (i.e. must achieve a combined mark of at least 180 in ext. 1 and ext. 2 maths or whatever).

Based on the online handbook, Higher Mathematics 1A - MATH1141 seems harder, but if I took this rather than MATH1151 would I be disadvantaged since MATH1151 seems to be directly related to Actuarial Studies?

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Grizzly said:
To properlly "accept" your offer you need to have enrolled in at least 12UOC each session?

If i want to do a double major in accounting and finance, which PLAN, do i select ?

See attachment.

I just select the 1st year subs that appear, and i can change these later right ? Whens is the deadline for changing / adding / withdrawing subjects ?
I would also like to know this :S

God damn I know nothing.

Affinity

HSC
BillyMak said:
So How should I know whether to take Mathematics for Actuarial Studies and Finance 1A - MATH1151 or Higher Mathematics 1A - MATH1141 ? Which would be better for Actuarial Studies, I meet the requirements for both (i.e. must achieve a combined mark of at least 180 in ext. 1 and ext. 2 maths or whatever).

Based on the online handbook, Higher Mathematics 1A - MATH1141 seems harder, but if I took this rather than MATH1151 would I be disadvantaged since MATH1151 seems to be directly related to Actuarial Studies?
The only difference is between the software used. 51 introduces you to matlab, a numerical computation software, while 41 teaches maple, which is a symbolic computing software.

Last edited:

ace

is retired
HSC
Actually, if you are majoring in Actuarial studies, from what I have heard, you are supposed to take MATH1151. Unlike the other commerce people, you have a different math path.

Ring the FCE(Faculty of Commerce and Economics) or e-mail them, if unsure. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)