Helpful Website (1 Viewer)

adamj

Hey I just finished my HSC this year and have made a site for Legal Studies to provide people with help on the course and on a future in law. The site is still being upgraded and built, but have a look around, worth it, especially when new features are added such as the courtroom overview.

adamj

Well not really, I just like to assist where I can, and hope that the service is useful.

adamj

Criminology is a course related to many of the areas in legal studies. Like Law and Society. Its a study of criminal behaviour, why people do things and the impacts along with policy and proceedure.

With a criminology degree I can: Enter almost any law enforcement in Australia, and around the world from the police to ASIO. I can also become a criminologist for the universities research and for government departments. One could also become an analyst or advisor. But I am doing it with a law diploma, which enables me to do legal practice, the criminology degree will allow me to undertand crime and law better as Law by itself is not a social science like legal studies would be.

I plan on becomming a lawyer and later prosecutor and a politician after. The degree would do me well.

mayhemily

HSC
that sounds really interesting... so your not actually doing a law degree, your doing the BSS and a law diploma... how do you become a lawyer from there?

adamj

on my website under Career in Law, it outlines the requirements be a lawyer.

Whether you do a diploma or Bachelor, you need to still do Graduate Law Practice Training, so it really means you are in the same boat. When you complete that you need to register with Law Society or Bar Association.

I have chosen the Diploma over considering a Guaranteed Internal Transfer, mainly becuase I fins it will be a shorter process to become a lawyer and I can get to a Master's faster also becuase a DipLaw student is registered as a Student-at-law with the admission board, this board oversees all Bachelor of Law courses. The DipLaw course can eb seen as the pathway that was originally taken over 100 years ago, where the Supreme Court set exams, those exams are now set by the LPAB in the Supreme Court's place but the court still admits lawyers.

What I also like about the Diploma is that its subject structure is different so it means I can become a paralegal sooner than an LLB student, I am meant to believe, so it means more experience than the average LLB student. What an employer would weigh up if employing a lawyer is Experience (mainly DipLaw) vs Qualifications (mainly LLB). The DipLaw course is excellent though, I have straigh access into Sydney Uni's LLM course after and on less restrictions than a LLB graduate.

adamj

I have set up a chatroom facility on LegalStudies Online (LegalTalk), if people are interested. At exam times, I think it may prove useful.

Hoyin

HSC
N/A
is there a section where people who just finished hsc can post their notes up....
i think it would be useful for studnets doin the hsc now

adamj

I will have to look into ways of doing that. Perhaps I could get them submitted in and have them available, but the content will have my notes incorperated. Many of my works recieved full marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)