HELPP (1 Viewer)

Diya Jain

HSC
I am in Term 4 and have just started Year 12. I dont know what subject to drop between Drama and IPT. I am really stuck

specificagent1

HSC
Reasons for dropping each subject. Your performance and what is concerning you

vishnay

God
HSC
my performance is both is fine- drama has a major individual project and ipt is a lot of content but i am not able to decide
if ur not too concerned with ur atar then keep whichever one is more enjoyable

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As was mentioned above, making an informed decision depends on 2 factors:
  • Your performance in Drama and IPT throughout year 11
  • Your enjoyment/personal interest in either Drama or IPT.
You mentioned that your performance is fine in both subjects. This is a good start because when performance is not a concern, how you personally feel about each of those subjects therefore becomes the main consideration going forward. Do you feel you lean more towards either Drama or IPT?

I took IPT back when I did my HSC and achieved a band 6 in this subject. Based on my experience, I found the HSC course more interesting than the Preliminary course. As you are probably already aware, HSC IPT explores 3 compulsory topics:
  • Project Management
  • Information Systems and Databases
  • Communication Systems
Additionally, you will be required to study 2 out of 4 Option Strands:
  • Transaction Processing Systems
  • Decision Support Systems
  • Automated Manufacturing Systems
  • Multimedia Systems
I studied Transaction Processing Systems and Multimedia Systems. Overall, I enjoyed IPT. It was a great experience and perhaps having a small class of 10 people taking IPT in the whole school rendered this experience more personalised, and the subject therefore more enjoyable.

Performing well in year 12 requires determination to regularly study and stay up to date with content, allowing you to perform well in assessment tasks/exams. In addition, having/making good quality notes is an important thing to consider and will likely make a positive contribution to your performance, provided you are making good use of your notes. I suggest having a look at this set of notes:

I hope this helps! 😄

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
my performance is both is fine- drama has a major individual project and ipt is a lot of content but i am not able to decide
IPT isn't that content intensive if you have a skim over the stuff you need to know - if you have a decent cohort for IPT then the mandatory group task would not be as much as an issue and learning the content is just pure memorisation. I would presume Drama is more enjoyable as its hands on so if I was in your position, I'd just decide whether I want less workload (IPT) with the drawback of being not as enjoyable or if you're fine with larger workload but you want something more practical?

I can't speak for drama but I can assure you Year 12 IPT content isn't as challenging as other subjects, if you've done solid in Year 11 then there's no reason you'd do bad here - not much of a jump of difficulty.

Diya Jain

HSC
As was mentioned above, making an informed decision depends on 2 factors:
  • Your performance in Drama and IPT throughout year 11
  • Your enjoyment/personal interest in either Drama or IPT.
You mentioned that your performance is fine in both subjects. This is a good start because when performance is not a concern, how you personally feel about each of those subjects therefore becomes the main consideration going forward. Do you feel you lean more towards either Drama or IPT?

I took IPT back when I did my HSC and achieved a band 6 in this subject. Based on my experience, I found the HSC course more interesting than the Preliminary course. As you are probably already aware, HSC IPT explores 3 compulsory topics:
  • Project Management
  • Information Systems and Databases
  • Communication Systems
Additionally, you will be required to study 2 out of 4 Option Strands:
  • Transaction Processing Systems
  • Decision Support Systems
  • Automated Manufacturing Systems
  • Multimedia Systems
I studied Transaction Processing Systems and Multimedia Systems. Overall, I enjoyed IPT. It was a great experience and perhaps having a small class of 10 people taking IPT in the whole school rendered this experience more personalised, and the subject therefore more enjoyable.

Performing well in year 12 requires determination to regularly study and stay up to date with content, allowing you to perform well in assessment tasks/exams. In addition, having/making good quality notes is an important thing to consider and will likely make a positive contribution to your performance, provided you are making good use of your notes. I suggest having a look at this set of notes:

I hope this helps! 😄
thank you

Diya Jain

HSC
IPT isn't that content intensive if you have a skim over the stuff you need to know - if you have a decent cohort for IPT then the mandatory group task would not be as much as an issue and learning the content is just pure memorisation. I would presume Drama is more enjoyable as its hands on so if I was in your position, I'd just decide whether I want less workload (IPT) with the drawback of being not as enjoyable or if you're fine with larger workload but you want something more practical?

I can't speak for drama but I can assure you Year 12 IPT content isn't as challenging as other subjects, if you've done solid in Year 11 then there's no reason you'd do bad here - not much of a jump of difficulty.
thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)