• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hey guys, bit of trouble with this dot point (1 Viewer)

mikey11

HSC
Hey guys, i was doing my summary and i was finding difficulty in answerring this dot point 3.3a from ideas 2 implementation

perform an investigation to model the behaviour of semiconductors, including the creation of a hole or positive charge on the atom that has lost the electron and the movement of electrons when an electric field is applied across the semiconductor

Just wondering if any of you physics aces could help

rama_v

HSC
Check out CSU:

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/physics/core/implementation/9_4_3/943net.html#net5
----
"A procedure to model the behaviour of semiconductors

1. Place two separated halves of an egg carton side-by-side and 5 cm apart.
2. Place a ball bearing into each of the egg holders in one side of the egg carton. The ball bearing represents an electron. This side will be the VALENCE BAND.
3. Now remove ONE ball bearing from an egg holder in each row. This represents doping a semiconductor to create a “hole”.
4. Raise ONE end of the half of the egg carton containing the ball bearings until a ball bearing falls into the space left by removing the first ball. Raising the carton represents the applied potential difference. The movement of the ball bearing represents the electron movement and the apparent movement of the empty egg holder represents hole movement.
5. Repeat the first two steps EXCEPT place extra ball bearings (electrons) between the egg holders. This represents doping a semiconductor to create an n-type.
6. Slowly tilt the half of the egg carton containing ball bearings TOWARDS the empty half.
7. Stop tilting when ANY of the extra ball bearings make it across.
"

mikey11

HSC
Thanx rama v, i checked out csu but i was wondering if neone else had nething different coz i dont unserstand the whole concept

also this question in the cssa trial was a doozy about the bcs theory
the bcs thoery states that in superconducting materials electrons move through the lattice in cooper pairs

using a diagram as a part of ur response, discuss bcs theory by considering a material above and below critical temp.

i got 3 out of 5 for this question but i honetly had no idea and was just wondering what others wrote

rama_v

HSC
mikey11 said:
Thanx rama v, i checked out csu but i was wondering if neone else had nething different coz i dont unserstand the whole concept

also this question in the cssa trial was a doozy about the bcs theory
the bcs thoery states that in superconducting materials electrons move through the lattice in cooper pairs

using a diagram as a part of ur response, discuss bcs theory by considering a material above and below critical temp.

i got 3 out of 5 for this question but i honetly had no idea and was just wondering what others wrote
The concept is quite simple. Basically, put it this way: When an electron in the valence band moves into the conduction band, it (obviously) leaves behind a 'hole', i.e. a region of empty space. Previously, this empty space was occupied by an electron (i.e. negative charge), but since there is an absence of negative charge we can say that it is a theoretical positive charge - a positive hole. So electrons are now free to move to this positive hole. Now you may ask why they would want to do this - good question. Electrons naturally have kinetic energy, so they do random things like jump up and down energy shells. But when a potential difference (i.e. voltage) is applied across a semiconductor (or any conductor for that matter) this random movement becomes controlled - the electron will want to move into the positive hole in an attempt to get from an area of higher potential (the negative side) to an area of lower potential (the positive side). By using the empty positive holes, the electrons are able to achieve this.

Therefore, an electron jumps into this positive hole, and this in turn leaves a region of empty space where it originated from. This creates another positive hole. The process continues, and it looks as if electrons are moving one direction and the positive holes are moving in the other direction. This represents current.

With the BCS theory, I strongly advise reading the Jacaranda Book's explanation and diagram - basically for a superconductor below critical temperature, as an electron moves through the crystal lattice, the lattice 'bends' slightly towards the electron, as the lattice is made of positive ions, while the electrons are made of negative ions. Don’t forget that when something with a mass moves, it creates vibrations. This is true with electrons also. The electron moves through the lattice, and the lattice bends slightly towards it. This has the effect of creating a dense positive charge just behind the electron. If you think about it this makes sense, because the electron would have moved slightly by the time the lattice has bent. This dense region of positive charge 'pulls' another electron towards it. Thus there are now two electrons travelling together - a cooper pair. The pair is free to move through the lattice without any obstruction from the crystal lattice.

When a superconductor is above the critical temperature however, the pairs are not able to form as the lattice is constantly vibrating and knocking back electrons, producing resistance. Thus when no pairs are forming the electrons do not have a 'free path' which they can use to move through the lattice unobstructed…

Last edited:

Jase

HSC
I prefer the analogy approach. Physics is like an unripe banana. You dont't eat it because it tastes like crap, so instead you grab an apple because apples always seem to be ripe. Well, or you could wait.. but you'll be uni by then.

The following paragraph will probably not help you at all in the HSC, but it's a clever device to help you understand better.

Imagine a conductor is like a party. This party is a grown-up party where adults stand around drinking punch, while their kids are walking around in search for snacks. The kids have to weave through all the adults to get to a bowl of lollies on the other side of the dance floor, so they face resistance. Now the kids are the electrons and the adults are the positive ions in the metal lattice. Heating up the conductor, is like turning on the music. So, the adults start dancing and shaking ass, making it even harder for the kids to get through to the lollies.

Now, a semiconductor, is a totally different party. The grown-ups all stand around but this time they're holding their kids in their arms. Kids can't move, adults wanna dance but they can't, cuz theyre holding their kids. Dope the crowd with a childless adult. Turn the music on, what happens? Adults with children hand their kids over to the nearest adult without a kid, and start to dance. The kid basically gets carried across the dance floor through the arms of adults, straight to the bowl of lollies. Electrons are being moved through the holes in the semiconductor like the kids move across the grown-ups arms.

Now a superconductor.. there are a bunch of analogies that go in the same direction as the 'party' theme, but they just don't cut it.
Instead, imagine a superconductor in it's superconducting state.. is like a really really soft matress. If you roll a marble onto it, it makes a dip in the matress. Roll a second marble perfecting in line with it and it'll roll into that dip and knock the first marble out. That marble will keep rolling and creating dips that keep the second marble following it. How does that apply to BCS? use your imagination....

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
the investigation we did was have 4 tables in the classroom with 4 people around each of em, then we removed one person from one table and the teacher "applied a potential difference to the classroom".....

then the people jumoed from one table 2 another 2 simulate the moving of a whole.....

similarly, if u hav 5 people on one table, the electorn moves, (the person).....

this demonstrated both the p and n type...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)