Hey how much do you think is expected of the crime essay? (1 Viewer)

rayy_bann

HSC
In terms of number of paragraphs, cases, examples etc. For example I talked about the criminal trial process like adversary system, charge pleas negotiation, role of juries with different perspectives ranging from judges, dpp and victims 'vocal' in order to answer the question. I also used some cases and stats and quotes. I wrote 3 booklets, and yes I know quality is primary before quantity BUT judging from what I discussed and the length of it I don't really know what to expect. I mean I think I really answered the question but what is expected for a 15 marker? Given that most essays in hsc are 20 or 25. Do markers expect the same quality/ quality in crime just as with the option essays in legal?

Last edited:

wogboy23

HSC
In terms of number of paragraphs, cases, examples etc. For example I talked about the criminal trial process like adversary system, charge pleas negotiation, role of juries with different perspectives ranging from judges, dpp and victims 'vocal' in order to answer the question. I also used some cases and stats and quotes. I wrote 3 booklets, and yes I know quality is primary before quantity BUT judging from what I discussed and the length of it I don't really know what to expect. I mean I think I really answered the question but what is expected for a 15 marker? Given that most essays in hsc are 20 or 25. Do markers expect the same quality/ quality in crime just as with the option essays in legal?
I too wrote 3 full booklets
Question I reckon wasn't too bad, but seeing words and peculiar phrasing that didn't match up with the syllabus threw a lot of people off and myself initially
My argument was a little weak but I talked about;
-police powers and their investigation process - also how inadmissible evidence of DNA could hinder ones freedoms (I used a statistic) and also how police may abuse their discretionary powers - eg. keep the accused in interrogation for more than 4 hrs without the court-approved extension of 8 hrs
-also the criminal trial process - the perceived success of the adversary system where both parties present their oral arguments - but still the fact that the individual is deprived of inequity of distribution of skills, resources and knowledges - I underpinned my contemporary case R v. Campbell where Judge Latham on a rare occurence let in media in tarnishing the idea of "open justice" - his previous convictions were brought up and sexual infidelities in characterising him as a "philanderer" - I also mentioned use of witnesses in aiding the case and overwhelming evidence used against him which to some extent questions the legal maxim of him "innocent before proven guilty"
-then I talked about these tensions evident by such post-sentencing considerations eg. preventative detention and continued detention where sex offenders under the "Serious Sex Offenders Act 2006 (NSW) could be held in custody after their sentence has been served - as well as 2 yrs monitoring of sex offenders under the Sex Offenders Registration Act
-then I concluded with young offenders - how whilst the community does push for rehabilitation/welfare model it is not used widely enough (Shopfront Youth Legal Centre) - and still heavy reliance on custodial sentences - ineffectiveness shown further by the Bail Act and also these tensions trying to be alleviated with Greg Smith's proposed reforms

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey yeah that's really comprehensive. I focused more on the criminal trial process though. I used so many cases and stuff as well. I'm hoping I did good but as Ive been asking I don't know much they expect for a 15 marker. I mean for both my option papers I wrote 4 booklets with about 3 times the amount of cases/ data compared to my crime one. I'm worried if I had to do the same amount as such. But there is a 10 mark difference in the weighting of the questions. Idk.....

wogboy23

HSC
I'm really unsure too. I did 5 booklets for each of the options (consumer and family) but my writing was HUGE
same, used way more case laws/media articles and legislation in options.
Sounds like you know what you're doing though, whereas some of mine may have been verbal diarrhoea. I really want 23+ for the essays (I enjoyed to be honest how they tried to rut out the planned/rote learned responses) and 13+ for the 15 marker. Overall though, there is an element of unpredictability.

rayy_bann

HSC
I really want 23+ too but in my trials I only got 20. Like people say my teacher is a hard marker and I would like to really believe that seeing as I was like the top mark- ish. I specifically hope the crime essay is marked alright. OMG 5 booklets? How big is your writing. My writing is kinda small. I just managed to write 4 booklets cause I write really fast. Otherwise I would be on my 2nd booklet lol

Exotic

HSC
Why would you write 3 booklets for a 15 mark question? I wrote 1 booklet only, that is around 700-800 words, my writing is really small. The options were 4.5 pages each. I think thats enough, its pointless to write so much and use gigantic letters just to fill up space.

JayCakie

HSC
3 books? :O That's amazing!
I spoke about the criminal trial process; and then how I explained how the concept of the right to a fair trial and the presumption on innocence can impede on specific social values.
I had another paragraph on the issue of Remand. I spoke of the outline of the UDHR and how it states the incapacitation without a conviction is a violation of individual rights. Then I rebutted this with possible society's view. - Police Powers Act (fml forget the name of it atm) and I used the Haneef Case with the terrorism laws.
There was a large page on young offenders, whereby I outlined the conceptual components and factors of young crime (doli incapax) and legislation. I stated that there is resent tension over these matters as stated by documents published at the Murdoch University. Then proceeded to explain the significance of this and how this could have ultimately influenced society's perceptions hence conflict.

There were other paragraphs on stuff but I can't seem to remember them..... because I had physics today and now I AM FREEEEEEE.

HSC
3 booklets for a 15 mark q? 9 pages? Wow, how many words per line? I hope you didn't waste your time on it :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)