Hey what did you put for short answers: ratification of HR and sovereignty? (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
I just talked about United States and Australia doing their own thing in terms of state sovereignty and the power to make their own laws regarding capital punishment.

wogboy23

HSC
ratification was a multiple choice wasn't it -like the one where Australian human rights are punishable in Australia after ratification?
In terms of the 6 marker on how state sovereignty enforces human rights - Despite protecting asylum seekers from persecution, I emphasised its ineffectiveness as it recognises the state as the ultimate political and legal power making laws for its citizens without external interference - thus one nation cannot impose a treaty on another nation. I also highlighted this through my contemporary international human rights issue of child solidiers - mentioned how state sovereignty affects the international community from stopping such African regimes from manipulating child soldiers s human shields - like areas of Sierra Leone and Uganda where they can comprise up to 70% of the regime. I emphasised it as a hindrance in enforcing such legislation as the Additional Protocols to the Geneva Conventions (1977) as well as the rarity of an intergovernmental organisation (African Union) and its Convention on the Rights and Welfare of the Child - limits effectiveness also of such laws as the Rome Statute like Article 8 - against the "recruitment, conscription and enlistment of any child under the age of 15 in armed forces"
i then used a contemporary article "Eight More Countries Sign Peace Treaty" to stress despite the limitations of state sovereignty, international collaboration can overcome this as shown by French Minister Alice Joyandet?

What would you give that out of 6 peepz?

Definition of state sovereignty and outlining how one human right has been recognised (I used abolition of slavery) was quite straightforward
as was naming 2 NGO's - I used again my issue of child soldiers - Human Rights Watch and Coalition to Stop the Use of Child Soldiers

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC
Did the sovereignty question ask for reference to an issue?

sakatahahaha

HSC
N/A
This was my structure for tackling the question.

- Introduce issue ... extent of issue... ( human trafficking and slavery )
- Define state sovereignty - ultimate law making power of a state its ability to govern its own internal affairs without outside interference and their ability to make laws governing their country
- Talked about how this is important to ensure compliance with international treaties and the ratification of international treaties
- UN Protocol to prevent, suppress and punish trafficking in persons especially women and children - which is signed by most of the sovereign states
- Australia's ratification of the protocol and it's 'sovereign' ability to incorporate it into domestic law
- R-V-Wei Tang 2008 - talked about how Australia governs its own internal affairs with abuse of human slaves under the commonwealth 270 division of code and how she was charged to 10 years on 5 counts of possessing slaves and 5 counts of limiting their movement
- Concluding statement

That was my answer step by step :)

wogboy23

HSC
This was my structure for tackling the question.

- Introduce issue ... extent of issue... ( human trafficking and slavery )
- Define state sovereignty - ultimate law making power of a state its ability to govern its own internal affairs without outside interference and their ability to make laws governing their country
- Talked about how this is important to ensure compliance with international treaties and the ratification of international treaties
- UN Protocol to prevent, suppress and punish trafficking in persons especially women and children - which is signed by most of the sovereign states
- Australia's ratification of the protocol and it's 'sovereign' ability to incorporate it into domestic law
- R-V-Wei Tang 2008 - talked about how Australia governs its own internal affairs with abuse of human slaves under the commonwealth 270 division of code and how she was charged to 10 years on 5 counts of possessing slaves and 5 counts of limiting their movement
- Concluding statement

That was my answer step by step :)
I too defined it but I thought mainly issues of state sovereignty were more a detriment or hindrance in enforcing rights because you cannot impose a treaty on another country - and it makes it difficult to enforce such treaties and international conventions (mine were to do with child soldiers) as a country cannot go and "invade" another country. Because of state sovereignty, it is difficult to prosecute and even arrest international criminals - but I conclude by saying that these problems in enforcing human rights associated with child soldiers are overcome by international collaboration of states "Paris Peace Principles"

I guess maybe its different depending on contemporary issue. Mine was Child Soldiers so I think it was wise to mainly focus on state sovereignty as a key obstacle in enforcing HR
Thoughts?

sakatahahaha

HSC
N/A
I too defined it but I thought mainly issues of state sovereignty were more a detriment or hindrance in enforcing rights because you cannot impose a treaty on another country - and it makes it difficult to enforce such treaties and international conventions (mine were to do with child soldiers) as a country cannot go and "invade" another country. Because of state sovereignty, it is difficult to prosecute and even arrest international criminals - but I conclude by saying that these problems in enforcing human rights associated with child soldiers are overcome by international collaboration of states "Paris Peace Principles"

I guess maybe its different depending on contemporary issue. Mine was Child Soldiers so I think it was wise to mainly focus on state sovereignty as a key obstacle in enforcing HR
Thoughts?
Sorry for being late. Well sovereignty can be explained from different angles. The approach I took was "ultimate law making power of a state" that was my general conscience in answering the question as I explained how sovereign countries tackled the issue domestically and I also tried talking about how they try and get other countries with this problem to make laws regarding their country in tackling the issue .. i.e. UN protocol to suppress, punish and stop trafficking in persons especially women and children

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)