Historical Period Notes: Greece 500-440BC ~ UPDATED (1 Viewer)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Notes on Greece by the Syllabus

Causes, course and consequence of the First Peloponnesian War

• The period of Greek history 460 – 445BC has been termed the First Peloponnesian War

• It was a period in which the Athenians shifted from being naval power to a mighty land empire.

• In 460BC, Athens broke her long-standing alliance with Sparta. Athens began supporting Egypt against Persia in 459BC. Athens further alienated Sparta by forming an alliance with Argos, Sparta’s enemy.

• In 459BC, Athens went to Megara’s aid in a border dispute with Corinth. Athens and Corinth had been trading rivals for years. Corinth was helped by Aegina. Athens captured Aegina and forced her to become a member of the Delian League

• Back in Athens, Pericles was concerned with the security of Athens and began building the Long Walls to the Piraeus as an added defence. They formed a corridor from Athens to her port along which grain and other essentials could be brought in the event of siege.

• Corinth asked Sparta for help against Athens. In 457BC, Sparta went to Attica and met the Athenians at Tanagra. The Spartans were victorious but then retreated.

• In the Battle of Cenophyta in 457BC, Athens gained control of all of Boeotia except for Thebes. Athens now controlled Boeotia, Phocis and Locris.

• In 449BC, Pericles proposed an interstate Pan-Hellenic Congress to consider the restoration of the temples destroyed by the Persians, policing of the seas and whether there should be offerings to the gods for having delivered the Greeks from the Persians. The other states were not enthusiastic but Pericles used League funds to rebuild Athens.

• In 450BC, a peace, the ‘Five Year Truce’, was negotiated with the Peloponnesian League.

• In 449BC, the Peace of Callias established peace between Persia and the Delian League

• Many cities in Boeotia started to rebel against Athenian rule. They met at the Battle of Coronea where Athens lost control of Boeotia.

• Hearing of this success, Megara and Euboea also rebelled. While Pericles was putting down the revolt in Euboea, Sparta helped the Megarians to defeat the Athenians.

• Faced with the threat of the Spartan army attacking Attica, Pericles in 446BC made peace with Sparta, the ‘Thirty Years Peace’. Athens gave up its remaining possessions in the Peloponnese in return for 30 years of peace with Sparta.

• In 440BC, Samos revolted and almost simultaneously Byzantium also revolted. Athens quickly suppressed both revolts.

• For the next 15 years, the former balance of power between Athens and Sparta returned until the outbreak of the Peloponnesian War.

Last edited:

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
I still have my essays from last year on Greece 500-440 (great period) and this is the first time I have been on here since I got my UAI cause someone PMed me about them!
I think I also have a few essays and sparta stuff
Can't work out how to put em on so email/msn me and I'll send them over :)
-Brett
hawkseye43@hotmail.com

Last edited:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Here's a whole bunch of notes I compiled when I did the hsc last year. I was going to copy and paste them into here, but there are quite a few tables, so ive just added them as word documents.

if any don't work, please let me know.

good luck!

1. Campaigns against Persia and revolrs in the Delian League
2. Development and nature of Athenian Democracy
3. Nature, composition and activities of the Peloponnesian League
4. Origins, organisation, activities and management of the Delian League
5. transformation of the Delian League into the Athenian Empire

kama87

HSC
need some help here! plz

hey!
ive just looked thru some of your notes on Greece- just wondering if you have any more on the First Peloponnesian War? My gay teacher hasnt given us any notes for that dot point
if you could help me in any way id be grateful :eek:)
thankyou

lol_1

Hey grk_styles, just wanted to thank you for your notes. They totally saved my bee-hind!!! I would have died without them, so THANKS HEAPS!!

sctr

HSC
grk_styl said:
Here's a whole bunch of notes I compiled when I did the hsc last year. I was going to copy and paste them into here, but there are quite a few tables, so ive just added them as word documents.

if any don't work, please let me know.

good luck!

1. Campaigns against Persia and revolrs in the Delian League
2. Development and nature of Athenian Democracy
3. Nature, composition and activities of the Peloponnesian League
4. Origins, organisation, activities and management of the Delian League
5. transformation of the Delian League into the Athenian Empire
thanx dude, i just need the transformation part, but TOPS *thumbs up*

Tasian gangsta

HSC
Sweeeeet stuff with the notes buddy!
It saves me rewriting my messy sums on this topic and it is just as good if not better.
Better not let my teacher find out though.
u guys heard of Mrs Jan Rolph?
She wrote part of the textbook Antiq. 3 and she is awesome!

But back to the point... these notes rock!
thanx heaps!

ajv1

HSC
did anyone anywhere did athens in the time of pericles?
rly ive looked all over the joint lookin for stuff on this and the majority of stuff on greece is sparta....serious...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
ajv1 said:
did anyone anywhere did athens in the time of pericles?
rly ive looked all over the joint lookin for stuff on this and the majority of stuff on greece is sparta....serious...
I did, your right, like 60 percent of the state or something like that does sparta

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)