History ext or ext 2 english? (1 Viewer)

lilkiwifruit

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2004
Messages
439
Location
Wonderland
Gender
Female
HSC
N/A
Hey im in yr 11 and i'm currently studying M.Hist, 3u maths, english adv, ext 1 english, legal and economics. I'm first in ext eng and hist..by only 1 or 2 marks so i could easily get knocked off...lol :eek:
I was wondering for yr 12, should i choose ext hist or ext 2 english or both??
 

kami

An iron homily
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Messages
4,268
Gender
Male
HSC
N/A
Would there be a huge problem just starting the classes for both and dropping the one you like least, or even continuing with both if you enjoy them both?
 

Sweets

objective subjectives
Joined
Aug 20, 2004
Messages
1,150
Location
Somewhere over the rainbow..
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
When I was in year 11, I was totally torn with the same decision and i ended up choosing ext2 because of line clashes and I don't regret it one bit (well maybe sometimes when I realise my work is crap) but If i could I would have probably like do to have tried Ext history. So i'm with Kami, try both and see what happens.
 

Sweets

objective subjectives
Joined
Aug 20, 2004
Messages
1,150
Location
Somewhere over the rainbow..
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
I do Society and Culture and Extension 2 and its not THAT bad. As long as you can do one of them early, leaving you to stress about the other one.
 

kami

An iron homily
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Messages
4,268
Gender
Male
HSC
N/A
For everyone there is a different threshold of stress, some can't handle any Major Works some can handle 5. It should be noted that there are alot of subjects where you may have to something similar to Major Work anyway even though it doesnt seem like it at first. For example in Chemistry I have a 4000 word research assignment which just goes to show that picking a subject without an external Major Work component won't neccesarily save you stress and research and you should make your choices with more than just the Major Work in mind.
 

veridis

droog
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
716
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2005
yep all subjects require alot of sustained effort over the entire year if you want to excell. IMO major works are actualy and advantage cause you can do em whenever you get motivated not have to do it when theres and exam or something. for me that was a big help given that i'm lazy as. i'm doing hist ext and ee2 btw
 
X

xeuyrawp

Guest
1/5kiwifruit said:
ok thanx for the advice...but would it be tooo stressful to do two major works for yr 12?
Like I said here: http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=75714 ,

doing lots of MWs can be stressful, especially if you have a tendency to procrastinate, or just generally be lazy.

Major works are far less forgiving than normal subjects if you're lazy, but have are very rewarding if you work hard early on. Doing the works early is the key to it all.
 

bonniejjj

Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
119
Location
Lismore *blah*
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
1/5kiwifruit said:
Hey im in yr 11 and i'm currently studying M.Hist, 3u maths, english adv, ext 1 english, legal and economics. I'm first in ext eng and hist..by only 1 or 2 marks so i could easily get knocked off...lol :eek:
I was wondering for yr 12, should i choose ext hist or ext 2 english or both??
Hey I'd just like to put in my two cents... well, I do both ext 2 english and ext history, and I consider them amongst my rewarding and enjoyable subjects. I think you should DEFINATELY at least try both, and then if u decide its not for you you could drop one. But I really do recommend doing both! I did 3 unit maths in year 11 too but I dropped it at the end of last year... I guess its just a matter of preference. You clearly show an aptitude for history and english, so give it a go!
 

fine ambiguity

almost there
Joined
Oct 19, 2004
Messages
85
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
1/5kiwifruit said:
Hey im in yr 11 and i'm currently studying M.Hist, 3u maths, english adv, ext 1 english, legal and economics. I'm first in ext eng and hist..by only 1 or 2 marks so i could easily get knocked off...lol :eek:
I was wondering for yr 12, should i choose ext hist or ext 2 english or both??
You do exams for ext history. None for ext 2. Just thought I'd mention that :D
 

Carnivour

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
217
Location
asylum
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
fine ambiguity said:
You do exams for ext history. None for ext 2. Just thought I'd mention that :D
yes, but some people are much better at handling exams than others, hence giving them an advantage. and considering there are plenty of people that are dissapointed with their ee2 marks because they've spent a long time on their major works, but it didnt pay back. its all much of a muchness.
 

miss cherry

- ladidaaaa -
Joined
Apr 5, 2005
Messages
37
Location
*somewhere over the rainbow*
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
bonniejjj said:
Hey I'd just like to put in my two cents... well, I do both ext 2 english and ext history, and I consider them amongst my rewarding and enjoyable subjects. I think you should DEFINATELY at least try both, and then if u decide its not for you you could drop one. But I really do recommend doing both! I did 3 unit maths in year 11 too but I dropped it at the end of last year... I guess its just a matter of preference. You clearly show an aptitude for history and english, so give it a go!
i totally agree with bonniejjj, i do both ext history n ee2, n besides the 4 morning classes a week, i do not regret taking them up. i dropped 3u after prelim as well n thats prob been one of my better decisions since i SUCK at math. anyway... theyr realli enjoyable classes if u like independant learning, motivation is important too, but it helps that u get to choose what u do. i agree with the other ppl, try both n see how u go. good luck!!
 

Mandy101

Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
255
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
Do history extension! It's interesting, engaging, and not a whole lot of work.
 

hello99999

Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2004
Messages
126
Gender
Female
HSC
2004
History extension (both the major work and the course work) is really good preparation for doing humanities at university, even if you don't actually continue 'history' itself as a subject at that level. It is v. interesting as well. The major work isn't really as much of a big deal as everyone makes it out to be, it's really only a longish essay with references.
Ext II english is a very risky subject- I know people whose teachers thought their major works were really good and they ended up only getting average marks. History extension is a little less risky because the major work is marked internally.
I picked extII eng & hist ext at the beginning of yr 12 & ended up dropping extII. You should probably give both a try so you know which one you think you'll do best in.
 
X

xeuyrawp

Guest
hello99999 said:
History extension (both the major work and the course work) is really good preparation for doing humanities at university, even if you don't actually continue 'history' itself as a subject at that level. It is v. interesting as well. The major work isn't really as much of a big deal as everyone makes it out to be, it's really only a longish essay with references.
Ext II english is a very risky subject- I know people whose teachers thought their major works were really good and they ended up only getting average marks. History extension is a little less risky because the major work is marked internally.
I picked extII eng & hist ext at the beginning of yr 12 & ended up dropping extII. You should probably give both a try so you know which one you think you'll do best in.
That's a very good point. I've seen people's (good, imo) EE2 major works be destroyed, marks-wise.
 

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
2,376
Location
Sydney/Bathurst
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
ok here's a tip straight fro me to you:

DO EXTENSION 2!!! NOT HIST X!!! HIST X IS A NIGHTMARE!!!

that is all. take my advice or you'll be sorry. i did x2 but dropped and have regretted it ever since.
 

know_it_all

Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Messages
350
Location
syd
i do both ee2 n hist ext
u gota give them both a try!
theyr demanding, but worth it
scaling is better for ee2...but its very subjective and risky
so u mite be able to do more with a gud hist ext mark..
 

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
184
Location
Sydney
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
try the both of them out and see how it goes

as aforementioned by almost everyone else, ee2 & ext. histo are very demanding subjects.. major works in general are quite demanding.. I've got three - visual arts, ext. histo & ee2 and I must admit they all screwed me over at one point but hey.. I've finished 2 of the 3 mw's.. I've only got my reflection statement to agogo
 

niteshade1312

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
667
Location
Sydney
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
well in concerns to the mention about major works. I'm doing ext hist and dt and drama and although I kinda of thrive that stuff, i didnt find it to bad. Depends what you also want out of your final year. I would choose hist (but thats because i hate english :p)
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top