History Extension or English Extension 2? (1 Viewer)

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at this.

I was planning for the future, and I a came across a hurdle. Extension 2 English or History Extension? Yikes!

I was wondering if you could share your insights with each of the subjects. Which scales higher, or are they relatively equal? Which is more enjoyable? Is one considered more difficult than the other? Also, what is History Extension about - what do you study? I know what English Extension 2 is about.

In terms of marks, I am better at English, however the complete independence from Extension 2 is hard to digest. In terms of interest, I am completely equal as to both potential choices, however I am very ignorant as to what History Extension is about - I know it's about the history of history?

Finally, History Extension will have a very good teacher, while English Extension 2 is a risk - I could get an average teacher, or I could get a very good teacher.

Thank you very much all! :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I don't think you should make any definitive choices for extensions, particularly ones involving major works, i.e. HX and EE2. I think by the end of year 11, the extension you want to do will be a lot clearer.

iirc, EE2 scales better. Although HX is up there as well. I wouldn't make a decision based on scaling, because it changes every year. As long as your major is really good, you will be unaffected by scaling.

Enjoyability is dependent on the person. I have a lot of friends who do HX and EE2 (not both though) and it's a very mixed response for both subjects. They will both require a lot of work and dedication to produce something worthy of an E4. Keep that in mind :)

History Extension, to my knowledge, is the discussion of different perspectives on a certain historical topic or figure. I might be wrong, but that's what I picked up from hearing about my friend's major works. It's more on the historian side of history, iirc. HX is quite independent as well. Actually, all subjects involving MWs are independently driven and intensive.

In terms of teachers, I know it can be a pretty big thing if you get a teacher you do or don't like, but ultimately, if you have enough passion for whatever you're doing, it should eclipse whether or not your teacher is good.

If you're interested in both, I suggest you pick up both at the start of year 12 and drop the one you feel less passionate about.

Hope that clears things up a bit, but seriously, don't worry about these things now. I had no idea I was going to pick up MX2 when I was starting in year 11 and decided after yearlies I would do it :p Your perception will definitely change over the course of the year, so don't be so resolute with your decisions. It's good you want to have a plan and all, but just remember to keep your options open.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)