Ho Chi Minh - help? (1 Viewer)

vanitysnare

HSC
I have a question that I need to answer about a speech Ho gave in 1945 (Declaration of Independence)... Why did he mention Tehran and San Francisco with reference to the Allies? Need help ASAP please.
The whole Vietnamese people, animated by a common purpose, are determined to fight to the bitter end against any attempt by the French colonialists to reconquer their country.

We are convinced that the Allied nations which at Tehran and San Francisco
have acknowledged the principles of self-determination and equality of nations, will not refuse to acknowledge the independence of Vietnam.

A people who have courageously opposed French domination for more than eighty years, a people who have fought side by side with the Allies against the Fascists during these last years, such a people must be free and independent.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The Allied leaders met a number of times during the war - Yalta and Potsdam are the best known Conference but they also met at Tehran and San Francisco among other places to discuss the conduct of the war and plans for the post-war world. San Francisco is where decisions were made to try again for a multi-national body to keep the peace (the present UN).

Tehran is actually where the leaders met for the first time in 1943 while San Francisco was the second last conference of the war.

vanitysnare

HSC
Ah, cheers :D I knew San Francisco was liberated from the Spanish so I thought it may have been to do with Ho's views on Imperialism? but thanks, that link to the war and Tehran Conference helps me make sense of it all :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)