How difficult/generous can the HSC markers be? (1 Viewer)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Are they ridiculously cruel or does it really depend on luck?

deceptionex

HSC
Like most things in life, it's all about luck. Just hope you get a markr whose favourite football team just won a match, and you'll be criusing a top band in the subject.

friend177

HSC
luck man...just hope the marker is not in an absolute shit mood.

aheyhey

HSC
Any number of factors can influence how lenient/cruel they can be. Like whether you use black/blue pen, whether they've had their coffee, shortsighted or nearsighted. ... They're only people after all and they have to mark about a couple of thousand papers each.

I'm just kidding. I've talked to some HSC markers. They have marking guidelines and there are supervisors who frequently check whether the markers are marking correctly or not. So yeah, like 4025808 said, you get marks where they see fit.

deceptionex

HSC
Maths, science, it won't matter so much. But English, you can get raped depending on the mood of the marker.

friend177

HSC
Maths, science, it won't matter so much. But English, you can get raped depending on the mood of the marker.
i think thats why there have like more than 1 marker for an essay, i could be wrong but i heard about 12 markers mark one essay lol..

Nympha

HSC
i think thats why there have like more than 1 marker for an essay, i could be wrong but i heard about 12 markers mark one essay lol..
Err, lol doubt it. Simply arent enough teachers. It's marked by 2 people, and if there is a large disparity in the marks, it is given to a senior marker who then gives you your final mark.

friend177

HSC
Err, lol doubt it. Simply arent enough teachers. It's marked by 2 people, and if there is a large disparity in the marks, it is given to a senior marker who then gives you your final mark.
ah yes, dont know where i got 12 from..probs got mind screwed from maths.

Mixalli

HSC
So i have a question, if i forget to display the y-intercept on my graph in Q4 (vi) would i lose a mark despite me solving it in part iii?

deceptionex

HSC
I'm sure the question was "Sketch the graph showing all features from (ii)-(v), so for every feature you miss out, it's a -1, where the maximum negative you can go is -2.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
So i have a question, if i forget to display the y-intercept on my graph in Q4 (vi) would i lose a mark despite me solving it in part iii?
Yes - the questions specifically told you to graph it and if you didn't then you wouldn't have satisfied all the criteria.

damo_g

HSC
Do you guys think i'd lose a mark for not making the statement, true for all n stuff, at the end of the math induction?

deceptionex

HSC
Nah, even the board of studies helpline told us not to, if its 3 marks or under. Just saying "by mathematical induction, this crap is true" is enough

dydx

HSC
Nah, even the board of studies helpline told us not to, if its 3 marks or under. Just saying "by mathematical induction, this crap is true" is enough
+1. In the marking guidelines, they don't require the statement, but the markers would always prefer a short brief statement e.g. "Therefore proven true by the principle of mathematical induction (or M.I.)"

kappy

HSC
if you cross something out, yet the answer is visible and it is the only response on the page. will you still be able to get a mark?

Last edited:
HSC
so after looking at terry lee's solutions i got 68/84 for 3u (shit)

i want my marker to have just marked a bunch of 10/84s so they say, "yeah dis kid, good goat"

i gain 2 marks - hit 70 (yay (still shit))

i question the integrity of chocolate

damo_g

HSC
if your cross something out, yet the answer is visible and it is the only response on the page. will you still be able to get a mark?
Interested to know this as well. When i got the negative time for the cooling question i crossed it out at first (only 1 diagonal line, it's still clear). But then when i didn't know what else to do i just drew an arrow pointing to it and wrote "correct" in the hope i could get some marks for it. Turns out i got the right answer, just didn't realise how to use it.

Nympha

HSC
Interested to know this as well. When i got the negative time for the cooling question i crossed it out at first (only 1 diagonal line, it's still clear). But then when i didn't know what else to do i just drew an arrow pointing to it and wrote "correct" in the hope i could get some marks for it. Turns out i got the right answer, just didn't realise how to use it.
To both you and the OP, yes. Seeing as its only a 3 mark question, you'll probably get 2 marks for your correct working out.
@OP, I'm not sure whether you wrote the correct final answer or not.. if not, you'll get 2 marks. If you did, you will probably get 3 marks, but dont quote me on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)