How do I get good in the HSC (1 Viewer)

spyder101

HSC
Hi, I am a guy who did not perform that well in year 10, teachers were biased which led me to change schools. Now in year 11, I feel im better than what I was in my previous school. I wanna get good in my hsc but dont really find my self time to study very often, usually distracted. I get home from school at like 5, dont have time to even eat properly, because I want to make best use of my life these 2 years. My friends moved to a better schools but im stuck in a relatively bad school at a rank of around 178, takes me 1 hour to travel there. What can I do to fully maximize my efforts, cause I want to beat my friends who go to better school.

Zerodeath

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I am a guy who did not perform that well in year 10, teachers were biased which led me to change schools. Now in year 11, I feel im better than what I was in my previous school. I wanna get good in my hsc but dont really find my self time to study very often, usually distracted. I get home from school at like 5, dont have time to even eat properly, because I want to make best use of my life these 2 years. My friends moved to a better schools but im stuck in a relatively bad school at a rank of around 178, takes me 1 hour to travel there. What can I do to fully maximize my efforts, cause I want to beat my friends who go to better school.

Haven't done my HSC but here is what i could supposedly say.

"teachers were biased which led me to change schools"

There is still some subjects that you could have done well at such as Science and Math as they have minimal bias, were you more of a humanitarian guy? A good student will do good anywhere in my onion, whether you place them in James Ruse or a rank 500 school, you can't change a person's intellect. Also Idk what rank your previous school was, but it's quite easy to be liked by the teachers if the school rank is poor as you would probably be the only person that cares about education and that is what the teachers will appreciate.

" I get home from school at like 5, dont have time to even eat properly, because I want to make best use of my life these 2 years."

That's bad time management, plenty of selective kids travel that long and reach home at similar times. 1 hour is the standard people travel to get to where I go. I get home around the same time as well.

"What can I do to fully maximize my efforts, cause I want to beat my friends who go to better school."

Sure, everyone wants to. Just keep your head up and start doing work, there is no short cut to it, work smartly and not hard, spend time on subjects you lack the most (that was a big one for me in Junior Years, esp Eng). Eventually you will see improvement in less than a month. A change in mindset is the gateway to everything.

Hope this helps.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
You can do it. I think you should set small goals like first finishing all homework and assignments and then starting on study notes. Make sure you have a good balanced life meaning sleep well and eat well otherwise this can seriously impact your concentration. Try to organise study periods into your day with small breaks. Also I believe that you should focus on what you find hard, so that later on it will be easier for you.

idkkdi

HSC
Where's the study 6+ hours a day gang, @Hscbuzman. Also, school rank doesn't matter as long as you're rank 1 internals. Internals other than rank 1 and the last rank are determined with slight relation to the mean mark. Internals 1 will be exactly externals 1.

HSC
I believe you should get into the mindset that you will perform well, it really is a confidence booster for your studies. If anything, you should be eating instead of studying - your health comes first before your studies. Manage your time better, make small goals and schedules to keep on top of your work. Also for the record, school rank doesn't matter. I know people who have gone to local schools ranked 150ish and still get atars of 95+. It's just how you apply yourself and strive to keep a positive mindset.

_Anonymous

HSC
Don't let your school ranking drag your morale down. Your school's rank doesn't determine your own capabilities. If you put in the effort by studying diligently, asking questions to consolidate your understanding and actually understanding the content; you're 60-70% there. The remaining 30-40% comes from learning how to answer the questions which once again, you ask your teachers advice from. If you do well in school and rank 1 or even top 5-10, you're gonna be fine. It's better to aim for top ranks though because setting high goals tend to motivate you to perform at high standards. If you can, maybe seek help from tutors or coaching centres if you ever get stuck with concepts and your teachers are of no use. Make sure you have time for eating and sleeping; don't just study constantly. Have breaks in between study periods to relax.

You also gotta realise going to a top school doesn't guarantee you a good ATAR (however you define that). People there just tend to be studious in general and hence they are "higher ranked" but even then, there are some outliers who don't put in the effort and don't do as well as their peers.

But lastly, enjoy your final two years in high school dude. Hang out with friends in recess and lunch and after school (although account for studies as well). The last two years honestly were the best times in my high school "career". Don't be the kid who won't share notes when asked or even worse, distributes false info just to rank at the top. If your grade does well, chances are you'll get dragged up as well.

Last edited:

spyder101

HSC
Thank you for all your replies I will put all my efforts to get good :) Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)