• Want some good practice on harder HSC questions?
    Our BoS trial exams will be held on:
    ● 4th October (Maths Ext2)
    ● 4th October (Maths Ext1)
    ● 5th October (Chemistry)
    Click here for details on how to register
  • Happy 20 YEARS to us!

how do i solve this using non right angle trig (1 Viewer)

Masaken

HSC
help would be greatly appreciated
is there a way to solve it with non-right angled trig? Because a way I would use required just algebra and drawing your own right angled tringles (from the left end of the 18m down, and the same with the right end).

To calculate the width of the river (let's call it w), consider when it's both closed and open.
Closed: w = 2x (because x + x)
Open: using the right angled triangles you drew up and rearranging it, w = 2xcos50+ 18.
Then just sub in w into 2x, then solve the width from there

fx82au

HSC
@Masaken explained it amazingly. This is a very common question, so make sure you know how to do it!

kkk579

HSC
N/A
is there a way to solve it with non-right angled trig? Because a way I would use required just algebra and drawing your own right angled tringles (from the left end of the 18m down, and the same with the right end).

To calculate the width of the river (let's call it w), consider when it's both closed and open.
Closed: w = 2x (because x + x)
Open: using the right angled triangles you drew up and rearranging it, w = 2xcos50+ 18.
Then just sub in w into 2x, then solve the width from there
ohhh okay tysm it was part of the non right angle trig section of the textbook so i just assumed it needed non right angle trig to solve it lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)