how do ppl study for ECON110 and HRM107? (1 Viewer)

anna12125

HSC
I'm a first year and have never touched business or economics in the first 17 years of my life until now. I've been reading the content in the textbook and i do get some of the stuff. I've been wondering if i'd be able to remember EVERYTHING for the final exam. Therefore i want to ask if the final exam really covers every single chapter.

Also, is it normal to be behind in your lectures? say if the lecturer is up to chapter 4 and i'm at chapter 2 or 3.

Also, i'm finding the HRM107 'Industrial Relations - a contemporary Approach ed 3' textbook by Bray and etc really difficult to comprehend (too many citations and technical words). Is there anyone who has possibly passed this unit with good grades willing to explain any alternative methods to studying this? I haven't touched business studies before either =0

williamc

HSC
I did econ at highschool and did pretty well in it (93), so im finding econ 110 really easy. All i do is read the textbook.

But for someone that has no economic background, i recommend you keep reading over and over the textbook and make your own study notes according to the textbook.

antisheep

HSC
I'm only a first year too but I can tell you what I've been doing for ECON110?

to be honest... there's been a couple of times that i haven't read the full chapter before the lecture but I always make sure I read the summary and have a look at the synopsis and learning objectives before every lecture. They're at the beginning and end of each chapter in the text and are really good... not to say that you can stop there but they're good if you're stressed over time. On the weekends I go over my lecture notes and read the textbook in more detail and try to add in things from the textbook etc. Remember you have a 4 day weekend coming up so you can catch up on the reading you've missed. The Study Guide mentioned the chapters that aren't assessable but I can't think of them at the moment.

Try not to stress. So long as you're understanding the material and doing the tute questions every week that's the main thing. You can use easter weekend etc to read more indepth.

yehriteo

drop out
HSC
You don't need to know absolutely everything in the textbook to get a distinction in econ110.

Later on in the unit they introduce different graphs for different markets and the key is understanding everything about the graphs including how they move using chains of causations. The majority of the final is based on purely that. What you're learning now, there may be some MC questions in the final on it but it's not critical.

Chillax

surjulz

HSC
from memory my tutour said "memorise the diagrams", that was the hardest part of the subject. but as long as you knew what they meant you would okay.

Do they still use the Rod O'Donnell text for this? that book was quite hard to read through, but the chapter summaries were useful.

antisheep

HSC
surjulz said:
from memory my tutour said "memorise the diagrams", that was the hardest part of the subject. but as long as you knew what they meant you would okay.

Do they still use the Rod O'Donnell text for this? that book was quite hard to read through, but the chapter summaries were useful.
Nope they changed texts this year to one that's actually quite easy to read. They're following it fairly closely too

anna12125

HSC
thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to know that there would be multiple choice questions. I'm more worried for Human Resource management (HRM107) actually because the prescribed textbook is so hard to read as it has many citings.

kevinant

HSC
I don't have to do ECON110 until next year yay... screw economics
I didn't touch any business/economics subjects in HSC either...just maths and sciences.....i don't know how will i go with that subject and i will probably dislike it..

antisheep

HSC
I expected to hate macro and it's actually my second favourite... if you expect to not like it then you probably won't. Just have an open mind!

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
You don't need to do Economics in HSC to do well in ECON110. Of the 5 people from my school (2006 graduates) who do EFS courses at Mac uni, me and one other guy were the only two to pass ECON110 last year, and we were the only ones who didn't do Economics in the HSC lol. We got the top 2 UAIs of the 5 people, but still, it goes to show that doing Economics won't necessarily put you over the top.

ECON110 is really a subject where you need to understand why everything happens. There are a LOT of people who fail ECON110 simply because in the final exam, they can't understand how different things relate with each other and they completely struggle in the long answers as a result, and the markers will HAMMER you for this.

Also, a lot of people who get really good results throughout the semester in ECON110 screw up their final despite thinking they went really well. I was lucky, because I missed 5 topics and still got a P thanks to getting the compulsory question + owning what i knew lol ;) but there seem to be a LOT more fails in ECON110 than there are in other first year subjects, so be very wary of this sub.

williamc

HSC
Boxxxhead said:
You don't need to do Economics in HSC to do well in ECON110. Of the 5 people from my school (2006 graduates) who do EFS courses at Mac uni, me and one other guy were the only two to pass ECON110 last year, and we were the only ones who didn't do Economics in the HSC lol. We got the top 2 UAIs of the 5 people, but still, it goes to show that doing Economics won't necessarily put you over the top.

ECON110 is really a subject where you need to understand why everything happens. There are a LOT of people who fail ECON110 simply because in the final exam, they can't understand how different things relate with each other and they completely struggle in the long answers as a result, and the markers will HAMMER you for this.

Also, a lot of people who get really good results throughout the semester in ECON110 screw up their final despite thinking they went really well. I was lucky, because I missed 5 topics and still got a P thanks to getting the compulsory question + owning what i knew lol ;) but there seem to be a LOT more fails in ECON110 than there are in other first year subjects, so be very wary of this sub.
lol you're bragging with a P.

williamc

HSC
yehriteo said:
P's are awesome
a P will be awesome for ACST 101, but not for ECON110, actually id proally just drop out of uni and become a tradey to be honest.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
williamc said:
lol you're bragging with a P.
williamc said:
a P will be awesome for ACST 101, but not for ECON110, actually id proally just drop out of uni and become a tradey to be honest.
lol... I'm bragging that I missed a chunk of the course and still passed, with ECON subjects being my worst both semesters :(.

btw, how the hell is ACST101 harder than ECON110? ACST101 is so easy... rofl its an effortless D/HD (I got HD) provided you're adept enough at basic algebraic manipulation.

williamc

HSC
Boxxxhead said:
lol... I'm bragging that I missed a chunk of the course and still passed, with ECON subjects being my worst both semesters :(.

btw, how the hell is ACST101 harder than ECON110? ACST101 is so easy... rofl its an effortless D/HD (I got HD) provided you're adept enough at basic algebraic manipulation.
Ok so your asian relax.

ECON is fucking easy.

ACST requires maths. even if it is basic.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
williamc said:
Ok so your asian relax.

ECON is fucking easy.

ACST requires maths. even if it is basic.
No, I'm Croatian who just happens to be good at maths, as indicated by the Croatian flag present on the shirt of my South Park avatar. ;)

ECON110 isn't heaps hard, but it's a subject that a LOT of people tend to fail, even if they are going good early on. eg, my mate scored 12/13 on the MC test, 16/20 on the long answer test, and was VERY confident about the final, but he scored a Credit, when he OWNED his other finals (including coming 1st in maths). This happened to a LOT of people, so I wouldn't say ECON110 is "fucking easy" when a lot of people who legitimately understand the course get low grades in it.

williamc

HSC
Boxxxhead said:
No, I'm Croatian who just happens to be good at maths, as indicated by the Croatian flag present on the shirt of my South Park avatar. ;)

ECON110 isn't heaps hard, but it's a subject that a LOT of people tend to fail, even if they are going good early on. eg, my mate scored 12/13 on the MC test, 16/20 on the long answer test, and was VERY confident about the final, but he scored a Credit, when he OWNED his other finals (including coming 1st in maths). This happened to a LOT of people, so I wouldn't say ECON110 is "fucking easy" when a lot of people who legitimately understand the course get low grades in it.
Btw they dumbed down the course this year.

Simplified the maths to which there is no calulus.

But yer i can see what you are saying.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
williamc said:
Btw they dumbed down the course this year.

Simplified the maths to which there is no calulus.

But yer i can see what you are saying.
Oh okay, I'm not sure what the course involves this year so I can't comment on how hard it is for you (coz the syllabus will change) but yeah, make sure that you keep on top for ECON110, coz it can seriously surprise you with how shifty the marking is.

ECON111 is very fair though, if you're good at Economics, you'll almost definitely get at least a Credit in it. If you understand the course, you won't get shafted by marks.

Good luck!

shhy8029

HSC
N/A
IMO.......to pass the course you'll have to know everything they teach you..and comfortable with drawing diagrams and give appropriate explanations...

because in the final, there are more than 1 question you can choose from each part, and each questions are of combined topics...

and everything you learnt thru the semester are in the exam..not even one left behind...that was what my final was like..

I'm so happy that i passed that subject..I'll never do it again if i had the choice....

sja

dingleberry
HSC
anna12125 said:
I'm a first year and have never touched business or economics in the first 17 years of my life until now. I've been reading the content in the textbook and i do get some of the stuff. I've been wondering if i'd be able to remember EVERYTHING for the final exam. Therefore i want to ask if the final exam really covers every single chapter.

Also, is it normal to be behind in your lectures? say if the lecturer is up to chapter 4 and i'm at chapter 2 or 3.

Also, i'm finding the HRM107 'Industrial Relations - a contemporary Approach ed 3' textbook by Bray and etc really difficult to comprehend (too many citations and technical words). Is there anyone who has possibly passed this unit with good grades willing to explain any alternative methods to studying this? I haven't touched business studies before either =0
Take this from a 2nd year student who went through exactly what you went through;

You won't remember everything in the final exam, this is why it's important to go over your tutorial work answers AFTER the week has been handed in/completed. This is crucial to learning the concepts, re-visiting them and seeing why you were wrong/misunderstood.

Is it normal to be behind your lectures? No. Catch up, you need to keep pushing on. If you stop you'll have to do massive cramming later on. Keep fighting I know it's hard. Don't listen to most of the geeky asians that say they don't study they're all lieing.

The final exam, you'll find in basically every single Commerce related course in university, covers material from week 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. 11 and 12, the exam becomes a bit drifted and you'll tend to be able to avoid most of it without cramming. Trust me you'll know what I mean when you go through your subjects.

How to study for ECON110 (and all your business/economics subjects):

Firstly, you'll probably be frustrated at how often you read your book and nothing goes into your head. Well, the whole point of reading your book is to get the general overview and 'feel' for what you're going to be addressing in your problems.

In fact, I used the text book when I did ECON110 to get used to the jargon. I did physics/chemistry in Year 12 so I had no idea about the business world! What is inflation? Interest rates? Labor supply? They will all make sense after a while....

And now how you study for ECON110 --

In Week 4, you get Week 3's tutorial work and go through... question by question, the answers. Read over them and make sure you thoroughly know them. Scroll through your lecture notes for Week 3/4's work and jot down the formulas.

Now, you pre-read Week 5's lecture notes and make notes on them before you attend the class. That way you'll sink everything into your head twice as fast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)