How do you challenge your prejudices? (1 Viewer)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I know most people don't like to think of themselves as racist/sexist/homophobic, but the truth is, everyone has some forms of prejudices, sometimes it's more explicit that others (and some people more than others, obviously). What I want to know is, how do you challenge your own bigotry when you're aware of it? Do you ignore it? Do you question it? Do you try to justify it?

Discuss! :)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I know I'm right :cool:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
ncap? meh anyway, one that ive been challenging for a few years is treating homosexuals different to everyone else. Ive always believed they have a right to their sexuality and basically everything else, but its been hard to overcome social stigmas that ive probably had since i was a kid. Its hard to completely ignore, or maybe just completely accept that someone else is different, and its hard to stop seeing them as gay, and start seeing that as just a small part of who they are.

Ive been challenging it by making friends with gays, going to a few gay clubs and so on. I think iam pretty close to complete acceptance and understanding. Now, instead of the whole gay thing and their rights been an intelectual thing [ i.e me intelectualising that they are just like everyone else so they shouldnt be harassed] i genuinely feel it. Pretty hard thing to overcome when my family is homophobic and ive been raised in that environment, but also society as a whole sees being gay as a bad thing.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
dagwoman said:
I know most people don't like to think of themselves as racist/sexist/homophobic, but the truth is, everyone has some forms of prejudices, sometimes it's more explicit that others (and some people more than others, obviously). What I want to know is, how do you challenge your own bigotry when you're aware of it? Do you ignore it? Do you question it? Do you try to justify it?

Discuss! :)
I don't like this whole 'you have to be tolerant of everyone' thing that seems to be going round these days. I am a fairly intolerant kind of person and I don't see any problem with it. As far as I am concerned intolerance is a good thing.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Fuck the Jews - there done is that what you wanted?

Being rascist and being discriminative in general is normal. We have to make choices and each choice over another is discrimination. Choices come down to personal perference.

Whats important though - is we dont hurt others with our views - achieving this is often difficult but satisfying once done.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I'm not asking people to come on here and list a bunch of offensive names, and I think you know that. I'm not even asking people to tell what their prejudices are, just how they react to them. Everyone has prejudices, it's how they respond to them that's important.

HSC
its better to be a racist than a liar. I think it is OK to hate a particular group of people if you have a justifiable reason for it, especially if they create so much trouble for the rest of the world (example arabs from which 99% of world wide terrorist belongs)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Indian Princess said:
its better to be a racist than a liar. I think it is OK to hate a particular group of people if you have a justifiable reason for it, especially if they create so much trouble for the rest of the world (example arabs from which 99% of world wide terrorist belongs)
Okay, apparently your answer to my question was "I try to justify it", the operative word in that phrase being "try".

Furthermore, hating an entire group of people for the actions of a few people in that group, let alone thinking it's okay, is not alright.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
dagwoman said:
Furthermore, hating an entire group of people for the actions of a few people in that group, let alone thinking it's okay, is not alright.
well i think it is. prove me wrong.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
dagwoman said:
Not necessarily true. I don't like gay guys not because some of them fuck other guys but because all of them do.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I think it's really pathetic that people make useless comments in threads like this. If you have nothing worthwhile to contribute, don't bother posting.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Serius said:
ncap? meh anyway, one that ive been challenging for a few years is treating homosexuals different to everyone else. Ive always believed they have a right to their sexuality and basically everything else, but its been hard to overcome social stigmas that ive probably had since i was a kid. Its hard to completely ignore, or maybe just completely accept that someone else is different, and its hard to stop seeing them as gay, and start seeing that as just a small part of who they are.

Ive been challenging it by making friends with gays, going to a few gay clubs and so on. I think iam pretty close to complete acceptance and understanding. Now, instead of the whole gay thing and their rights been an intelectual thing [ i.e me intelectualising that they are just like everyone else so they shouldnt be harassed] i genuinely feel it. Pretty hard thing to overcome when my family is homophobic and ive been raised in that environment, but also society as a whole sees being gay as a bad thing.
Yeah, I didn't know where else to put it. I figured prejudice tied into politics, but anyway.

I think it's really admirable of you to not only acknowledge a shortcoming like that about yourself (having prejudice against gay people) but also challenging yourself to rethink it. And not only mentally challenging it, but going out and learning more. If only there were more people in the world who challenged their bigotry in such a way.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I worked at Oxford St (office work) as well as live in Newtown for a while. I couldn't particularly help feeling uncomfortable around those that dressed in drag if we weren't in a pub/club etc (where I would treat it like dress up). I'm not sure why that is, but I don't feel any fear or hate against them.

As for being racist, sexist or homophobic, I can't say I have these sorts of mentalities. I might have a minute amount of what could be sexism (as in, hypothetically, my future son would probably get away with anything moreso than my future daughter), but I can't say I'm as bad as some people I know.

I'm also pretty prejudiced against unfortunate looking people. I find this happens with some of my uni people; when I have them on msn, they're awesome to talk to. In real life, I rather not associate with them. I'm aware of it but I cannot help it. I still listen intently and care if they're upset etc, but if they ask me someplace on the weekend, it's a probable no.

There you go.

As for fixing these prejudices, I don't think I bother trying to because I must think I'm "good enough". The thing about my "future son & daughter" is probably a natural thing, with so much coaxing of social conditions and the fact that I'm female myself is probably why.

Last edited:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
I'm also pretty prejudiced against unfortunate looking people.
What does this mean? Ugly?

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
I challenge my prejudices by thinking about things from a different point of view, "How would I feel if I have certain qualities which I have absolutely no control over and others would discriminate me, and think less of me because of it (eg. homosexuality, race, gender, natural appearance)" That pretty stopped any discrimination I might have. As I am also very comfortable with my sexuality (hetero) and as the result I do not fear homosexuality.

While I am by no chance the nicest or friendliest person around, I believe that people should be treated with respect and dignity, regardless of whatever qualities they have that might be different to mine.

Whatever prejudices a person have, he or she should be aware that nobody could choose which race they could be, nor could they choose their sexual preference. You yourself were too subject to the randomness of fate and complex genetics- The straight person who discriminates against gay people could have been born gay as well.

Purposely treating people badly merely because of these uncontrollable surface qualities shows a lack of intelligence, education and compassion. The modern, educated person should try not be clouded by prejudice, but rather look at people's real characters underneath their skin.

The only discrimination one should have imo is that towards evil people- murderers, rapists, etc

Last edited:

ellen.louise

HSC
I know I have prejudice. Homeless people scare the shit out of me to the point that I make sure I don't walk near them on the street.
I prefer to spend time with more attractive people, because for some reason they seem to be more fun.
If I listen to music and love it, then see a pic of the band and they all look like fucking retards, I normally don't like their stuff as much after that... (Greenday is the exception. They look a bit crap and dress too young but they have some damn good songs).
Stuff like that. I know that I act differently to different people and some people get away with things others don't, because I am a biased, opinionated person.

I think the best way to deal with that is to accept that it's there, and keep in mind that it's influencing the way I act. That way I (try to) make sure that I don't hurt people with my opinion.

ZJ NingNing

HSC
I prefer to spend time with more attractive people, because for some reason they seem to be more fun
That is exactly why I am your best friend. *nodding*

I have prejudices too. lots, in fact. I pay more attention to better looking people. I care about how smart other people are, but once I really get to know them, it just matters less. maybe I am just used to their look and everything. but after I have known some people for years, I sometimes still have fits and look at them and think: my God you are good looking!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)