How do you Study 4 UNI. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i have a few questions regarding this topic.
in da HSC i just use to do notes and then just learn them, if i didn't understand something i would just refer back to da textbook. I did that with all my subjects except maths and i worked for me, but the thing is the notes took too long to sometimes do.

My question is at uni do i do the same thing or how does everyone usually study at uni. i see the uni textbooks are really big, and for me to summarise that i need like a year (considering that i am slow), so what is the right way to go about things.

oh and another question do u take the textbooks with you 2 uni or how does it work.

and just incase ur wondering my course is gonna be something to do with business.

thanks

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I read the lecture notes that are put up online. Sometimes I will summarise part of them before the exam. I'll also read the summaries of the textbook chapters, also during the week before the exam, and maybe even summarise some of that.

What you should be doing is reading the entire textbook chapter before the lecture and then take notes during the lecture. Then answer the tutorial questions. I don't do any of that. But if you do it will be easier when you come to the exam, you can just read the lecture notes you made and the textbook summaries and will be smarter than I am.

Edit: Some textbooks aren't that much bigger than HSC textbooks but some are pretty big and you only have 3 months so summarising the whole thing is a waste of time. You should take textbooks to tutorials because there are usually questions from them, and they may even be useful for reference in lectures. I personally leave them at home because they are heavy and I can't be bothered carrying them around.

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
It depends, each lecturer has their own style. Some will write what can only be described as novels as their lecture slides, and read word-for-word off them. Others will have presentations of nothing but pictures and diagrams which you have no hope in hell of understanding unless you make your own notes along side them.

Similarly, some lecturers will put their notes up in advance, some after the lectures, and some not at all.

santaslayer

HSC
Lecture notes consists of Heading, subheadings and more HEADINGS.

I use the headings for my study. It allows me to study less and study specifically for core themes in the subject which I know will be in the exam.

I simply use an A4 notebook for my notes. Type it up at home. Print it out. Condense it more by highlighting keywords.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I've had lecture notes before that are just headings and dot points and I have had other lecture notes that describe everything you need to know. It just depends on the lecturer.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
In most cases if you study a maths subject and the majority of your study involves summarising topics and notes etc. then you are headed straight for a sub 50 score. :D

Edit: I also think the above is the case for many subjects where you need to rote learn the material in textbooks.

Last edited:

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
make friends with ppl who have already done it and steal their notes (if they passed)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Generally what I do is read over my lecture notes. My course rarely has textbooks and we rarely have exams as well. All our assessments are assignment based, or if we do have an exam its usually open book - but that doesn't make it any easier.

For subjects with exams and textbooks what I usually do, is compare my lecture notes and online notes (if they have them) and make an end of chapter summary for the relevant section of the textbook.

Some subjects in the past I've needed to take textbooks to uni - especially sciencey subjects for labs and just general questions about diagrams etc. Or I'll take them on the train to do some reading.

Also, you might have nice lecturers who in the final week, or second last week will give you a clue of what to study in your final exams.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
SweetSeasons said:
I have a credit average
Is that supposed to be something to be proud of/happy with/satisified with?

If don't already understand, my previous comment wasn't directed specifically at you. It is a statement which is true for a large proportion of people. The way I see it, credit and pass are both fairly poor grades so there's not much difference.

SweetSeasons

HSC
lol. meh I wasn't into uni this year.

I'm getting HD's this year but cause I'm doing what I want

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
beccaxx said:
isnt that all u need?
Yes, that is all you need. Sometimes you can even get just below 50 and still obtain pass after making various pathetic pleas to your lecturer. [/sarcasm]

What a waste, you're paying thousands of dollars each year and for what? To simply obtain a 'degree' (pfft) with a pass mark?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Benny1103 said:
Is that supposed to be something to be proud of/happy with/satisified with?

If don't already understand, my previous comment wasn't directed specifically at you. It is a statement which is true for a large proportion of people. The way I see it, credit and pass are both fairly poor grades so there's not much difference.
A credit average is very decent. It's the grade which distinguishes you as a good student rather than an average student. A Distinction average shows that a student has excelled remarkably.

Remember that there are no poor students at uni, because they never made it to uni. So don't start claiming that credits and passes are poor grades... because that only shows your ignorance.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Raiks said:
A credit average is very decent. It's the grade which distinguishes you as a good student rather than an average student. A Distinction average shows that a student has excelled remarkably.

Remember that there are no poor students at uni, because they never made it to uni. So don't start claiming that credits and passes are poor grades... because that only shows your ignorance.
Benny1103 said:
The way I see it, credit and pass are both fairly poor grades so there's not much difference.
Learn to read. I said "the way that I see it." I did not say that my words should be taken as if they are universally correct.

But if you want to discuss it ok. The way I see it (used italics for your convenience) is that a credit average does not make you a good student. Technically better than a pass student yes, but in reality the difference is very little. Many people can spend very little time actually studying the subject material and still pull off a credit average because they are clever. But does that mean that they understand the material very well?

If you are getting an average mark of pass then you are not an average student. Most people exceed the pass mark. So if you're just on a pass mark then you are not an average student. Rather, you are near the bottom.

Also, keep in mind that just because you made it into uni, it doesn't automatically make you a good student. Whether or not you are a good student in uni is determined by your grades. So it shows a high level of ignorance to even suggest that all uni students are automatically of a good quality simply because they made it into uni.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
But on the inverse, it shows your ignorance in saying that those with Credits and Passes are poor students.

The reason for fails are for those who have not achieved the necessary requirements.

They are there for arbitrary reasons, to distinguish between the failing and the passing. The ability to pass is measured, but having passed/satisfied, means that you will complete a degree, not everyone who gets passes is dumb nor smart, its a mark for the tasks completed.

Not everyone is at uni to 'succeed' academically, believe it or not, and what right do you have to criticise those people paying for their own education. If you want to pay for our degrees, THEN you can start commenting on how 'poor' our marks are. As long as you can achieve your goal, whether it be a pass or high distinction, is up to the person.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)