How do you think you did? (1 Viewer)

MarsBarz

HSC
I think I did a lot better than trial. At least this time I completed the exam. I thought the comprehension question repeated themselves a bit but they were straightforward. The speech to Yr 7's was a bit suss but I managed to write 1.5 pages on it so I'm fairly satisfied. I did the comprehension section last so I was really rushing (I used up like 50 minutes on the essays instead of 40 haha). Anyway I think I did alright in section 1.
On to section 2...
The question was bordering on gay. You had to discuss the popularity of the 'journey' theme? Wtf. At least the second part of teh question asked about techniques. I rewrote my memorised essay and just briefly adapted my introduction and conclusion to the 'popular' thing. I managed 7 entire pages.
All in all I filled up 4 booklets.

Overall I think I did alright.

tomcats

HSC
personally i reckon that it was heaps easier than last yrs paper, especially the essay question, you can almost write anything to answer the question. i managed to write 10 pages, but my writing was big really really big. i was mainly concentrating on two prescribed texts and was running out of time for the other two. :(

section 1 is where i stuffed up a bit. for question e), how many techniques are we supposed to write?? coz i only wrote 1 for each (language and visual). some of my friends argued that since it is worth 4 marks, you have to identify 4. i wil be really disappointed if i lose those give away marks. and yah, i did not like that speech question, it looked easy, but i failed to write a motivational talk.

overall, i think i did just okay. :)

Last edited:

alexou

I thought it wasnt that hard, my essay part was good, i spent exactly 40 mintues and wrote 4 full pages, i was quite happy about that.
But for section 1, some questions were weird, like one of them asked the langauge style?? is that the same as lanuage techniques? i was confused.
Overall i did alright but i think i did much much better in trial.

Last edited:

ahmi

HSC
I am not sure whether I did well, coz it didn't really meet my expectation
I rushed the last question in section one, cn't even remembter if I worte one page or 1.5 page.....I didn't really finish writing it as I thought I will hv time later, however I didnt, I just added, "so good luck for all your future" in the end.

Section two, I wrote 7 pages, I reckon it's tricky, coz it's kinda like the module "telling stories", as it also seems to require us to analyse the relationship between the audience and the texts besides talking about journeys. I spent a while thking, for sum stupid reasons I thought we finished at 11:20, so I wrote it slow, then when the examiner said 5 mins left, I had a panic attack, as I still had a stimulus text and conclusion to write.

Fully rushed the stimulus text paragraph, which I only mentioned one technique.

So well~ I really am not sure whether if I did well......

Last edited:

tomcats

HSC
alexou said:
I thought it wasnt that hard, my essay part was good, i spent exactly 40 mintues and wrote 4 full pages, i was quite happy about that.
But for section 1, some questions were weird, like one of them asked the langauge style?? is that the same as lanuage techniques? i was confused.
i think language style is more like the level/register of the language such as formal/informal etc. newayz, i put "logical, formal and respected" down, hope that is right.

polomolo

HSC
lol...all of you are so happy bout your exams...lemmi tell you wat hapened to me..
bloody supervisors are so shit...

we started the exam 15 minutes late...but i did not realize we did...so on the board it says we finish 11:00 am...standard finishes 11:30 am...just like normal

i wrote i wrote...50 minutes past..and i'm like oh shit i got 30 minutes for my essay, how come i took so much time on comprehension...so i rushed my essay...i went through 2 texts in 15 minutes..and i look at the time..there i go, i started panicking and i'm like oh shit this hasnt hapened to me in the past blabalb...but i cut down heaps of the info so i can fit all 5 texts including my intro and conclusion (oviously) coz i was told its important to have the conclusion...so exactly at 11:00 am i finished my essay i mean EXACTLY..

then i look up...i'm waiting for them to say pens down...so i'm like oh well i'll just go polish the shit out of my essay, i went over it heaps of times, and about 3 minute passed...then one of our 3 students in ESL asked...rnt u supposed to collect the papers? to the supervisor...and they sed sumin to her...then she came up to me to tell me "ohh just incase your confused..the board says the wrong time...you finish 11:15" tahts when i was OOFFFF MY HEAD...i was like "YOUR TELLIN ME NOW!!"...shes like "yeh we started late"...okay right then i was in the mood to get up and smash that supervisor but at the same time i was thinkin i better finish my essay...so i started writing 1 2 3 all between the lines and i wrote in point form in the last pages...and i basically covered all the info that came to my head in that last 7 minutes left for me...i was sooo pissed that i just ran out of the room before i get the urge to smash the supervisors. i ran to my principal told him everything...and he's like you'll have to sign the "sick/missadventure form" and he got really angry bout it...he's like your disadvantaged blablabla...HOW SHIT IS THAT!!?!?!
i still cant get over it...its a bloody HSC government exam...and they start 15 minutes late...didnt they think about changing the bloody time on the board to 11:15??! in that 1.5 hours we had!
then i went home called BOS and i'm like how can this happen...their like blablaa...and the guy was so ignorant and shit and i'm like wtf man their supposed to be there for you to tell them ur complaint about sumin serious..i couldv written my perfect essay in 40 minute..wouldnt have to cut out anythin out of it...he was talkin to me like he was in bed or sumin. he's like sign the form...i'm like yeh i already knew that, but how do i knwo that thats gona guarantee me gettin my marks that i lost coz of ur stupid supervisors...he's like i cant say nothing..so i just hung up. lol

I'v had to tell this story 50000 times now lol...anyway guys good luck with paper 2

Last edited:

polomolo

HSC
alexou said:
Style of language is formal/informal...could be factual as well..coz its a biographical piece

piptech

HSC
I totally missed the part where we're supposed to discuss the techniques used. All those memorised techniques gone to waste! I was overjoyed when I saw that it was quite a general question about the popularity of Journeys. Sure, i could just crap the whole way through, and I did just that.

I don't see myself scoring more than 10-12 marks for that one. AS for the first section, well, it was reasonably easy. I manage to get a copy of the Catholic one and didn't even bother to try that one out. Found that this looks easier. Good =)

If my audience is Yr 7 students, I wonder if they'll have trouble understanding my fancy english :p Haha.. I even told 'em "mmmkay kids, don't procrastinate, mmmkay!" - mr. maggie of southpark style ;)

polomolo

HSC
piptech said:
If my audience is Yr 7 students, I wonder if they'll have trouble understanding my fancy english :p Haha.. I even told 'em "mmmkay kids, don't procrastinate, mmmkay!" - mr. maggie of southpark style ;)
hahha that was funny... i wrote..."Life's journey could be described as a metamophasis on humans"...or somein like dat i dont remember, but i had that word in there...and then i kept thinkin shit their year 7 students i better dumb my language down...so i started using "guys" and some colloquial language. and in the end i added this part where "i'm open to any questions" hope it was all good

Um Mahdi

Good Luck

HEyyyyyyyyyyyyyy sup people how r u? and hows was ur examzzzzzzzzzzzzz? i hope u went allright ! anywyas wish u all the best in ur other exams

kaito

HSC
well i fink i did pretty good despite missing one 3mark question because i ran out of time... ==!! the essay question was easy anything works =D as for the speech...i wrote 2pages so im pretty hapi wif it...well good luck for paper 2~~~

Tom-Tom

Meow

the exam was ok but i didnt like the speech question and essay question. i agree with some1 who said the essay question was gay. when i saw the word popular, i went...wtf. it seemed easy bt kinda broad. i did 8 pages 4 dat 1 in bloody huge letters.

dont u guys think we r not ganna get speech question for "english for study"? coz we had a speech Q? wht wud it be then??

Vickstar

I think I did OK. I started on section one in the first 20 min then I jumped to the essay straight away. The essay was cool, I felt so lucky afterwards becos my prepared essay was like 90% matched the requirement.
After I completed my essay I realised I was running out of time. So i rushed through the rest of question one and wrote 1.5 pages for the speech..didn't quite finish it though, but I think it'll be alright

Anti-Mathmite said:
ESL? What a joke. I don't see anyone on this thread having trouble putting a sentence together.
Don't underestimate ESL ppl OK??LOLZ...
We're sometimes better than ppl who are doing Advanced.

tomcats

HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
ESL? What a joke. I don't see anyone on this thread having trouble putting a sentence together.
lol, looks like someones being jealous here, esl is a course specially designed for ppl who come to australia for less than 5 yrs, it is intended to give everyone a fair go. some esl candidates might be more competent but do you realise how much effort they have put into it?? and what about those out there who is having trouble with "putting sentences together" just because english is not their first language?? is it fair for them to compete against those ppl in advance and standard whos been speaking and writing english for over 10 years??

esl ppl, get him!!:D (just kidding,hheh, esl ppl are so kind and goooood)

Last edited:

olchik

HSC
I have passed this ESL exam in May for Pitman certificate. I chose spoken English, higher intermidiate level. I got first class:)

tomcats

HSC
olchik said:
I have passed this ESL exam in May for Pitman certificate. I chose spoken English, higher intermidiate level. I got first class:)
i bet you have absolutely no idea of what this thread is about, how the hell can you pass the exam in MAY!! and do we ever have a "higher intermidiate level" in esl? i highly doubt that.....

VQ

HSC
Umm...dunno what to comment but the section one, I guess, I did okay...and I finished 5 mins b4 time...the essay part >.< then it was the problem...should we relate the 2 qs or what? I just kind of re-write my rehearsed essay and somehow connected it with both the qs but did not sure that I had quite explained the journeys well...after all, g'luck for paper 2

And anyway, it was just because we had not learnt English fully for 5 yrs and we had not lived in Aussie, that's why we learn ESL, I guess....

CoFFee BreAk

HSC
Well, I guess the other users have pretty much defined what is meant by ESL. So I only need to refer to the 'original' question. Mann you guys just couldn't believe it. I screwed up! Really, I did! It seemed that I kept on repeating my mistake of spending too much time on the Journey essay. That only left me with less amount of time to finish off the 1st section -and I didn't finish it. I didn't even finish the creative writing part and the one where we have to compare Text 2 and Text 3!

This would be the BIGGEST regret in my life. Well, what more can I do besides to keep on striving for Thursday? *sighs*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)