How do you use an ATAR calculator? (1 Viewer)

ReneeApple

HSC
As in do you submit your raw marks or your aligned HSC marks?

determine

Premium Member
HSC
ATAR calculators work off aligned marks. They are then scaled (through the ATAR calculator) to obtain an aggregate score out of 500 (which adds up the best 10 units worth of scaled marks) and this then translates into an ATAR. Hope this helps. :)

ReneeApple

HSC
ATAR calculators work off aligned marks. They are then scaled (through the ATAR calculator) to obtain an aggregate score out of 500 (which adds up the best 10 units worth of scaled marks) and this then translates into an ATAR. Hope this helps. :)
Okay, so the calculator works off aligned marks but the actual ATAR calculation is from raw marks?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
You put in your alligned marks from your subjects, then out pops your scalled marks which give you your ATAR.

Bobbo1

HSC
Okay, so the calculator works off aligned marks but the actual ATAR calculation is from raw marks?
No, the actual ATAR is also calculated from aligned marks, i.e. very hard to predict this from your school raw marks and even your practice hsc marks for that matter - so even the ATAR calculator is going to struggle to predict your ATAR.

ReneeApple

HSC
No, the actual ATAR is also calculated from aligned marks, i.e. very hard to predict this from your school raw marks and even your practice hsc marks for that matter - so even the ATAR calculator is going to struggle to predict your ATAR.
I thought that BOS gives UAC the raw marks and then they scale them, so the scaled marks are different to the aligned marks.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In a nut shell:

BOS takes your raw marks from your exams, then some moderation is done, which in the end is your aligned mark... this aligned marks is given to UAC who then determine how much it will scale, etc...

Basically the ATAR calc is acting ling UAC and checking how much it scales and all added up what you'll get in the end.

D94

HSC
N/A
UAC uses your raw marks and your moderated assessment marks from the BOS and then applies their own scaling system. They don't use the aligned exam marks which BOS gives.

Source: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/understanding.html#atar

So really, the AtarCalculator doesn't actually use the right method of calculating an estimated ATAR, but because the UAC system of aggregating is close to the BOS aligning system, the marks which they use are similar to the BOS aligned marks, hence why ATAR estimates are fairly close.

ReneeApple

HSC
UAC uses your raw marks and your moderated assessment marks from the BOS and then applies their own scaling system. They don't use the aligned exam marks which BOS gives.

Source: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/understanding.html#atar

So really, the AtarCalculator doesn't actually use the right method of calculating an estimated ATAR, but because the UAC system of aggregating is close to the BOS aligning system, the marks which they use are similar to the BOS aligned marks, hence why ATAR estimates are fairly close.
Okay, THIS makes sense. That's why I was confused, because I read on the BOS and UAC sites that BOS gives UAC your raw marks and then they scale them. If the scaled marks turn out similarly to aligned marks I can understand it now. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)