how does a catalyst reduce activation energy? (1 Viewer)

chrstinee

HSC
how does a catalyst reduce activation energy? how do i include the collision theory and maxwell Boltzmann in my answer.

idkkdi

HSC
how does a catalyst reduce activation energy? how do i include the collision theory and maxwell Boltzmann in my answer.
maxwell boltzman graph has a line with activation energy without catalyst. This line shifts when there is a catalyst meaning a larger proportion of available molecules is able to react.

for collision theory, more successful collisions happen because activation energy is lower, so particles with lower kinetic energy are now able to have successful collisions.

if you read the book it should become obvious. these explanations above were quite bad, and you really need a graph to understand. chem in focus y12 mod 5 had a few graphs somewhere on this, not sure about y11 book (didn't read it very carefully).

chrstinee

HSC
maxwell boltzman graph has a line with activation energy without catalyst. This line shifts when there is a catalyst meaning a larger proportion of available molecules is able to react.

for collision theory, more successful collisions happen because activation energy is lower, so particles with lower kinetic energy are now able to have successful collisions.

if you read the book it should become obvious. these explanations above were quite bad, and you really need a graph to understand. chem in focus y12 mod 5 had a few graphs somewhere on this, not sure about y11 book (didn't read it very carefully).
This is the full question btw. With that explanation it makes the statement true right ?

Attachments

idkkdi

HSC
This is the full question btw. With that explanation it makes the statement true right ?
not exactly accurate, since
A catalyst provides an alternative route for the reaction with a lower activation energy. It does not exactly "lower the activation energy of the reaction".

but other than this little difference,

ye maxwell boltzman and collision theory should be relevant.

chrstinee

HSC
not exactly accurate, since
A catalyst provides an alternative route for the reaction with a lower activation energy. It does not exactly "lower the activation energy of the reaction".

but other than this little difference,

ye maxwell boltzman and collision theory should be relevant.
Thank you !! If you don’t mind could you help me with 2 more questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)