How Flexible is the RS Word Count? (1 Viewer)

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Okay, I'm putting the finishing touches to my Reflection Statement as we speak, but I've just noticed that I'm up to 1,800 words with more to come. Since the word limit is 1,500 words, will I be marked down for going that far over, or is there a degree of leniency?

Is the maximum 1500, or is that the minimum? How far can we go over? Will our marks be affected for going over the limit?

Thanks heaps.

J

jhakka

Same as with the Major Work, there is no 10% leeway. You are expected to be within 1500 words. I know 1500 is the maximum, but I'm not sure what the minimum is.

robo3687

Tired
HSC
1000-1500 words for the reflection statement. This is stated cearly in the syllabus and other support documents. Going over is a bad thing, as is being under.

Aim for the middle.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i have seen successful applicants with considerably larger reflection statements. i recall one containing 1830 words. i'm not sure whether it is closely monitored, though it would perhaps be noticeable if one was very very long

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Yeah, but if you are able to explore more techniques in yours than another of shorter words then it's unfair.

300 words is a lot of talk.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i never implied anything about it being fair. i felt it was rather inconsistent with the markers to allow for such a long reflection statement, though it has been addressed in a previous thread as to how they calculate the word count, and how it might only be an approximation

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
As with short stories, films, speeches etc. they give you a range to stick to and you're expected to stick to it. Otherwise, they'd just say 'write approx. 7k words'. Blackman's right though, some people do have really long reflections.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
Mine is 200 words over. Do you think they'll penalise me? Because I honestly could not be fucked re-editing bits out :'(

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
If they penalise you for that HSc markers are more sadistic than I thought.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
they won't notice 15 words over unless they physically count every single word. 200 is pushing it (but some of the reflections in showcase are 1800+. double standards, perhaps?)

gorgo31

HSC
For those only just over - maybe try footnoting the author of resources you mention instead of typing it in the body? I'm pretty sure that if you only footnote authors and page numbers, if necessary, that they will not count in the word limit.

timmay05

HSC
bloody hell

everyone note that open office counts footnotes...

I thought mine was 1575 words... instead it is 1370ish

I am not adjusting it though because it is good atm

and covers everything... so why would I change it

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
I reckon it should be 2k words. There's just not enough space, in my opinion. As it is, I've snuck in an extra 100 words.

Pointy Ears

HSC
Mine was 1670 words, but my teacher wouldnt let me edit it!
She said it was fiine the way it was, and that 'after marking 50 MW a day, we [the markers] srsly couldnt give a shit about word limits'.

J

jhakka

I'll quote myself from another thread.

jhakka said:
What is expected and what actually happens are two different things. They expect you to be within the word limit, though they won't actually count and then knock you down for being three words over.
Just for those who are worrying about being just a bit over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)