How good is ANU? (1 Viewer)

chiny

Heaps of people says its the best in australia but is it worth going 6 hours away from home to study and live there for the next 4-5 years. and wats it like there, any good people, social life, things to do?

mack

Banned
HSC
ANU has come first out of Australia's universities on those international rankings. It has a large focus on international relations(e.g law grads are suited for govt/politics rather than city firm jobs like UNSW/USYD grads). Alot of people will tell you it isn't as good because the cutoffs are lower than the city ones, but thats a pig headed, close minded attitude. I've been to Canberra a few times, there are plenty of things there to keep you entertained.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I don't see why Australians are so wrapped up in the beach and social life. Considering that some of the worlds foremost educational institutions (Oxford, Cambridge, Yale, Harvard, MIT etc) are not only far from the ocean but also not in a major city. These places are fun, but it's not all "drunken arse vomiting" but rather intelligent things e.g. the MIT Hacks. I think it's because a lot of you people have an aversion to actually working and just want to party all the time.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
The UAI is merely a measurement of supply and demand. Nothing else.

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
my brother is at anu, i've stayed with him a couple of times. the uni looks nice and from what he tells me the school of music is pretty good, but canberra as a whole is a piece of shite. After you do the touristy things there is shit all to keep you occupied.

maybe im just biased because i've been near the ocean all my life, but i guess many people would share my opinion if you weren't born in canberra

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
I've lived in Canberra for 13 yrs! If your aiming for a quiet place to study with ur mind at ease then ACT is definitely your place.

As for entertainment there's NOTHING to do besides watching movies, clubs and probably shopping (not much variety either!). The labour government is very stingy here. Very rarely do they organize any public events like fireworks etc. and when they do the WHOLE Canberran community emerges en mass after being starved of entertainment.

If entertainment and FUN is your thing then the Canberra life is not your thing. I plan to escape from this trap sometime in the future.......

HSC
I lived in Canberra for half my life. It's a really nice place. It's clean. Everyone is middle-class, and educated.

As bizarre as it might sound, Canberra (on average) is the smartest place in Australia. It's only state to vote for a Republic, it's also quite left wing.

If I was studying anything other than Communications, I would've gone back to Canberra.

HSC
ANU is the best uni in Australia and one of few unis in the world that does exchange programs with oxford uni in england. It has some of the best qualified lecturers and good class sizes.
Canberra has good shopping and pretty good nitelife. The best thing about it though is that the people are super friendly and nice unlike wat you may find in other cities around aus where they are completely arrogant and snobbish.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
How good is ANU for sciences and engineering; what are its research strengths and interests?

envy87

HSC
ANU is one of the best research institutions in the nation....its relaly good for science...i've onyl really had an in-depth look at the physics department, but they have plenty of research programs, and seem to be quite successful...i saw the phys dept and its FANTASTIC...i have no idea about the other sciences, tho i imagine they would also be of the same high calibre

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)