• We need YOU to help the next generation of students in the community for the new syllabus!
    Share your notes and trial papers on our Notes & Resources page
  • Like us on facebook here

How hard should you try in year 11? (1 Viewer)

hs17

HSC
I'm in year 11 who just moved to a selective school. Everybody around me is stressing out a lot. How much effort and stress is generally required in year 11?

ultra908

HSC
hmmm... it depends. You definitely don't wan't to treat year 11 as a joke, its a great opportunity to try out some new things, get a good feel of your subjects, and develop good habits for year 12. That said, your marks don't really count for anything and none of the content (except for maths) is assessable in hsc. So definitely work and try to get into good study routines, but theres no need to stress out if you make a mistake or get a bad mark. You don't need to suddenly stop all extra curricular or neglect your social life either.

vinlatte

HSC
hmmm... it depends. You definitely don't wan't to treat year 11 as a joke, its a great opportunity to try out some new things, get a good feel of your subjects, and develop good habits for year 12. That said, your marks don't really count for anything and none of the content (except for maths) is assessable in hsc. So definitely work and try to get into good study routines, but theres no need to stress out if you make a mistake or get a bad mark. You don't need to suddenly stop all extra curricular or neglect your social life either.
I agree with this. When you put enough effort, you can realise which subjects you are good at and enjoy.

Plus prelim isn't completely useless, it helps develop building blocks of info in each subject so yr 12 content becomes "easier" in a sense.

throwaway2318

HSC
I do know in my school your marks/ranks in Year 11 determine whether you can do Math Ext. 2. If not, then you should understand/consolidate math topics for Year 12, since they form the basics and if you don't understand then you'll struggle. And as the two above said, get into a good study routine so you don't regret doing so when Year 12 rolls around.
If you ever need help/don't understand anything, make sure you ask your teachers.
...also make sure you know your skills for science (if you do any) since i didn't revise and failed my year 11 practicals :< cri. That was definitely my own fault though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)