How important are raw internal marks to state ranks? (1 Viewer)

tgone

HSC
In my situation, I am tentatively trying to get a state rank for chemistry (other subjects if possible, this one slightly more probable based on standard deviations haha), and I am wondering how important the raw internal mark is for determining state ranks... my school generally has quite difficult internal assessments for sciences (average for tasks always a fail with a few students doing alright clustered at the top and many below), so I am worried that my raw average not appearing high enough might decrease the chances of a sr, even though my standard deviation and average is relatively strong compared to the cohort of my partially selective school (not very highly ranked, but not low ranked school either) (I am 1st at the end of internals, raw average of 87-88, average is ~15% above rank 2 in a chemistry cohort of 70 students)

Or is the impact of the internal on this purely based on rank/standard deviations? If so, is this sufficient (provided the external mark is good enough, raw 96+ seems doable at this point, but who knows what will come up) for a sr? Thanks, and apologies if there is no good answer for this considering nesa doesn't release exactly how they do it (or if I am just missing something behind one or two google searches :))))

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
State ranks are overrated. Just get the absolute highest mark you can get in the HSC and the state rank will come with it (plus you’re ranked first so you’re only competing with yourself at that point).

You’re stressing for nothing.

tgone

HSC
State ranks are overrated. Just get the absolute highest mark you can get in the HSC and the state rank will come with it (plus you’re ranked first so you’re only competing with yourself at that point).

So... internal is only relevant for the rank essentially? Thanks!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

Agreed since I personally believe there's a little bit of luck with state ranks (if the exam questions are better suited towards ur strengths, if you make 1 silly mistake you could lose the state rank, etc).

tgone

HSC
Agreed since I personally believe there's a little bit of luck with state ranks (if the exam questions are better suited towards ur strengths, if you make 1 silly mistake you could lose the state rank, etc).
so... the consensus is do very well on externals and if I am rank 1 in internals it goes from there? hahahah... thanks for your reply :)

carrotsss

HSC
If you’re rank 1 internally then you get the highest external mark of your cohort (presumably yours) as your school assessment mark, you’re fine.

idkkdi

HSC
In my situation, I am tentatively trying to get a state rank for chemistry (other subjects if possible, this one slightly more probable based on standard deviations haha), and I am wondering how important the raw internal mark is for determining state ranks... my school generally has quite difficult internal assessments for sciences (average for tasks always a fail with a few students doing alright clustered at the top and many below), so I am worried that my raw average not appearing high enough might decrease the chances of a sr, even though my standard deviation and average is relatively strong compared to the cohort of my partially selective school (not very highly ranked, but not low ranked school either) (I am 1st at the end of internals, raw average of 87-88, average is ~15% above rank 2 in a chemistry cohort of 70 students)

Or is the impact of the internal on this purely based on rank/standard deviations? If so, is this sufficient (provided the external mark is good enough, raw 96+ seems doable at this point, but who knows what will come up) for a sr? Thanks, and apologies if there is no good answer for this considering nesa doesn't release exactly how they do it (or if I am just missing something behind one or two google searches :))))
sd/relative mark doesn't matter if ur r1 iirc. u just get set as the top ext mark for ur int mark.

dasfas

HSC
got it. so, just get 100 in the external... surely hahaha
For chem, you need 98 to state rank, 99 is typically first in state. And yeah you need to be ranked first internally

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)