How many pages should you write for Advanced and Extension English essay q's? (1 Viewer)

SanjoyM

HSC
How many pages should you write for Advaned and Extension English essay questions?

Belonging essay?
Module A, B and C - Advanced English
Extension English - critical response

I was informed that you should not exceed more than 1, 500 words (8-9 pages)?
For Belonging, apparently you should only write approxmiately a 1000-1,200 words (7-8 pages) ?

Confused. Writing my essays atm and I'm a bit confused?
BTw, My Frankenstein essay is approx 1,480 words. Is that enough?

Thanks! :)

D94

HSC
N/A
If you can write 1500 words in around 40-45 minutes, then go for it. Unless it's useless ramble then why not get as many relevant points in as possible? TBH, I doubt you could write 4500 words in the set time. You can get straight to the point and get 1000-1200 words per essay done, with assurance that you're not going to spend too much time on one essay, and not enough on another.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I wrote around 5 pages for each module, and 6 for my creative. However, my essays weren't memorised (except Mod C). I think I wrote around 1000 words for each essay.

IN b4 next poster talks about "quality > quantity...it doesn't matter how much you write..."

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Write as much or as little as you need to get 20/20.

sweetkiki

Unconscious Member
HSC
N/A
with an average sized writing
English advanced 5-7

English Extension 7 minimum (I mean come on, you have an entire hour)

loaves

HSC
1000 words per essay is a good benchmark for Eng Adv - anything below that is getting too short, anything above that is a bonus (as long as it's not just rambling).

Remember to also give yourself time to adapt your essays to the question! If you have a really long essay you can get too focused on just getting it all down as fast as possible.

ibbybiby

HSC
I've been told aim for a number of words, not pages. Anyhow your number of pages depends on your words per page.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
For Advanced, it should be ATLEAST 800 words per essay if not 1000+.

If you write less than 800, it's pretty much impossible to get the top marks since there wouldn't be enough detail.

SanjoyM

HSC
My essays are usually 1000-1200 words :)
For example, my belonging is 1059 words with the remainder to adapt my essay to the q :)
Frankenstein - 1, 4780 words, and I've scored a 18.5/20 for that, so I don't think I've rambled lol (Just textual details and analysis/comparison/contrast)

Extension English - 1,500 words (approx 8.5 pages)

SanjoyM

HSC
One more question:

What would HSC markers suggest?
A linear or an integrated essay!
ALL my essays are integrated at the moment (including Belonging) - Just confused! Though many HSC markers preferr an integrated essay, some students have achieve high marks (19-20/20) with a linear structured essay!!

Thank you

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
One more question:

What would HSC markers suggest?
A linear or an integrated essay!
ALL my essays are integrated at the moment (including Belonging) - Just confused! Though many HSC markers preferr an integrated essay, some students have achieve high marks (19-20/20) with a linear structured essay!!

Thank you
They'd prefer integrated. However, linear is much easier to do.

enoilgam

HSC
For Advanced, it should be ATLEAST 800 words per essay if not 1000+.

If you write less than 800, it's pretty much impossible to get the top marks since there wouldn't be enough detail.
This, 800 is the absolute minimum, but I would be aiming for 1000. Also, quality trumps quantity, so chances are 800 words of quality essay is likely to beat 1200 words of mush.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, quality trumps quantity, so chances are 800 words of quality essay is likely to beat 1200 words of mush.
This is only true within reason. A "very good" 400 word essay would have no chance of beating an "average" 1000 essay.

enoilgam

HSC
This is only true within reason. A "very good" 400 word essay would have no chance of beating an "average" 1000 essay.
Agreed, I probably should have added that. My modern teacher used to tell us that "quantity has a certain quality to it". To produce a high quality essay, it needs to have a degree of detail, therefore, an essay lacking in quantity will likely not meet this criteria.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Ideally I was told,

1.1k - 1.2k for modules.

900ish for creative.

Though "quality over quantity", why not write more if you had more to say.

enoilgam

HSC
Though "quality over quantity", why not write more if you had more to say.
Its used more to warn people away from feeling compelled to write more stuff for the sake of it - if you have more good stuff to say then its probably a good idea to say it if you can fit it in. But if you dont have more good stuff to add, then you should probably refrain from adding it.

zoelea

HSC
N/A
I graduated last year, i did both advance and extension english. For advanced, you shouldn't be writing more than 1200 words for each section, so no more than say 4 A4 pages, as for extension you are looking at 1500, so 5-6 A4 pages. Best advice though is to time yourself, write your essay in the set time and see how much you get through, as how much you can write is also dependent on your individual speed. I also offer tutoring for advanced and extension english, legal studies, geography, studies of religion, modern history and extension history. I received an atar of 97.75, and in regards to english got 48/50 for extension and 93 for advanced. I tutor in western sydney, so for more information feel free to contact me at zoe.tishler@hotmail.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)