How many times can a person transfer courses? (1 Viewer)

Yallaby1

HSC
I've heard of people transfering out of a course they don't like after 1 year is up, but i've never heard of someone tranfering a second or third time

HSC
You can probably do it as many times as you can afford to I believe.
I transferred from UTS (1.5 years)> UON (one term, hated it) > UNSW, so I transferred twice. *shrugs*

It happens. People either want to move up and into their dream course, or they want to do something else entirely. Pretty sure there's no limit on how many times you can transfer.

izzy88

HSC
Probably no limit however you may not get credit for all of your previous studies - thus overall it may end up talking for example, 4 yrs to complete a normal 3 yr course or something like that. So you will thus also overall pay more for the course than had you not transferred.

HSCAREA

HSC
N/A
It's harder to transfer out of a scholarship course right? (you have to pay back all the money right?).

I knew a girl who transfered into new course 4.5 years after she started her course. she was only half a year from finishing her degree!! that's so much time and money wasted. But she didn't like the current degree so that's why :/

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
It's harder to transfer out of a scholarship course right? (you have to pay back all the money right?).

I knew a girl who transfered into new course 4.5 years after she started her course. she was only half a year from finishing her degree!! that's so much time and money wasted. But she didn't like the current degree so that's why :/
That's really, really silly. She should have finished that degree and just done another one! Or done masters! That's such a lot of time to waste.

As for scholarship, no I don't think it works that way! I've never heard of people having to pay back a scholarship. I guess it depends on the terms of the scholarship but I think that it's pretty rare.

As for transferring more than once, yes it's absolutely fine, though I guess less people do it because I suppose once you've made one mistake (or weren't accepted into what you wanted straight away, etc) you have a pretty clear idea about what you want to head to after you've studied for a year. So for most people one transfer is normally enough. With me though, last year I did a b Arts (adv) which I didn't like, this year I tried out for a b Design but I didn't get in, so I'm doing a b Psychology instead. I'm not sure if I'll want to try out again for a b Design next year. If I do, that will have been my second transfer, but some of my subjects will credit over. It's annoying, and time wasting (though I am on a scholarship), but if you're not happy with what you're doing, another year extra isn't that much when it will affect such a large part of your life for many years.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Co-Op scholars have to pay back the money if they don't complete their internship for that session, which is perhaps where that perception is coming from

izzy88

HSC
There are special scholarships where if you don't complete the degree you have to pay back the money. Its not that rare - just purely depends on the scholarship and the requirements by whoever set them up. It makes sense in a way, you generally start up a scholarship to obtain some outcome - to enable people to complete the degree (especially where if the scholarship is for the completion or a degree or a major which is rare or uncommon, for example people from a particular background or something) - if they don't finish (and there aren't good reasons), then the money should be paid back so someone else who will complete the course will benefit. Harsh, but realistic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)