How many trial papers should I do for each of my subject

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Subjects in my footer - assuming I wanna top everything with a close to perfect score, how many trial papers should I do? My trials start around 8th August.... so about a month left. Contentwise I have to complete about half of the last module for the sciences. For 4u I have done the content, 3u I have done the content. But for both 3u and 4u I have to do some exercises from Cambridge before full trial papers. For english advanced, I have a common mod and mod A essay. But I have to make one for mod B and drafts for mod C as well. How should I be heading? Thanks!!!

Epicman69

HSC
Subjects in my footer - assuming I wanna top everything with a close to perfect score, how many trial papers should I do? My trials start around 8th August.... so about a month left. Contentwise I have to complete about half of the last module for the sciences. For 4u I have done the content, 3u I have done the content. But for both 3u and 4u I have to do some exercises from Cambridge before full trial papers. For english advanced, I have a common mod and mod A essay. But I have to make one for mod B and drafts for mod C as well. How should I be heading? Thanks!!!
If its proofs that you still need to do excercises for 4u, I highly recommend doing them, but if not then just don't bother with textbook work, and start grinding as many trial papers as possible, if you can manage, do all of them. English I can't really help, it will be my downfall, but I would still try to do as many as possible and this one you really need that teacher feedback from all of your English teachers not just your classroom one. Also for Phys and Chem again, its pretty much like maths, finish your content and try to do as many trial papers as possible.

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
fair fair - ig just trying to write paras with analysis that I can mould. I found that this triggers a state of flow when writing essays to unseen english questions

vishnay

God
HSC
fair fair - ig just trying to write paras with analysis that I can mould. I found that this triggers a state of flow when writing essays to unseen english questions
to each his own when it comes to memorising but i think it's highly beneficial to memorise ur responses

vishnay

God
HSC
The issues I have with memorisation are the following. What happens if a curveball question pops up? Especially with the recent English Advanced exams, the examiners are starting to steer away from questions that can be easily adapted to a memorised piece (I wonder why). For instance, the 2019 Module A question focuses on the theme of love for the Crucible or the 2020 Module C question forces candidates to write a creative rather than a discursive. These questions are almost impossible to prepare for with a memorised piece. Although with practice and understanding, rather than memorisation, you can guarantee success to a certain degree towards these curveball questions. Memorisation always has a chance to fail. This is why I prefer knowing and practising the content rather than memorising essays. But, as you said, each to their own and memorisation does sometimes work as evident by the Jeddle video.
the 2019 common module question for the crucible was quite easy to answer if u had half-decent adaptation skills and u should have a memorised creative and discursive ready to go for mod c

the level of sophistication required in english is quite difficult to prepare for unless u memorise or ur just an exceptional student

my friends and i who all got low-mid band 6's realised that the hsc english advanced exam is still suited to a memorising strat and we definitely wouldn't have gotten our band 6's otherwise

i haven't seen any major curveball questions as of yet that can't be dealt with memorisation + adaptation

vishnay

God
HSC
^^^people r free to share what works for them and argue against the effectiveness of the memorisation strat but i'm simply sharing my most effective strat which ik many ppl use and have success with

4321suomynona

HSC
I agree with memorising essays and believe that it is a great startegy. However, for example if they give u a curveball question for module b like talking about one character where u will have to write a whole essay for just one character (e.g Falstaff from khiv) but u have memorised an essay that contains a para on each diff character (3paras so 3characters) then u r kinda screwed cause u will only have one para that is gonna completely answer the question.
the 2019 common module question for the crucible was quite easy to answer if u had half-decent adaptation skills and u should have a memorised creative and discursive ready to go for mod c

the level of sophistication required in english is quite difficult to prepare for unless u memorise or ur just an exceptional student

my friends and i who all got low-mid band 6's realised that the hsc english advanced exam is still suited to a memorising strat and we definitely wouldn't have gotten our band 6's otherwise

i haven't seen any major curveball questions as of yet that can't be dealt with memorisation + adaptation

notme123

HSC
I agree with Vish. Memorize one exemplar adaptable essay, know your text, but also prepare additional paragraphs. For Common Module 1984 in the HSC, I had the opposite reaction to everyone who thought the question was easy because I was not comfortable answering such a question. I had to pull material from other paragraphs outside the adaptable to substitute evidence that did not link well. I'm sure with enough gymnastics you can make any essay work but preparing additionals will just make the essay more specialized to the question and make it less stressful I reckon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)