How much do school rankings actually matter? (1 Viewer)

13abie

HSC
I go to a school ranked 8th, probs going to be 6th or 7th this year.

Now the average atar is about 95.7 or something

but how does this benifit me? Im just above average for maths, chem and eco, well above average for english and top 5 for modern history and ext1.
I feel as if had I gone to a worse ranked school, I'd be more in control of my atar, as I think I am going to do significantly better in my external exams than I did internally, but at a lower ranked school I would have higher ranks, and thus could control my atar based on external performance.

Will I get adversely affected by the shitty ranks in this school? Also what is the point of helping the top kids and the bottem kids. How does the whole dragging up and dragging down thing work?

Sorry if this makes no sense, im not even entirley sure what im asking

tambam

HSC
The actual school ranking doesn't matter so much, as that changes every year.
But in a school ranked top 10, the standard of students would be significantly higher than at a lower ranked school.

Its actually beneficial to be in a good cohort, because of the way internal marks are moderated. With really good students in your cohort, the average of school's internal marks would be pushed up significantly if your school performs well as a whole in the hsc. Eg. You're average at your school with a mark of 70, but in the hsc you get a mark of 90, which is the average external mark at your school. Your internal mark would become 90 to match the relative standard of your school compared to all other schools.

& you want to help the bottom people at your school so that the average of your school in the external hsc exam will be higher, because this will affect how everyone's internal marks are moderated.

You'll find that an above average student at a well ranked school will perform better than even the best student at significantly lower ranked schools (there are exceptions though)
At lower ranked schools, unless your are ranked first in all your subjects, you run the risk of being dragged down by extremely poor performances of a lot of other students who don't care about studying

Last edited:

khfreakau

HSC
I go to a school ranked 8th, probs going to be 6th or 7th this year.

Now the average atar is about 95.7 or something

but how does this benifit me? Im just above average for maths, chem and eco, well above average for english and top 5 for modern history and ext1.
I feel as if had I gone to a worse ranked school, I'd be more in control of my atar, as I think I am going to do significantly better in my external exams than I did internally, but at a lower ranked school I would have higher ranks, and thus could control my atar based on external performance.

Will I get adversely affected by the shitty ranks in this school? Also what is the point of helping the top kids and the bottem kids. How does the whole dragging up and dragging down thing work?

Sorry if this makes no sense, im not even entirley sure what im asking
The main advantage of going to a good school is that if you happen to bomb externals, you'll be better off. Not only that, if someone happens to beat you in externals it could be advantageous to you depending on your rank.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Its not your rank that counts but your average deviation from the mean, say you're 100th but the mark difference between you and first is like 1, then there's going to be pretty much no difference. Now if you're in a good school which you are, the better your cohort does in the HSC external exams the better moderation your internal mark gets (For physics in our school i know a kid who had his internal mark moderated from 64 to 94), anyway say if you're in a bad cohort and you got the same grades, you marks won't be moderated advantageously so it's pretty much always good to be in a good school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)