How Much Harder is Ancient than Modern (1 Viewer)

ben

Ancient... hard? I think ancient is only hard because you have to remember too much content!!

For example, in Section I "With reference to sources, describe the military campaigns of BlaBla" ... it's just testing your knowledge of the course!

Of course, you need to be able to construct some sort of argument in the essays - but if you know the stuff, that's not hard... which is why I have gotten 24/25 and 25/25 for essays we have had as assessment tasks and 15-20/25 for exam essay :( :( :( :( :(

Last edited:

ben

What bits do you find tricky? I think remembering stuff is the hardest.

Last edited:

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
May I also propose a question to the people who are studying both Ancient AND Modern History?

Which is more interesting? Ancient or Modern History?

sif not 99

both are interesting,
the hardest thing is remembering historiography, although I seem to be able to somehow,

just particularly for Sparta you need to remember say evidence for lots and lots of things ranging from the Agoge, Apella, Religious festivals to the military, to the economy, land tenure, ephors, kings bah lots =)

Sanchez#1

Its rather profound trying to label either of them as harder. what it all comes down to is the person. To me I like ancient history, so i find it easy to learn and remember things.

If i held a dislike to the content, it would make studying it more difficult.

Sanchez#1

Well you can't let statistics alone derrive a conclusion. Statistically speaking every human has one testicle, although we all know that isn't true (I hope).

At the end of the day, if you enjoy your subject studying will be much easier. Agriculture is an easy subject, but i find it boring and pointless - thus my studies always left a lot to be desired.

Arch-man

Ancient is harder than Mod, as all you have to do in Anc. pretty much is regurgitate masses upon masses of content onto ur test paper.

Both subjects are equally as interesting, and I suppose it's how the teacher teaches it as well that makes it interesting or not.

Beth

All I have to say on this subject is that Ancient is a terrible subject, its hard and boring. Modern on the other hand is well not easy but not that hard either!! Modern is deffinately more interesting thats for sure!!;)

Lee

the reason why "ancient is harder" or modern is capped it becasue even if you did not take the course you could still easily get marks in the exam paper,m cause of the source question....but for ancient you must know things to get any marks. i find modern easier becasue you can make up sources, but for ancient they actually have to be real becasue there are only about 5 hiostorians!:) i like both subjects but thye are very different.

herbsby

Hey
I do both Ancient & modern, i find ancient much harder, i think its because in modern you can crap on heaps more, it all occurred in the past century, thus the wars etc can consist of a bit of common knowledge, and for topics such as Russia & communism you can crap on about Stalin as a tyrant etc, and you can make up heaps of sources. Also, with modern the questions are much more general, although you only have a choice out of 2 for essays, and in ancient you've sort of got 4 - the questions are so general that you can go into the exam only studying eg. for Russia just Stalin and either him as a tyrant or how he transformed Russia and you're sweet as!
But in ancient, for Augustus & Julio Claudians i am screwed!!! They can not only ask you a question on Nero - which is only a minor Julio Claudian, but a really specific one, such as how did his personal traits form his downfall! And you cant guess the question either, they are so specific! They expect you to write a 45min essay on only 2% of the syllabus! which means that for a subject that gets scaled down more than modern its completely and utterly F**ked!!!
but anyways! 4 weeks and its over right!!!!!! No point stressin!:)

Han

are we sure to get a question on Augustus?
coz im thinking of not bothering with the other JCs

theres just tooooo much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)