How Much Prior Knowledge is Required for Open High Schools French Continuers? (1 Viewer)

What should I do?

• You will be fine with basic knowledge.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You will be fine with extra study and/or intensive courses.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Change courses, you don't want to fall behind.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tavee222

HSC
So I am forced to do French Continuers in year 11 and 12 after being rejected to do French Beginners with Open High School as I have spent a considerable amount of time in France when I was younger. It seems it is too late to change it and so the issue is, I barely learnt any French at all while in France as I was going to an American School (only speaking english) and I barely spoke French while I was there. Now that I am older I have learnt a fair amount of basics in french but not the amount that I would expect most people going into the course would know.

So my questions are, how much are you expected to know when entering a continuers language course?
What specifically should I try to learn before starting?
Would I be able to catch up with extra study and outside of school intensive courses? (I am a very motivated worker)
And finally, even if I were to catch up, would those who have done 2-4 years of language classes prior to me be so far ahead in experience that I would be better off trying to switch to another course where I am starting with the same experience as my peers?

Note: no one else at my school is doing french continuers so I can't ask to see how much they already know.

I really do want to learn a language, especially French!

Sorry for the long and numerous questions, I only just got the email stating that my beginners course was rejected and it's too late to change so I am kind of freaking out...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)