how to be more productive? (1 Viewer)

gracegrape13

HSC
i'm entering yr 11 next year and i really need to stop pracrastinating. i think i'm going to start being more productive from term 4 so i'll be prepared for year 11. does anyone have any tips? i literally just have no energy, especially with lockdown.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
This is a really hard question to answer, people can only give you certain pointers but becoming productive or efficient is something only you know yourself. That's why I don't want to refrain from giving you direct advice since I don't want you finding out the techniques don't work for you and I wasted your time.

See what you did good this year, remember the times you were hard working and you put your head down and actually studied, even if it was 10 mins. Apply those techniques again and try to develop a routine. Pomodoro technique is a famous one for beating procrastination and it certainly is effective for most people but certain people don't find it beneficial - and this is the same case for other techniques. You just have to experiment, and you have the yearly holidays to do so, so don't sweat.

Also recognise that productivity is always fluctuating, you're going to be way more efficient in some days and way less efficient on another day and that's completely normal. What I'd say is that you would want to start working ahead of your peers or the class, now I'm not saying start studying Year 12 content and read every Shakespearean play known to man, but rather just get a slight headstart such as going over the first term content briefly, you'll find that you'll be more engaged and from it become more productive because you compensate the days where you're being lazy by making up for it before (if that makes sense).

Year 11 was extremely chill for me, you'll pull all nighters for sure but you should be fine for the most part. Just enjoy the year. All the best.

specificagent1

HSC
yoooooo i'm in year 12 and still tryna figure this one out, i think i got it semi sorted any pro gamer tips out there????!?!?!?

nah on a more serious note people can say/plan to do certain things but it takes time and self discipline to actually put them in practice. I highly recommend doing things as they come and not stacking them up

gracegrape13

HSC
yoooooo i'm in year 12 and still tryna figure this one out, i think i got it semi sorted any pro gamer tips out there????!?!?!?

nah on a more serious note people can say/plan to do certain things but it takes time and self discipline to actually put them in practice. I highly recommend doing things as they come and not stacking them up
i keep watching all those youtube videos about tips and there's so many but like lockdown just makes me not want to follow it. i used to get sudden bursts of energy once every two or three days which worked for me, but i've only been getting them once every two weeks. prob not the best anymore. like last term i made a whole school timetable i was ready to follow, but then school got cancelled so yea. maybe i'll try making a new timetable.

specificagent1

HSC
i keep watching all those youtube videos about tips and there's so many but like lockdown just makes me not want to follow it. i used to get sudden bursts of energy once every two or three days which worked for me, but i've only been getting them once every two weeks. prob not the best anymore. like last term i made a whole school timetable i was ready to follow, but then school got cancelled so yea. maybe i'll try making a new timetable.
yea lack of routine and stuff because of lockdown. try to build a routine with clear distinctions in between rather than just sitting at your desk the whole day

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Thats the problem lol. people who just unload 6 hours then burn out for 2 weeks don't exist in HSC settings, you can't just do everything in bursts in HSC because its just simply impossible with all the assignments and exams you'll be burdened with. Ensure you become more organised and methodological in how you complete tasks, develop a study plan and timetable to outline what you plan to do and how long. I don't use a study plan like a purist, I just use it off and on so it doesn't matter but as long as you know what you're going to do and if you're going to do it in X time then you should be fine for Year 11.

Lot of my classmates just do studying in bursts, like 5pm-3am somehow (i can't do that) but they end up extremely dissappointed when they make many silly mistakes in exams. my recommendation would be to try to study periodically, of course you might be better studying in blocks. Once again experiment.

HSC
What are you doing currently that isn't good? What is your routine, what are your goals and how you're working towards them now.

Last edited:

AKONS

HSC
In my personal experience these two things really help:
1) Remove timewasters (eg. insta, facebook, most youtubers) so you'll eventually get bored and feel more interested by study.
2) Develop clear goals and noble reasons for them - don't just write a want a 90 in English so I'll feel good. Write something that relates to how doing well will make your life easier, your values more defined, and your skills greater.

stressedadfff

HSC
In my personal experience these two things really help:
1) Remove timewasters (eg. insta, facebook, most youtubers) so you'll eventually get bored and feel more interested by study.
2) Develop clear goals and noble reasons for them - don't just write a want a 90 in English so I'll feel good. Write something that relates to how doing well will make your life easier, your values more defined, and your skills greater.
how do you stay motiivates i tend to sleep from 9pm nowadays since im so burnt out and exhausted and its literally the worst possible time but ive done barely anything in the last 3. weeks :(

AKONS

HSC
how do you stay motiivates i tend to sleep from 9pm nowadays since im so burnt out and exhausted and its literally the worst possible time but ive done barely anything in the last 3. weeks :(
I'd say keep up a routine (eg. wake up at the same time, eat whenever you start feeling weak). The main thing is take improvement in small increments. So tomorrow, do the biggest study step you'd be willing to complete. It can be as small as opening up a math textbook or doing a math question. Then try to compound it and do more the next day.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Has anyone used the anime-doro study method. If so I'm interested to learn about that experience. Currently I just do a past paper chill for a couple hours and then do another.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Yeah that's why I stick away from using netflix or other streaming applications because they literally entice you to keep on going further, like every show, anime or not, is filled with cliffhangers so you're influenced to keep on watching. You're much better off doing some weights, pull ups or pushups for your breaks if you can because it makes you feel so much better when you come back to your studies, or alternatively just take a nap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)