How to deal with being in Standard English? (1 Viewer)

Accurate

clix
HSC
Aight so I'm in Yr 10 right now and my marks for English were average so the head teacher came and told me I'm not suitable for Advanced English since I picked that, also to note we have a cap of 20 students for Advanced English (it's a small school). She said Advanced has way more workload than Standard which sounds bullshit to me because everyone on BoS says it has a similar workload but whatever. So now I'm put in Standard which is alarming because I heard only like 200 in the state get B6's for Standard English while thousands for Advanced get Band 6's.

So what should I do? Should i just try in Standard and that's the only best advice i can take?

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Overall it will be harder to get a higher mark in standard, but you also need to understand that getting band 6 in advanced isn't easy as well. So just because you do advanced does not necessarily mean you will get a better ATAR result in the end. It will be hard to probably get 97+ with standard because you will need to well in other subjects but I know quite a few people who did like standard and a bunch of low scaling subjects and they still got like 95 ATAR. If you can try to get into advanced and then you might be dropped if you perform poorly again but if you are struggling that much you should really consider getting a tutor if you can afford it for English. This is because often what you are taught in English class is not always focused on specifically writing an exam essay which a tutor could help you with

Accurate

clix
HSC
Overall it will be harder to get a higher mark in standard, but you also need to understand that getting band 6 in advanced isn't easy as well. So just because you do advanced does not necessarily mean you will get a better ATAR result in the end. It will be hard to probably get 97+ with standard because you will need to well in other subjects but I know quite a few people who did like standard and a bunch of low scaling subjects and they still got like 95 ATAR. If you can try to get into advanced and then you might be dropped if you perform poorly again but if you are struggling that much you should really consider getting a tutor if you can afford it for English. This is because often what you are taught in English class is not always focused on specifically writing an exam essay which a tutor could help you with
Sounds like I really took a big L. I really should have stopped being lazy and got an English tutor at the start of the year so I could have got into Advanced, oh well.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds like I really took a big L. I really should have stopped being lazy and got an English tutor at the start of the year so I could have got into Advanced, oh well.
if there's no chance to get into advanced it doesn't mean the end of your ATAR. Just see it as something that you need to work harder at and improve. If you put in the work then it won't negatively affect your ATAR that much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)